Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Info:
Collections:Your library, Read again, Farm Library
Rating:***
Tags:historical, classic

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877)

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (roby72)
    Crime and Punishment by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (Booksloth, luzestrella)
    luzestrella: when I got to the middle of the book I was shocked. It seens like the climax of all the main conclicts were already there. Why didn't the author cut the novel right there with that happy ending? Unnusual for a ficcion novel indeep. But for that particular reason, for me it has it's charm. The other half of the novel goes on describing what happened with the characters after they got what they wanted.… (more)
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (roby72)
    The Princesse de Cleves by Madame de La Fayette (andejons)
    andejons: Similar premises: married, upper class women fall in love with men of less than perfect moral standing. The outcomes are very different though.
    Emma by Jane Austen (roby72)
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: Like Tolstoy, Faber goes under his characters' skin, ponders their social manoeuvering, and follows the pitfalls and triumphs of their lives. Difference: Faber is funny and sometimes provocative and teasing in a "postmodern" way.
    What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina Reyn (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Irina Reyn updates the classic _Anna Karenina_ to the Russian diaspora of New York City.
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Henrik_Madsen)
    Henrik_Madsen: To romaner af murstensstørrelse der analyserer og beskriver overklassefamiliernes komplicerede liv.
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (alalba)
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (alalba)
    Eirelan by Liam O'Shiel (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Both books build complex stories that delve into the nature of loyalty in relationships.
    The Maias by Eca de Queiros (Anonymous user)
    A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (uri-starkey)
    Eine Frage der Schuld: Roman - Mit der «Kurzen Autobiographie der Gräfin S. A. Tolstaja»: Anläßlich der "Kreutzersonate" von Lew Tolstoi. Mit einem Nachwort von Ursula Keller by Sofja Tolstaja (Monika_L)

English (371)  Italian (8)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (403)
With the updated film version of this story already in production by Director, Joe Wright, Anna Karenina, the book, is bound to enjoy a revival — not that it has ever gone out of print or out of fashion. It’s simply too big a meal even for people who still have an appetite for books.

Anna Karenina, is a good story — no doubt about it. And while I’ll insert here the disclaimer that: (1) I’ve not yet read War and Peace; and (2) the version of Anna Karenina I read was a translation, I don’t share the literary world’s opinion that this may be one of the top five novels ever written.

Even discounting for some of the histrionics that may have been more peculiar both to the Russian aristocracy and to the pre-revolutionary times about which Tolstoy wrote, I think Tolstoy himself is a less than careful writer. Couple some sloppy prose with a questionable translation from the woman who was considered the doyenne of Russian-English translation at the time (also in Tolstoy’s time…they were acquainted), Constance Garnett, and you have, I think, a recipe for disaster.

If you’re going to venture forth with Anna Karenina anyway, do yourself a favor and get the more recent (and much better-executed) translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. This is a pair (he, American; she, Russian) who take the matter of translating the Russian classics very seriously.

RRB
04/16/11
Brooklyn, NY, USA
  RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
I was under the impression that this would be a "hard" book to read, partially because it was so thick (which doesn't usually daunt me), but mostly because Oprah made such a stink about reading it and how really intelligent people (like Sharon Stone ???) had read it. It wasn't that tough. I thought it was a bit dry, but actually, it was really interesting. I didn't have as hard a time with is as I have with other books I consider similar, like Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Prejudice. Overall, I liked the storyline of this novel and felt like I'd accomplished something special by reading it! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
*roars in victory* Finally finished reading this book. Fuck yes! ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
What a beautiful book! I had two translations, and--knowing I would read it only once--compared the two. The opening of the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation seemed to live up to its billing as a superlative translation. In essence, the translators disappear (as they should) and the book becomes simply a wonderfully told story from the late 19th century. The test of good piece of fiction rests on clearly differentiated characters. I cannot say I've ever seen a better accomplished novel than this one. The story plays out first as historical novel, giving one a good sense of Russia during the end of the tsar. It also shows us the interaction between the various characters' traits and the times to which they must adapt. Some do this better than others.

This book is not for those who will not take the time to adapt their inner ear to prose from the late 1800s. And it requires dedication simply because of its length. If you are not put off by these things, it will richly reward. ( )
  librken | Oct 29, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

On Ezzulia, a Dutch Bookcommunity, we had decide to read Anna Karenina in anticipation to the - then - upcoming movie. Bravely I started reading, but it wasn't what I had expected it to be.

First, Anna was a bitch. I didn't like reading about her, and her story was only a little part of the book.
Second, I was not all that interested in 19th century Russian agriculture.

I like my classic every now and then, but I thought this one was quite boring. I had to push myself to finish reading it, after about three months (!).
It reminded me of Couperus' book Eline Vere. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Each time I reread Anna Karenina, picking my way past the attics and cellars and rusting machinery of Tolstoy's obsessions and prejudices, a new layer of his craft emerges, to the point where, for all my admiration of Joyce, Beckett and Kelman, I begin to question whether the novel form isn't too artisanal a medium for the surface experimentation of the modernist project ever to transcend the flexing of space and time that apparently conventional language can achieve in the hands of a master.

Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schwartz, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Troyat, HenriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volohonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vengeance is mine; I will repay. ~ Deuteronomy 32:35
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (C. Garnett, 1946) and (J. Carmichael, 1960)
Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему. Всё смешалось в доме Облонских.
All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
All happy families resemble one another, every unhappy family is unhappy after its own fashion. (N. H. Dole, 1886)
All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (Pevear, Volokhonsky, 2000)
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be." [Anna, p744 (2000)]
"He has long ceased loving me. And where love stops, hatred begins." [Anna, p763 (2000)]
Every minute of Alexei Alexandrovich's life was occupied and scheduled. And in order to have time to do what he had to do each day, he held to the strictest punctuality. 'Without haste and without rest' was his motto. [p109 (2000)]
Every man, knowing to the smallest detail all the complexity of the conditions surrounding him, involuntarily assumes that the complexity of these conditions and the difficulty of comprehending them are only his personal, accidental peculiarity, and never thinks that others are surrounded by the same complexity as he is. [p302 (2000)]
Vronsky meanwhile, despite the full realization of what he had desired for so long, was not fully happy. He soon felt that the realization of his desire had given him only a grain of the mountain of happiness he had expected. It showed him the the eternal error people make in imagining that happiness is the realization of desires. [...] He soon felt arise in his soul a desire for desires, an anguish. [p465 (2000)]
This is the work for the complete Anna Karenina. Please do not combine with any of the works representing the individual volumes (see combination rules regarding part/whole issues for details), or with abridged versions. Thank you.

The original Russian title was “Анна Каренина”.

Please keep the Norton Critical Edition books un-combined with the rest of them - it is significantly different with thorough explanatory annotations, essays by other authors, and reviews by other authors. Thank you.
This is the work of Leo Tolstoy, not Henri Troyat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143035002, Paperback)

Some people say Anna Karenina is the single greatest novel ever written, which makes about as much sense to me as trying to determine the world's greatest color. But there is no doubt that Anna Karenina, generally considered Tolstoy's best book, is definitely one ripping great read. Anna, miserable in her loveless marriage, does the barely thinkable and succumbs to her desires for the dashing Vronsky. I don't want to give away the ending, but I will say that 19th-century Russia doesn't take well to that sort of thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0400)

Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Pevear and Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.… (more)

5 2085

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528611, 0140449175, 0141194324, 0141391898

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible