Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers

The Nine Tailors (edition 1966)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

3,384882,349 (4.07)2 / 373
Member:Atlas
Title:The Nine Tailors
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:Harvest Books (1966), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Favorites (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, Lord Peter, fiction

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers

English (86)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (88)
Wimsey gets involved in a village's goings on, becoming friendly with the local rector, stepping in for a sick bell-ringer for the New Year's Peal, & embroiling himself in the area's 2 biggest mysteries—a mutilated corpse in the graveyard & an emerald necklace 20 years missing. The thematic color in this book is INTERMINABLY dull—the mathematics of church bell change ringing & the history of the Fens feature overmuch. However, the mystery is ASTOUNDING & the ending is honestly moving. REC: IDEK ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
Maybe a bit heavy on the campanology, but a great mystery. Excellent for a long train ride or a cold afternoon. Excellent characters, good twists, &c. ( )
  JBD1 | Nov 27, 2018 |
Peter Wimsey is wonderful as usual, but the best part of the book is the detailed relation between the plot and the traditions of english bell ringing.
  toddrains | Jan 28, 2018 |
I read this book quite a few years ago now (about 10 or more I'd guess), but had never added it here because it was a book I had borrowed. I am planning to go back and read/re-read more of Sayers work. I know I didn't read all of them yet but I can't remember which I have read already, so I will just read them all and mark it here if it's a re-read. I think i liked this one even more the second time around. Great storytelling. Recommended to mystery fans. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
An excellent mystery. This is the second Dorothy Sayers I've read. I really enjoy her mysteries. Satisfyingly complicated and tricky. Except for the whole "change ringing" theme. I was completely lost any time they were talking about it. But you'll never guess "who dun it." ( )
  jennannej | Jul 13, 2017 |

Ledwidge, NatachaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Næsted, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By the Course Ends 64352
8th the Observation
Call her in the middle with a double, before, wrong and home. Repeated once.
The coil of rope which is necessary to hold in the hand, before, and whilst raising a bell, always puzzles a learner; it gets into his face, and perhaps around his neck (in which case he may be hanged!). TROYTE 'On Change Ringing'

'That's torn it! said Lord Peter Wimsey.

When his sexton finds a corpse in the wrong grave, the rector of Fenchurch St Paul asks Lord Peter Wimsey to find out who the dead man was and how he cane to be there.
The lore of bell-ringing and a brilliantly-evoked village in the remote fens of East Anglia are the unforgettable background to a story of an old unsolved crime and its violent unravelling twenty years later.
The church bells have more

character than the ones

who stay to ring them.

(legallypuzzled)

The Nine Tailors is Dorothy L. Sayers's finest mystery, featuring Lord Peter Whimsey, and a classic of the genre.

The nine tellerstrokes from the belfry of an ancient country church toll out the death of an unknown man and call the famous Lord Peter Whimsey to investigate the good and evil that lurks in every person. Steeped in the atmosphere of a quiet parish in the strange, flat fen-country of East Anglia, this is a tale of suspense, character, and mood by an author critics and readers rate as one of the great masters of the mystery novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

When the parish church bells toll out the death of an unknown man, Lord Peter investigates the sinister affair.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,467,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible