The Nine Tailors: A Lord Peter Wimsey…

The Nine Tailors: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery (Lord Peter Wimsey… (edition 1959)

by Dorothy L Sayers

2,875772,010 (4.09)2 / 303
Title:The Nine Tailors: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
Authors:Dorothy L Sayers
Info:New English Library (1959), Edition: New Impression, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, mystery, read in 2012, given away on Bookmooch

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers (Author)

English (75)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (77)
If you are interested in a book that is the epitome of the traditional English mystery this is the book for you. We have the classic characters, amateur sleuth in Lord Peter Wimsey (and his faithful butler Banter); we also have the kindly rector, his practical wife, the prophetic old guy who says impenetrable things, the faintly embarrassed aristocrat filling his pew for the sake of duty, the devout peasant couple, and so on. On New Year’s Eve, Lord Peter Wimsey and his valet Bunter have a minor car accident, stranding them in the snow-bound flats of Norfolk. Finding their way to the nearest village, Wimsey helps out at a bell ringing to call in the New Year. Months later, the same village is brought to the Lord Peter’s attention when he learns of an unidentified person who died in an unknown manner and was buried in someone else’s grave. There is also a mystery of missing jewels that Wimsey must sort out. Despite all of this—this was not the book for me—I was surprised that I actually finished the book. I found the book incredibly dull, the amount of time spent on the ins and outs of bell ringer ridiculous and the number of name changes, red herrings absolutely frustrating. By the end I couldn’t care less about the “mystery.” 1 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Nov 9, 2015 |
In The Nine Tailors, Lord Peter and his man Bunter are stranded in a snow storm on New Year's Eve in a small village, Fenchurch St. Paul. The church in the village has the largest bells around, and the rector of the parish, Mr. Venables is quite proud of his bell ringers. Sayers uses the bell ringing as a means of moving the story forward, and of course Lord Peter is quite familiar with bell ringing. Peter hears the story of a 20 year old mystery related to a jewel theft, and its impact on the family involved. Several months later a body is found in the village, and the rector appeals to Lord Peter for his detective capabilities. There is no Harriet in this one, but there is plenty of witty dialog between Lord Peter, Bunter and the rector. ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
Peter and Bunter end up in Fenchurch St Paul after Peter drives his car into the ditch in a snow storm. Taken in by the Rector and his wife (the delightful Rev and Mrs Venables), Peter is persuaded to take the place of a sick bell-ringer in a planned nine hour marathon bell ringing session. (Is there nothing he cannot do?) Months later he is asked to help the police out with the case of the handless body found in some one else's grave. The whole case unfolds over months and months with a noticeable lack of urgency, although the story ends with a dramatic flooding disaster.

Sadly no Harriet, although Hilary seemed to be a teenage version of her. A bit more of Bunter and, indeed, my favourite moment was Bunter claiming Peter to be his flirtatious chauffeur. I made no attempt to understand the intricacies of bell-ringing and it made no difference. I likewise paid little attention to the pages about drainage on the fens, but maybe I ought to have done! This one was just OK for me - none of the characters really called to me and Peter was just a bit more superficial than in others in the series.

The story made clear the role played by a conscientious minister and his wife in their parish at the time of writing and I liked the touch about the Thodays feeling obliged to skip communion, but being able to face matins. ( )
1 vote pgchuis | Jul 20, 2015 |
A re-read again. It takes a while for the body to make an appearance, but the story in the interim all starts to make sense as the story progresses. The story has, as an integral part, the very English hobby of bellringing. As a ringer, I like the detail and the way the ringing is so important (although I can see the slight errors, for the weight of bells, that New year's peal would be a lot longer than 9 hours). I like the terminology of the chapter titles and how they are largely ringing terminology. The mystery itself is two that are embrangled. There's a missing emerald necklace that has caused a lot of trouble, then a body turns up, with it's face smashed in and hands missing - presumably to prevent identification and a significant portion of the second mystery revolves round trying to answer that question.
It's an inventive mystery, with a lovely interplay between Peter and the policeman, and the villagers are a lovely character study. There's a lot to like about this, and I do like it every time. ( )
1 vote Helenliz | May 12, 2015 |
There are no weak spots in this complex mystery. It is entertaining and stimulating as well as having an old world charm. Of all the Sayers' books I have read, this one is my favourite so far. The clever use of bells give it an unusual twist yet in a familiar church setting. The characters are delightful, especially Lord Peter Wimsey. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 5, 2015 |

Larsstuvold, RuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Næsted, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By the Course Ends 64352
8th the Observation
Call her in the middle with a double, before, wrong and home. Repeated once.
The coil of rope which is necessary to hold in the hand, before, and whilst raising a bell, always puzzles a learner; it gets into his face, and perhaps around his neck (in which case he may be hanged!). TROYTE 'On Change Ringing'

'That's torn it! said Lord Peter Wimsey.

When his sexton finds a corpse in the wrong grave, the rector of Fenchurch St Paul asks Lord Peter Wimsey to find out who the dead man was and how he cane to be there.
The lore of bell-ringing and a brilliantly-evoked village in the remote fens of East Anglia are the unforgettable background to a story of an old unsolved crime and its violent unravelling twenty years later.

The Nine Tailors is Dorothy L. Sayers's finest mystery, featuring Lord Peter Whimsey, and a classic of the genre.

The nine tellerstrokes from the belfry of an ancient country church toll out the death of an unknown man and call the famous Lord Peter Whimsey to investigate the good and evil that lurks in every person. Steeped in the atmosphere of a quiet parish in the strange, flat fen-country of East Anglia, this is a tale of suspense, character, and mood by an author critics and readers rate as one of the great masters of the mystery novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

When the parish church bells toll out the death of an unknown man, Lord Peter investigates the sinister affair.

51 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible