The Emerald Dress by Vivienne Kearns

The Emerald Dress (edition 2019)

by Vivienne Kearns (Author)

Dublin, 1719. Abigail Harton accepts a commission to design and embroider an emerald silk damask for weaver Hugh Gavin, setting off a chain of events that will change her life forever.
Member:riversong
Title:The Emerald Dress
Authors:Vivienne Kearns (Author)
Info:Poolbeg Press (2019), Edition: 1

The Emerald Dress by Vivienne Kearns

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Emerald Dress, a novel by Vivienne Kearns, begins in Los Angeles, CA in the present day. Most of the action in the book takes place through long flashbacks to Dublin, Ireland in 1719.

Vivienne Kearns presents a well-researched look at life in early 18th century Dublin. She describes the living conditions, societal boundaries, food, dress and manners through the story of Abigail Harton, Hugh Gavin and Dr. Monroe.

Abigail, a doctor’s daughter, face certain societal expectations and restrictions on her behavior but goes against them by using her embroidery talents to help her family financially. The love story that develops between Abigail, the weaver Hugh and Dr. Monroe revolves around these restrictions.

It’s an engaging story if somewhat overwrought at times. It brings the period to life and cleverly intertwines the past and the present. It took me a while to get into the book, there were probably too many characters and I found the ending rather tame after the action in the middle of the book. ( )
  j.alice | Oct 12, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Abigail does not know what to do. While she can support her fathers desire to work with the poor, he is bringing no money into the house and their family is near starvation. Abigail decides to take work secretly embroidering gowns for the wealthy. This will not only put food on the table but it may help her brother who has been very ill. Abigail does not mind the work, however she does not want it to be common knowledge as she is sure that her prospects of finding a husband will be diminished if anyone found out. Her prospects appear to change for the better when one of her fathers position partners takes an interest in her and her family. However, Abigail cannot decide if she is relieved at his attentions for the sake of her family or if she truly loves him. This was a great book and also had a contemporary story line running along with the historical period. Thank you Library thing and early review for the copy of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it ( )
  chrirob | Oct 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The like the idea of the book the story of a women researching her ancestors mixed with the story of the lives of her ancestors. Unfortunately I didn't really get into the characters. The modern part needed more development. Had finding out more about her ancestors helped her understand her family? In the historical part I would have liked more about her father. It didn't seem believable he didn't realize his family needed money. The book has potential fell a little short. ( )
  Bibliohound | Oct 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book for free from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

I tried, but I really couldn't get into this book. I love historical fiction, but somehow I couldn't get into the book. I wouldn't have finished the book if I hadn't gotten it for free. The characters didn't really interest me and I can't explain why. I'm not sure if it was the writing or if I just didn't find the characters appealing. Either way, it wasn't for me. I wouldn't recommend it. The Emerald Dress is an easy read, but still took me a while, since I wasn't that interested in reading it. ( )
  KatKealy | Sep 9, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Abigail Harton, the daughter of a doctor, is at her wit's end. Her father has put all of his money into a hospital, leaving her and her mother to manage the best they can. They embroider for a dressmaker, and Abigail sells a design for an emerald-silk damask cloth. Will the arrival of another doctor be the savior they need?

I'll start off by saying the modern-day parts had no connection to the rest of the book. It wasn't fleshed out well enough to be interesting, and I found it really annoying.

I also didn't much care for the narrative style of the novel. At times, the characters knew what the other characters were feeling, only for me to realize that the narrative had changed to a different person. It was confusing and irritating.

Abigail could have been an interesting character, but I could see the plot outcome very early and became frustrated with her. The rest of the cast was not very interesting.

Overall, I feel like this book could have used a lot more time before publishing. I received a free copy on LibraryThing and all opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  TheQuietReader | Sep 2, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Vivienne Kearns's book The Emerald Dress is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,811,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible