Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Tender is the Night (1934)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (Penguin Critical Studies Guide) by Kathleen Parkinson (orlando85)
    orlando85: IMO it is his best book.
    Save Me the Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald (susanbooks)
    "Noch ein Martini und ich lieg unterm Gastgeber": Dorothy Parker. Eine Biografie by Michaela Karl (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Fitzgerald und seine Frau gehören auch zum Bekanntenkreis von Dorothy Parker. Die Biografie beschreibt die Atmosphäre der damaligen Zeit sehr gut: die glänzenden Anfänge und den Verfall: Sowohl Dorothy Parker als auch Fitzgerald waren sehr starke Trinker.… (more)
    Nightwood by Djuna Barnes (lilysea)
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (Lex23)
    Lex23: Both books beautifully describe a difficult relationship between a man and a woman with a psychiatric background

English (122)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  Estonian (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (132)
I tried to give F. Scott Fitzgerald a second chance and I didn't like this book either. I can see the skill in his writing. But the book is about shallow vain people who live shallow empty lives.

I don't understand Rosemary's mother. She encourages her daughter to pursue a married man. She sends her not yet 18 year old daughter off to travel with a married man that Rosemary says she is in love with.

Dick's "friend" is in serious trouble. And his only reaction is annoyance at the inconvenience to him.

It was interesting to see him sign his name as Dicole - for Dick and Nicole. The name combining for couples has been around longer than I thought. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
I just couldn't like this book. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
I found it hard to get into this book, it's a bit uneven, with jumps in time and location, and the characters all feel a bit flimsy. It's partly a timing thing as I was trying to read it just after the Brexit vote in the UK so was distracted by the news, but I think I expected something more like Gatsby in it's length and precision and this just didn't live up to that expectation. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Oct 9, 2016 |
This book has a great reputation, but I had a hard time with it. I just could not get in to it, and had to force myself to finish it. ( )
  ramon4 | Sep 26, 2016 |
... so, apparently quite a few people don't like this book?

But I loved it. I liked it probably more than I liked The Great Gatsby.

And something really cool happened to me while I was reading this book. So, a portion of this book is set in Italy. I happened to be in Italy when I was reading it, and I was staying in a hotel on the Via Nazionale (a street in Rome).

And F. Scott writes one of the characters walking that same street, and finding a restaurant or a hotel, or something similar. I was so surprised!

... but, okay, the book itself. The writing is beautiful. It took him five years to write this book, and I feel every minute of his work. The characters are emotionally vivid and raw and vulnerable, so very, very flawed.

My favourite part about Tender is the Night is that I can feel the author in it. I read this book for his voice, not necessarily for the plot or the characters, even.

So I'm not sure why people didn't like this book - it is a little heavy, and it deals with mental health issues and stigma, so I do understand that, but, F. Scott's writing is graceful, and I loved this book. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
The beauty of Tender lies as much in its parts as its whole. In just a snatch of dialogue or a few lines of description, Fitzgerald can evoke the happy, troubled and perilous balance of a group of friends or the moment when a long friendship is ruined for good. Pre-occupied with surfaces, he is never limited by them. His most persuasive characters are complex self-reflective creations; glamorous, but with a questioning intelligence, a sense of irony and the possibility of true integrity which makes it all the more tragic when they sacrifice themselves for cheap pleasures or worldly effect.
added by Nickelini | editIndependent, Melissa Benn (Mar 7, 2008)

"a confused exercise in self-pity"
added by GYKM | editThe Nation, Margaret Marshall

"Compared to the motivation in Faulkner, it is logic personified. "
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, John Chamberlain (Apr 16, 1934)

F. Scott Fitzgeraldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moix, TerenciTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pivano, FernandaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scribner III, CharlesIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shenton, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Already with thee! tender is the night...But here there is no light, Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown through verdurous glooms and winding mossy ways. -Ode to a Nightingale
TO

GERALD and SARA

MANY FETES
The hotel and its bright, tan prayer rug of a beach were one.
On the pleasant shore of the French Riviera, about half way between Marseilles and the Italian border, stands a large, proud, rose-colored hotel. [Sentence one, p. 3, of Scribner edition]
Diese deutsche Übersetzung "folgt der ursprünglichen Fassung von 1934. Die 1982 bei Diogenes ebenfalls unter dem Titel "Zärtlich ist die Nacht" erschienene Ausgabe beruhte auf einer 1951 bei Charles Scribner's Sons postum herausgegebenen Fassung."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 068480154X, Paperback)

In the wake of World War I, a community of expatriate American writers established itself in the salons and cafes of 1920s Paris. They congregated at Gertrude Stein's select soirees, drank too much, married none too wisely, and wrote volumes--about the war, about the Jazz Age, and often about each other. F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife, Zelda, were part of this gang of literary Young Turks, and it was while living in France that Fitzgerald began writing Tender Is the Night. Begun in 1925, the novel was not actually published until 1934. By then, Fitzgerald was back in the States and his marriage was on the rocks, destroyed by Zelda's mental illness and alcoholism. Despite the modernist mandate to keep authors and their creations strictly segregated, it's difficult not to look for parallels between Fitzgerald's private life and the lives of his characters, psychiatrist Dick Diver and his former patient turned wife, Nicole. Certainly the hospital in Switzerland where Zelda was committed in 1929 provided the inspiration for the clinic where Diver meets, treats, and then marries the wealthy Nicole Warren. And Fitzgerald drew both the European locale and many of the characters from places and people he knew from abroad.

In the novel, Dick is eventually ruined--professionally, emotionally, and spiritually--by his union with Nicole. Fitzgerald's fate was not quite so novelistically neat: after Zelda was diagnosed as a schizophrenic and committed, Fitzgerald went to work as a Hollywood screenwriter in 1937 to pay her hospital bills. He died three years later--not melodramatically, like poor Jay Gatsby in his swimming pool, but prosaically, while eating a chocolate bar and reading a newspaper. Of all his novels, Tender Is the Night is arguably the one closest to his heart. As he himself wrote, "Gatsby was a tour de force, but this is a confession of faith."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

A story of Americans on the French Riviera in the 1930s is a portrait of psychological disintegration as a wealthy couple supports friends and hangers-on financially and emotionally at the cost of their own stability.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183594, 0141045213

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible