The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton

The Everlasting Man (1925)

by G. K. Chesterton

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
I read this book in 2014 and could not find a single margin note of mine in the entire book - which surprised me because I like Chesterton's writings. Without my margin notes, I cannot provide a just review, except to say that I do recall enjoying all of Chesterton's books that I read. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 5, 2017 |
You can read my full review at Quieted Waters.
The Everlasting Man is second in my series of books to fill my year with G. K. Chesterton. I continue to appreciate Chesterton for his wit, eloquence, and admiration for beauty and joy; while I am beginning to have some hesitation with his overall body of work.

This particular title splits into two parts, divided by Christ’s advent. Chesterton’s first half focuses on the world before Jesus and the way in which its religions developed. He lists and describes many ancient religions, showing how they all paved the way for Christianity. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |
Contains the great explanation for why Romans were convicted against Carthage -- the New Town. Describes Rome "rising from the dead", where it was placed under the foot of The Grace of Baal--"Hannibal".

Contains the "short story of mankind" - with the figure of Christ.
  keylawk | Dec 30, 2012 |
C.S. Lewis recommended this book more than any other. ( )
  Eagleduck86 | Aug 22, 2011 |
Never give one example when three will do; that is G. K. Chesterton's motto. Most people probably get the feeling that he makes a witty point and then runs it into the ground once or twice a page. But it is an entertaining style and there is a complex and coherent line of reasoning behind his one-liners. (Three-liners, really.) ( )
  Musecologist | Nov 20, 2008 |
There are two ways of going home; and one of them is to stay there.
Art is the signature of man.
there are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
It never came into the mind of a monkey to bury another monkey with nuts in his grave to help him to the heavenly monkey house.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0898704448, Paperback)

What, if anything, is it that makes the human uniquely human? This, in part, is the question that G.K. Chesterton starts with in this classic exploration of human history. Responding to the evolutionary materialism of his contemporary (and antagonist) H.G. Wells, Chesterton in this work affirms human uniqueness and the unique message of the Christian faith. Writing in a time when social Darwinism was rampant, Chesterton instead argued that the idea that society has been steadily progressing from a state of primitivism and barbarity towards civilization is simply and flatly inaccurate. "Barbarism and civilization were not successive stages in the progress of the world," he affirms, with arguments drawn from the histories of both Egypt and Babylon.

As always with Chesterton, there is in this analysis something (as he said of Blake) "very plain and emphatic." He sees in Christianity a rare blending of philosophy and mythology, or reason and story, which satisfies both the mind and the heart. On both levels it rings true. As he puts it, "in answer to the historical query of why it was accepted, and is accepted, I answer for millions of others in my reply; because it fits the lock; because it is like life." Here, as so often in Chesterton, we sense a lived, awakened faith. All that he writes derives from a keen intellect guided by the heart's own knowledge. --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:50 -0400)

G. K. Chesterton's epic, legendary tome chronicles the history of humanity and Christianity. His work was so influential, it is said to have been the driving force behind C. S. Lewis' conversion and literary masterpieces. Here, Chesterton talks about his own spiritual journey while exploring the pinnacle definition of Christian Orthodoxy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,062,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible