The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers

The Nine Tailors

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Series: Lord Peter Wimsey (11)

3,186861,753 (4.07)2 / 342

English (84)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (86)
I read this book quite a few years ago now (about 10 or more I'd guess), but had never added it here because it was a book I had borrowed. I am planning to go back and read/re-read more of Sayers work. I know I didn't read all of them yet but I can't remember which I have read already, so I will just read them all and mark it here if it's a re-read. I think i liked this one even more the second time around. Great storytelling. Recommended to mystery fans. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
An excellent mystery. This is the second Dorothy Sayers I've read. I really enjoy her mysteries. Satisfyingly complicated and tricky. Except for the whole "change ringing" theme. I was completely lost any time they were talking about it. But you'll never guess "who dun it." ( )
  jennannej | Jul 13, 2017 |
Slow moving but ultimately a wonderfully satisfying Lord Peter mystery. Need I say more? ( )
  atimco | Jul 9, 2017 |
I'm not original in calling this a masterpiece of the genre. Sayers' mysteries seem to bring in so many moral questions, the value of loyalty, community etc. This is certainly a gripping murder mystery but also gives much further food for thought. ( )
1 vote kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers

My introduction to Lord Peter Wimsey was via the 1970s TV series staring the excellent Ian Carmichael as the aristocratic sleuth. I recall my mother and I being amused to see Ian Carmichael in this role when we thought of him primarily as Bertie Wooster in the original 1960s TV adaptation of Jeeves with Dennis Price playing the unflappable valet.

In my mind the Lord Peter Wimsey tales were simply cosy crime stories. That is how I perceived them in the TV show and that is how I thought of the novels until reading The Nine Tailors.

I have to confess that this is the first Dorothy L Sayers novel I have read. It did not disappoint but until my curiosity was aroused by a few un-sleuth-story-like allusions I did not think the tale was anything other than a cosy crime novel.

My reaction to the book on the cosy crime story level is that it very much fits the bill of the golden age of crime novels and is enjoyable in that context alone. I must admit the book brought out the aristocracy element more than I had recalled from the shows and I was finding myself a bit annoyed at the deference shown to someone with a title on the basis of nothing other than their privileged position. Lord Peter did, of course, have his reputation as rather a good sleuth.

The first thing that raised my suspicion that Sayers was doing something more than writing a detective story was the mention of Abbot Thomas. The name “Abbot Thomas” rang bells (how apropos) at the back of my mind. “Of course,” thought I, M. R. James. He has a story called [The Treasure of Abbot Thomas]. There’s a coincidence. I wonder if Abbot Thomas was a real person and his tomb is in the fens.”

Next I found intricate descriptions of carvings on the pews in the parish church. This reminded me of M.R. James’s story [The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral].

I was subsequently amused to see a chapter starting with a quote from [Wylder’s Hand] by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, the nineteenth century writer of horror stories whose tale, [Carmilla], is considered to have influenced Bram Stoker in his writing of [Dracula]. Le Fanu’s work is not as well known generally as it deserves to be so I was intrigued at Sayers quoting one of these pieces.

My curiosity roused I turned to the omnipresent Google. I entered, “The Nine Tailors Abbot Thomas Le Fanu”, and clicked the search icon. The first result of my search was:

The link took me to a paper in the academic journal, “The Irish Journal of Gothic and Horror Stories”.

This paper is entitled:
“Providence and Intertextuality: LeFanu, M. R. James, and Dorothy Sayers' The Nine Tailors”

It was not just my imagination. I was not the first one to notice the links. It appears Sayers was a great fan of the Gothic tale and very fond of works of Le Fanu and M R James. Being a fan of these tales too I found another level of pleasure in reading The Nine Tailors. Finding out something about an author’s interests can open up an entirely new dimension of enjoyment when reading their work.
You can read the academic paper for yourself. I will not repeat the way it explains how The Nine Tailors is structured as a Gothic novel and how it contains many of the tropes that define the genre. I had been wondering about the inclusion of the final part of The Nine Tailors as it was not necessary to resolve or explain the crime. The academic paper demonstrates that this section serves the purpose of finishing the story in the style of a Gothic novel.

I had been thinking that while I enjoyed reading this novel I probably would not deliberately chase down more stories by Dorothy L Sayers. Now that I know she has hidden Gothic allusions and structures in her works I am more enthusiastic about reading more of her books. As it happens, my wife is a great fan of Sayers’ novels so we have a few of them around the house. I wonder if my wife knew she was reading Gothic stories. ( )
4 vote pgmcc | Mar 11, 2016 |

Ledwidge, NatachaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Næsted, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By the Course Ends 64352
8th the Observation
Call her in the middle with a double, before, wrong and home. Repeated once.
The coil of rope which is necessary to hold in the hand, before, and whilst raising a bell, always puzzles a learner; it gets into his face, and perhaps around his neck (in which case he may be hanged!). TROYTE 'On Change Ringing'

'That's torn it! said Lord Peter Wimsey.

When his sexton finds a corpse in the wrong grave, the rector of Fenchurch St Paul asks Lord Peter Wimsey to find out who the dead man was and how he cane to be there.
The lore of bell-ringing and a brilliantly-evoked village in the remote fens of East Anglia are the unforgettable background to a story of an old unsolved crime and its violent unravelling twenty years later.
The church bells have more

character than the ones

who stay to ring them.

(legallypuzzled)

The Nine Tailors is Dorothy L. Sayers's finest mystery, featuring Lord Peter Whimsey, and a classic of the genre.

The nine tellerstrokes from the belfry of an ancient country church toll out the death of an unknown man and call the famous Lord Peter Whimsey to investigate the good and evil that lurks in every person. Steeped in the atmosphere of a quiet parish in the strange, flat fen-country of East Anglia, this is a tale of suspense, character, and mood by an author critics and readers rate as one of the great masters of the mystery novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

When the parish church bells toll out the death of an unknown man, Lord Peter investigates the sinister affair.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,647,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible