The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C.S.…

The Dark Tower and Other Stories (original 1977; edition 1977)

by C.S. Lewis

"A repackaged edition of the revered author's definitive collection of short fiction, which explores enduring spiritual and science fiction themes such as space, time, reality, fantasy, God, and the fate of humankind. From C.S. Lewis--the great British writer, scholar, lay theologian, broadcaster, Christian apologist, and author of Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, The Chronicles of Narnia, and many other beloved classics--comes a collection of his dazzling short fiction. This collection of futuristic fiction includes a breathtaking science fiction story written early in his career in which Cambridge intellectuals witness the breach of space-time through a chronoscope--a telescope that looks not just into another world, but into another time. As powerful, inventive, and profound as his theological and philosophical works, The Dark Tower reveals another side of Lewis's creative mind and his longtime fascination with reality and spirituality. It is ideal reading for fans of J. R. R. Tolkien, Lewis's longtime friend and colleague"--… (more)
Member:sullijo
Title:The Dark Tower and Other Stories
Authors:C.S. Lewis
Info:Harvest Books (1977), Paperback, 168 pages
Tags:@home, fiction, short stories

The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C. S. Lewis (1977)

A collection of stories by C.S. Lewis, including the time-travel story of the title. It's not finished, but it would have been an interesting read - the Dark Tower itself turns out to be a replica of Cambridge University Library, built in an Othertime by people who our hero tries to understand. I think Lewis was probably better advised to go to Venus rather than take this route, but there are elements of the story that made it into That Hideous Strength. I see that there is some controversy about the extent to which Lewis's literary executor Walter Hooper may have had a hand in the text; I didn't detect anything that set off my alarm bells.

The other interesting fragment in the book is the very last one, about Helen's return to Menelaus after the siege of Troy - only a few pages, but taking the stroy in a slightly different direction.

I had not realised that Lewis published two stories in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. One of these, "Ministering Angels", is an awful pile of sexism, but the other, "Forms of Things Unknown", struck me as rather good, as did the two other complete shorts, "The Shoddy Lands" and "The Man Born Blind". ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 10, 2015 |
This collection of mostly unfinished tales was an interesting read. First, the preface by Lewis' former secretary Walter Hooper was worth a read. Hooper explained that much of Lewis' work was disposed of in a bonfire by Lewis' older brother. What we're presented with here is what he was able to save from incineration and Hooper as the executor of Lewis' literary estate held onto.

Questions have been presented as to whether Lewis actually wrote all these stories or if Hooper embellished or outright wrote some.

Regardless, most of the stories weren't reaching the heights of Lewis' works that I'm familiar with- (Screwtape Letters and Chronicles of Narnia). They were just OK. Maybe that's why he had put them aside long ago and just never finished them. Fortunately, the last few stories were really enjoyable. Unfortunately, what may have been my favorite, "After Ten Years," was another among the unfinished.

"After Ten Years" tells the story of what happened AFTER Troy was defeated and Helen was taken back. It's upsetting and yet in a way, wonderful that Lewis didn't finish it. It lets the reader fill-in his or her own blanks in a tale begun by a master. ( )
1 vote Sean191 | Oct 29, 2009 |
This collection includes two fragments of novels, The Dark Tower (an unfinished sequel to Out of the Silent Planet) and After Ten Years (set just after the Trojan War), and several short stories. It is lesser Lewis but not without redeeming moments. My review is at http://stromata.tripod.com/id76.htm ( )
  TomVeal | Jul 1, 2006 |

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewis, C.S.main authorall editionsconfirmed
'Of course,' said Orfieu, 'the sort of time-travelling you read about in books - time-travelling in the body - is absolutely impossible.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,795,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible