Ration by Cody Luff

Ration

by Cody Luff

711,688,384 (4.75)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was provided an advance copy of this book by the publisher to review.

Ration is quite a unique book, it's a set in a world where all the men have perished, food is in short supply, girls are forced to live in communes where their food is strictly controlled, and as it turns out, these communes are farms. Yes, farms. The women are farming the girls, for food and body parts.

The story begins with the consumption of a 'A ration' the top tier of food ration, with the food in the commune being so tightly controlled, should the quota of these rations be exceeded it means a girl from that floor of the commune is then sent for 'processing'. I'm sure you can work out what that means. The girls from the floor from which a girl is taken then accuse Cynthia, a girl from the floor below of ordering the 'A ration' in question and punish her by stamping on her hands until they're mangled and broken.

This sets off a chain of events that ultimately leads to the collapse of the commune and Cynthia being released and exploring the surrounding area in which we learn more about the world in which the story is set.

Despite not being a genre I'd typically read I found the story was quite enthralling the way it slowly unraveled a detailed albeit ghastly picture of the dystopian world in which it is set. Whilst there's considerable of violence and some coarse language none of these instances seemed out of place or over the top for the nature of the story being told.

I enjoyed it and I think readers who enjoy a good dystopian tale would too. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Aug 7, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Cody Luff's book Ration is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,391,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible