dismiss

The Baron and The Enchantress (An Enchantress Novel Book 3)

by Paullett Golden

432,635,205 (5)None
Lilith Chambers' quiet life as a parish midwife shatters when the brother thought responsible for her death discovers she's alive and well. Having been raised in an orphanage, she has few memories of her real parentage or the circumstances of her disappearance from the life she ought to have. As she reorients herself in a new life, she meets the one man she can't have. Walter Hobbs, Baron Collingwood, is struggling to assume the mantle of his untimely inheritance. Then he meets Lilith Chambers, the long-lost daughter of the 15th Earl of Roddam. He is struck by love at first sight. She is everything he could ever want in a woman, except for two inconveniences: she is illegitimate, and she wants nothing to do with him.This is the love story of Walter and Lilith as they discover themselves through each other.… (more)

A great sequel and lovely continuation to Lilth's story
1 vote ashenowl | Oct 23, 2019 |
I was excited to read The Baron and The Enchantress because Lilith Chambers has been a mystery to me throughout this series and in this book, she was finally going to be properly introduced. I say ‘mystery’ because Lilith’s character was presented in book one, The Earl and the Enchantress, but very briefly and only as long-lost sister to Sebastian Lancaster. From the start, when she had learned of her brother’s existence, she was more than a little resistant to the idea of accepting all that she was entitled to. For Lilith, her life before she came to the orphanage was an unknown and she had long since accepted where her future was going to lead and she was content with that path. So, when she learned that she had a brother, that she was a Lady, and that he wanted her to return to his life and to a life of an upper-class Lady, her answer was a flat-out refusal. I just had to understand why she had taken this stance because so many others would have jumped at the chance that was being offered.

The idea of a brother, of family, was exciting to Lilith but having anything to do with the upper class, well, that was not a palatable idea to her. Lilith’s life as an orphan had taught her that those with a title were unworthy of esteem and to be despised. Except for her brother and his wife, to her they had proven themselves different, but they were the only exception in her vast experience. It was for this reason that Lilith had been dragging her feet about staying with her brother but, with the arrival of his first born, it was the perfect “test” opportunity to see what his “world” would be like for her. Lilith was sure that she was going to come back to her simple existence, she was adamant that the reveals that had rocked her world were not going to make any bit of difference. Unfortunately, she was wrong in many ways and the journey that she was about to embark on would be one that would forever fundamentally change not only her but those around her as well.

The Baron and The Enchantress is Lilith’s story but can I say that Walter Hobbs, Baron Collingwood, was the absolute star! He was so endearing and his pursuit of Lilith was seriously the sweetest thing because he was so giving to her needs! It is rare, in historical romance, to have a male lead who lays it all out there and gives everything for the lady he has his heart set on without him first making a mash of everything. The amount of patience that he exhibited was commendable because Lilith was fully committed to her “feelings” on what titled people were capable of and what it was that she, herself, wanted. She was the obstinate one in this book but with great reason and, even though I wanted to shake some sense into her on more than one occasion in this story, I understood her fears and what was holding her in stasis. The Baron and The Enchantress was such a lovely story! The relationship between Lilith and Walter is complex, challenging, and completely satisfying to readers who love a memorable romance. I highly recommend not only this book but The Enchantresses series as well.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Author, Paullett Golden. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
1 vote TheGenreMinx | Aug 9, 2019 |
Series: The Enchantresses #3
Publication Date: 8/7/19
** 4.5 Stars **

I do believe this author has definitely hit her stride in the great addition to The Enchantresses series. It is delightfully engaging and filled with endearing characters, humor, heartbreak, and a lovely HEA. It is a well-told, realistic tale, but it is a bit slow-paced. If you are looking for excitement, you will not find it in this book. The story is steady and develops step-by-step just as it would in real life.

Lilith Chambers

We first learned of Lilith in the first book of the series, The Earl and The Enchantress. Lilith was ripped from her brother, Sebastian, at the age of eight and dumped in an orphanage where she lived until she came into adulthood. After that, she became a teacher at the orphanage as well as a talented midwife.

Lilith had a real dislike and distrust of anyone from the upper classes – from landed gentry on up. Why would she ever trust them? Her mother didn’t want her anymore and her cruel father dumped her off at the orphanage and she never heard from her brother again – well – until she did – not too long ago. He thought she was dead all of this time. Sebastian’s father had convinced Sebastian that it was his fault that his sister was dead.

Sebastian has made a substantial donation to the orphanage where Lilith was raised and it is managed by the local rector, Harold Sands. Lilith has dreams of being able to help the orphans but also being able to help the women who have fallen in one way or another and have to place their children in the orphanage.

Sebastian has been visiting with Lilith in her small village of Allshire off and on for the last months and now, it is time for Lilith’s first visit to his home. She’s acting as a midwife for Sebastian’s wife, Lizbeth, who is about ready to give birth.

To me, it seems that Lilith doesn’t just dislike the upper crust, she has a large inferiority complex. She’d never admit it – but she never feels quite adequate around them and is sure that all of them are looking down on her.

Walter Hobbs, Baron Collingwood

Walter has been adrift – all of his life, but especially for the last few years, since his father died. He feels guilty for his father’s death and he feels guilty for all of the time he wasted and didn’t spend with his father. He wants to make his mark on the world but just can’t decide what that mark should be or even how to get started if he did know. He thinks he’d like to start an orphanage but isn’t sure just how to go about doing it and just procrastinates. In a way, he actually suffers from melancholia – or maybe it is ennui – whatever, he just can’t get himself motivated.

He and his mother are spending time with his cousin Lizbeth as she awaits the arrival of her first child. He’s excited for his cousin and can’t wait for the arrival.

His mother has been encouraging him to wed, but he just hasn’t seen anyone who interested him. Those young, immature debutantes can’t even carry on an intelligent conversation.

I loved Walter. It was so much fun to watch him come to grips with himself. He is such a priggish fellow – always immaculately attired, not a hair out of place nor a speck of dust anywhere and the model of decorum, manners, and propriety. Then, this goddess comes gliding across the lawn toward him and he is absolutely gobsmacked! She is the exact opposite of him – she isn’t dressed in anything fashionable, nor does she care to be, she says what she thinks when she thinks it, she is intelligent – and she doesn’t like him a bit.

I loved Walter’s description of Lilith’s smile. “Oh, he had missed that laugh. Low and sultry, a velvet kiss on the ear.”

My thoughts:

I loved this book even with the slow pacing. I came to really like and admire each of the main characters and could fully see how they came to care for each other over a period of time. Even after Walter came to think that Lilith was the one with whom he could spend his life, he realized the ramifications of a life with her – especially if she chose NOT to be the full sister of Sebastian. I also loved that Lilith realized that she had to come to terms with what she wanted in her life – could she forsake everything she’d worked for and her place of respect in the village and embrace the aristocratic life in order to be with Walter?

I didn’t care for the villain because he was basically a milquetoast villain. He acted more like a spoiled little brat than a real villain – and yet with all he did do, he didn’t pay any price at all. This bloodthirsty reader wants the villains to pay – commensurate with the harm they cause. So, for this villain, I would have liked for him to have been transferred to a parish at the end of the world with no chance of moving up in the clergy – but that didn’t happen.

I would have loved it if Lilith had her grand epiphany not long after leaving the village the second time and then she and Walter would work together to figure out how to undo the damage wrought by the villain AND to avoid a scandal while introducing her to society. Walter was left out of all of that part of the story and I hated that. Having them work together would have given them more bonding time and solidified their relationship rather than just ending abruptly as it did. But then – if it were written my way, I would be an author rather than a reader. Still…

I definitely recommend this book and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
1 vote BarbaraRogers | Aug 3, 2019 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Paullett Golden's book The Baron and The Enchantress was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Paullett Golden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,200,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible