HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Loading...

Anna Karenina (original 1877; edition 2012)

by Leo Tolstoy

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
25,73145044 (4.15)5 / 1375
Member:megc11
Title:Anna Karenina
Authors:Leo Tolstoy
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 1182 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:None

Work details

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877)

  1. 151
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (roby72)
  2. 143
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Booksloth, luzestrella)
    luzestrella: when I got to the middle of the book I was shocked. It seens like the climax of all the main conclicts were already there. Why didn't the author cut the novel right there with that happy ending? Unnusual for a ficcion novel indeep. But for that particular reason, for me it has it's charm. The other half of the novel goes on describing what happened with the characters after they got what they wanted.… (more)
  3. 70
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (roby72)
  4. 60
    The Princesse de Cleves by Madame de La Fayette (andejons)
    andejons: Similar premises: married, upper class women fall in love with men of less than perfect moral standing. The outcomes are very different though.
  5. 51
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: Like Tolstoy, Faber goes under his characters' skin, ponders their social manoeuvering, and follows the pitfalls and triumphs of their lives. Difference: Faber is funny and sometimes provocative and teasing in a "postmodern" way.
  6. 52
    Emma by Jane Austen (roby72)
  7. 30
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Henrik_Madsen)
    Henrik_Madsen: To romaner af murstensstørrelse der analyserer og beskriver overklassefamiliernes komplicerede liv.
  8. 31
    What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina Reyn (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Irina Reyn updates the classic _Anna Karenina_ to the Russian diaspora of New York City.
  9. 42
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (alalba)
  10. 20
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (alalba)
  11. 10
    Eirelan by Liam O'Shiel (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Both books build complex stories that delve into the nature of loyalty in relationships.
  12. 11
    A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (uri-starkey)
  13. 22
    Een zuivere liefde by Sofja Tolstaja (Monika_L)
  14. 11
    The Maias by Eca de Queiros (Anonymous user)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (413)  Italian (10)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (448)
Showing 1-5 of 413 (next | show all)
READ IN DUTCH

On Ezzulia, a Dutch Bookcommunity, we had decide to read Anna Karenina in anticipation to the - then - upcoming movie. Bravely I started reading, but it wasn't what I had expected it to be.

First, Anna was a bitch. I didn't like reading about her, and her story was only a little part of the book.
Second, I was not all that interested in 19th century Russian agriculture.

I like my classic every now and then, but I thought this one was quite boring. I had to push myself to finish reading it, after about three months (!).
It reminded me of Couperus' book Eline Vere. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Tolstoy is a top five author for me, and Davina Porter is my favorite narrator. I have been wanting to re-read this, after 15 years have gone by, to see what I missed the first time around. I can't think of a better way to re-encounter this book! I am still astounded at the fact that Tolstoy could give this subject such in-depth treatment. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Tolstoy is the best of the best. It is amazing that he conceived this story about a woman who was chained in golden-handcuffs. But, I believe this happened more frequently than we realize. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Anna Karenina là một trong những tác phẩm hay nhất 200 năm qua

Anna Karenina là tác phẩm có số phiếu bầu cao nhất trong danh sách 10 tác phẩm vĩ đại nhất mọi thời đại

Anna Karenina được xem như một đỉnh cao của tiểu thuyết lãng mạn

Bốn năm sau khi viết xong tiểu thuyết Chiến tranh và hòa bình, khoảng 19 tháng 03 năm 1873 Tolstoy bắt đầu viết Anna Karenina. Sau khi hoàn thành, cuốn tiểu thuyết này đã đưa nhà văn lên một địa vị mới trên văn đàn văn học Nga và thế giới. Anna Karenina lập tức được xem là một trong những tiểu thuyết hay nhất của nên văn học nhân loại.

Ý nghĩa xã hội và tác dụng nhận thức các vấn đề lớn do cuốn truyện đặt ra đã được thể hiện bằng một ngòi bút điêu luyện bậc thầy. Vượt ra ngoài khuôn khổ của một tấn thảm kịch ngoại tình. Anna Karenina đã trở thành một bộ Bách khoa thư về đời sống xã hội. Bạn đã yêu Leo Tolstoy qua Chiến tranh và hòa bình? Vậy hãy đọc Anna Karenina để một lần nữa thấy được tư tưởng cũng như tài năng văn chương của ông.
  Phuong_Susu | Apr 6, 2016 |
i understand the merits of this book as a classic; the history, the detailed social hierarchies, the complicated relationships and levels of passion. But I was so bored by nearly every word. It was long and tedious and soul-sucking. I know now that most Russian literature is just not for me as many continue on in this way, if not nearly as dreary as Tolstoy. I prefer the French classics with their intrigue and action, less journalistic and far more mysterious. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 413 (next | show all)
Each time I reread Anna Karenina, picking my way past the attics and cellars and rusting machinery of Tolstoy's obsessions and prejudices, a new layer of his craft emerges, to the point where, for all my admiration of Joyce, Beckett and Kelman, I begin to question whether the novel form isn't too artisanal a medium for the surface experimentation of the modernist project ever to transcend the flexing of space and time that apparently conventional language can achieve in the hands of a master.
 

» Add other authors (93 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bayley, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bayley, JohnPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dole, Nathan HaskellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmonds, RosemaryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Farrell, James T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallero, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Garnett, ConstanceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ginzburg , LeoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gurin, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gurin, Morris S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hašková, TatjanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horovitch, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huisman, WilsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kool, Halbo C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leclée, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magarshack, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matulay, LaszloIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maude, AylmerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maude, Louise ShanksTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pevear, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pyykkö, LeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roseen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwartz, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Troyat, HenriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volohonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Vengeance is mine; I will repay. ~ Deuteronomy 32:35
Dedication
First words
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (C. Garnett, 1946) and (J. Carmichael, 1960)
Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему. Всё смешалось в доме Облонских.
All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
All happy families resemble one another, every unhappy family is unhappy after its own fashion. (N. H. Dole, 1886)
All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (Pevear, Volokhonsky, 2000)
Quotations
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be." [Anna, p744 (2000)]
"He has long ceased loving me. And where love stops, hatred begins." [Anna, p763 (2000)]
Every minute of Alexei Alexandrovich's life was occupied and scheduled. And in order to have time to do what he had to do each day, he held to the strictest punctuality. 'Without haste and without rest' was his motto. [p109 (2000)]
Every man, knowing to the smallest detail all the complexity of the conditions surrounding him, involuntarily assumes that the complexity of these conditions and the difficulty of comprehending them are only his personal, accidental peculiarity, and never thinks that others are surrounded by the same complexity as he is. [p302 (2000)]
Vronsky meanwhile, despite the full realization of what he had desired for so long, was not fully happy. He soon felt that the realization of his desire had given him only a grain of the mountain of happiness he had expected. It showed him the the eternal error people make in imagining that happiness is the realization of desires. [...] He soon felt arise in his soul a desire for desires, an anguish. [p465 (2000)]
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
This is the work for the complete Anna Karenina. Please do not combine with any of the works representing the individual volumes (see combination rules regarding part/whole issues for details), or with abridged versions. Thank you.

The original Russian title was “Анна Каренина”.

Please keep the Norton Critical Edition books un-combined with the rest of them - it is significantly different with thorough explanatory annotations, essays by other authors, and reviews by other authors. Thank you.
This is the work of Leo Tolstoy, not Henri Troyat.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143035002, Paperback)

Some people say Anna Karenina is the single greatest novel ever written, which makes about as much sense to me as trying to determine the world's greatest color. But there is no doubt that Anna Karenina, generally considered Tolstoy's best book, is definitely one ripping great read. Anna, miserable in her loveless marriage, does the barely thinkable and succumbs to her desires for the dashing Vronsky. I don't want to give away the ending, but I will say that 19th-century Russia doesn't take well to that sort of thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Pevear and Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 36 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.15)
0.5 3
1 75
1.5 12
2 212
2.5 45
3 716
3.5 166
4 1655
4.5 293
5 2215

Audible.com

28 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Penguin Australia

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528611, 0140449175, 0141194324, 0141391898

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

» Publisher information page

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

» Publisher information page

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

» Publisher information page

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

» Publisher information page

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible