dismiss

At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie

At Bertram's Hotel (1965)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (10), Miss Marple: Chronological (21)

When Jane Marple comes up from the country for a holiday in London, she finds what she's looking for at Bertram's: a restored London hotel with traditional decor, impeccable service -- and an unmistakable atmosphere of danger behind the highly polished veneer. Yet not even Miss Marple can foresee the violent chain of events set in motion when an eccentric guest makes his way to the airport on the wrong day.… (more)

English (48)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (53)
‘’The children of Lucifer are often beautiful.’’

Hotels are fascinating places. Well, they can be quite a nightmare if you’re careless while booking or if the residents are a bunch of barbarians (which is often the case…) but under normal circumstances, hotels hide hundreds of secrets within their rooms. And the guests just have to mingle with each other. And who knows where all this mingling will lead? In the societies of the past, it would lead to certain, shall we say, questionable situations. And murder. This is the world of Bertram’s Hotel.

Our beloved Miss Marple returns to the hotel of her youth to find that very little has remained the same. The world is supposedly progressing but sometimes, this progress is quite dubious. Agatha Christie creates a tangled web of doppelgangers, brave women who love adventure, despairing heiresses, playboys, broken relationships and, obviously, deadly secrets in what I consider to be one of Queen Agatha’s finest moments.

The 2007 ITV adaptation, starring the inimitable Geraldine McEwan is exceptional. Quite different from the original material but beautiful nonetheless. Not to mention that Ed Stoppard plays Ladislaus Malinowski and call me shallow, but hey…

‘’I learned (what I suppose I really knew already) that one can never go back, that one should not ever try to go back - that the essence of life is going forward. Life is really a One Way Street, isn’t it?’’

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
  AmaliaGavea | May 28, 2020 |
"Well", said Miss Marple. "Are you going to let her get away with it?" There was a pause, then Father brought down his fist with a crash on the table. "No," he roared - "No, by God, I'm not!" Miss Marple nodded her head slowly and gravely. "May God have mercy on her soul," she said.
  taurus27 | May 7, 2020 |
A relaxing holiday at a nostalgic city haunt leads Miss Marple on the trail of deceit and murder.

With the extinction of some stinker short stories, and one or two gems of novels, most of the Miss Marple stories hover squarely around average. Years after reading this novel, I’m still not sure how I feel about it. "At Bertram’s Hotel" avoids many of the predictable aspects of Christie’s well-worn premises, and maintains an oddly sinister undertone throughout. Ultimately, though, I can find very little to recommend it. Miss Marple does nearly no actual investigating here, and there aren’t even really any clues. I find it hard to believe she solves this one, given that it’s all divination. (There is one marvelous piece of all-encompassing misdirection, which is cleverly disguised for the entire novel.)

Christie seems a little torn here over what genre she’s writing in and most notably – as in a few of Christie’s most flawed works – the few charismatic characters far outweigh the majority, leading to an uneven reading experience. There are two potential problems with books like this: a) the murderer(s) will turn out to be someone who never stood out against the livelier characters, or b) the murderer(s) won’t be as much of a shock, since they dominated the proceedings.

"At Bertram’s Hotel" isn’t execrable, but it’s for die-hards only. I wouldn’t recommend this to a Christie novice. (Having said that, the Joan Hickson adaptation is really quite fine.)

Marple ranking: 11th of 14 ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
Miss Marple is on vacation for two weeks in London and staying at the quietly posh Bertram's Hotel, which has the most impressive knack of conjuring up the bygone Edwardian era. But all at the hotel is not what it seems...

Not the strongest of the Miss Marple mysteries but the novel is still thoroughly enjoyable for how Christie describes her settings and characters. It's a lovely world to spend time in, regardless of the crime in which Miss Marple inevitably becomes involved. A perfectly satisfactory read for established fans of the series but not the best of entry points if you're just dabbling in Miss Marple's tales. ( )
1 vote MickyFine | Dec 6, 2019 |
One of Ms Christie’s better Marple books. While on a visit to London and a hotel she last stayed in decades before, things don’t seem quite right. Things happen that are just off enough to perhaps cause one to think suspiciously about what’s happened and then again maybe it’s just coincidental.
Even in the end when we have the final showdown, there are things that have been done, but who actually did the crime? A bit surprising in the end who does end up doing the dastardly deed. Well written and highly recommended. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |

At Bertram's Hotel [and] A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie

At Bertram's Hotel [and] Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 3) by Agatha Christie

The Case of the Queenly Contestant | At Bertram's Hotel by Detective Book Club

At Bertram's Hotel | A Business of Bodies | Conceal and Disguise by Detective Book Club

Has the adaptation

For Harry Smith
because I appreciate the scientific way
he reads my books
In the heart of the West End, there are many quiet pockets, unknown to almost all but taxi drivers who traverse them with expert knowledge, and arrive triumphantly thereby at Park Lane, Berkeley Square or South Audley Street.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,624,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible