The World's Last Night: And Other Essays by…

The World's Last Night: And Other Essays

by C. S. Lewis

Perelandra by C. S. Lewis (jstamp26)
    jstamp26: Lewis's Space Trilogy is the fictional development of the essay presented here entitled "Religion and Rocketry."

Lewis takes a hard intellectual look at the topics of prayer, the Second Coming of Jesus, and other issues of faith in the collection of essays. His academic and philosophical perspective along with his renowned education give no way to arrogance. Instead, Lewis makes a set of logical yet humble arguments about his subjects to varying degrees. His haughtiest opponents could not, in good conscience, deny Lewis as the epitome of profound logic and beautifully executed argumentation. One of his most poignant sections goes as follows:

"But we think thus because we keep on assuming that we know the play. We do not know the play. We do not even know whether we are in Act I or Act V. We do not know who are the major and who the minor characters. The Author knows. The audience, if there is an audience (if angels and archangels and all the company of heaven fill the pit and the stalls) may have an inkling. But we, never seeing the play from the outside, never meeting any characters except the tiny minority who are ‘on’ in the same scenes as ourselves, wholly ignorant of the future and very imperfectly informed about the past, cannot tell at what moment the end ought to come. That is will come when it ought, we may be sure; but we waste our time in guessing when that will be. That is has a meaning we may be sure, but we cannot see it. When it is over, we may be told. We are led to expect that the Author will have something to say to each of us on the part that each of us has played. The playing it well is what matters infinitely." ( )
  thetrevr | May 1, 2016 |

Table of Contents:

The Efficacy of prayer --
On obstinacy in belief --
Lilies that fester --
Screwtape proposes a toast --
Good work and good works --
Religion and rocketry --
The World's last night.

“We are not the playwright, we are not the producer, we are not even the audience. We are on the stage. To play well the scenes in which we are "on" concerns us much more than to guess about the scenes that follow it.”

In these seven witty, lucid, and tough-minded essays, the famous, infamous Screwtape makes a special appearance, proposing a toast that brilliantly explores the many opportunities for exploiting evil in the world. Lewis also considers the evidence for whether and how prayer works, plays with the meaning of the words “I believe,” and asks what happens to our concept of God when we send rockets into outer space. And, in a moving final piece, he forces us to wonder how we should live if any day might bring the world’s last night. Anyone who ever appreciated his unique blend of humor, paradox, and searing insight will find these further thoughts from C.S. Lewis richly illuminating and remember that he is, as ever, one of the greatest writers and challengers of living faith.

"[Lewis] addresses himself to the task of disputing belief with energy, humor, and intense conviction." —Los Angeles Times

"Reveals the expected wit, the Chestertonian ability to make Christian orthodoxy exciting and fit for the brave rebel, and an abundance of offbeat insights into the human scene." —New York Times Book Review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

"We are not the playwright, we are not the producer, we are not even the audience. We are on the stage. To play well the scenes in which we are "on" concerns us much more than to guess about the scenes that follow it." In these seven witty, lucid, and tough-minded essays, the famous, infamous Screwtape makes a special appearance, proposing a toast that brilliantly explores the many opportunities for exploiting evil in the world. Lewis also considers the evidence for whether and how prayer works, plays with the meaning of the words "I believe," and asks what happens to our concept of God when we send rockets into outer space. And, in a moving final piece, he forces us to wonder how we should live if any day might bring the world's last night. Anyone who ever appreciated his unique blend of humor, paradox, and searing insight will find these further thoughts from C.S. Lewis richly illuminating and remember that he is, as ever, one of the greatest writers and challengers of living faith. "[Lewis] addresses himself to the task of disputing belief with energy, humor, and intense conviction." -- Los Angeles Times "Reveals the expected wit, the Chestertonian ability to make Christian orthodoxy exciting and fit for the brave rebel, and an abundance of offbeat insights into the human scene." -- New York Times Book Review C. S. (Clive Staples) Lewis (1898-1963), one of the great writers of the twentieth century, also continues to be one of our most influential Christian thinkers. He wrote more than thirty books, both popular and scholarly, including The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Screwtape Letters, The Four Loves, Mere Christianity, and Surprised by Joy.… (more)

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,530,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible