At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, Book 10) by…

At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, Book 10) (original 1965; edition 1984)

by Agatha Christie

Member:libraryman_76021
Title:At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, Book 10)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Pocket (1984), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books
Rating:****1/2
Tags:england, jane marple, mystery fiction, paperback

At Bertram's Hotel by Agatha Christie (1965)

English (37)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (42)
I first read this one way back in junior high school (in the *cough* 1970s), and I remember being quite puzzled about several aspects of it. I didn't really understand how hotels worked, for one thing, or what it meant to seem Edwardian, or what trains carried that made them so tempting to robbers (the Irish Mail Express? Why would thieves want to steal other people's mail?). And I didn't really appreciate Miss Marple, at least not the way I do now as I near the end of my chronological reading of the series. I'll be sorry to see the old pussy go. I've enjoyed getting to know her again and better. I can't help wishing that Christie had written more Marples and fewer Poirots, but such is life. ( )
  rosalita | May 12, 2016 |
Bertram's Hotel, an old , well known hotel where people come from all over the world to relax and enjoy in traditional English ways. Miss Marple is also at Bertram's Hotel and feels that what seems to be seen is not exactly what it is. And the mystery grows as days go by. Miss Marple at last solves it :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Miss Marple visits Bertram's Hotel, a place she remembers from her youth. It is strangely unchanged - very Edwardian in character - and Miss Marple finds that odd. Who's behind this mysterious hotel? And why does it exist? Miss Marple and the police inspector known as Father search for answers. 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Bertram's Hotel is the paragon of good taste & times gone by. At Bertram's Hotel all is "perfect" and the clientele is of the most upper class. At Bertram's Hotel one can satisfy their memories and their need for nostalgia. At Bertram's Hotel many people are recognized as friends from days past, but may not actually be. At Bertram's Hotel all is not what it seems.........

Miss Marple is sent on a vacation by her niece.... a fortnight at Bertram's Hotel. Sitting with Lady Selina Hazey, a friend from days gone by, it is innocently pointed out to Miss Marple that many people whom appear to be acquaintances from days past are not whom they appear to be and marked as as aging mind.

Other guests of the hotel include: Beth Sedwick (a famous adventuress), Elvira Blake (Bess's daughter, whom Bess gave up 2 weeks after her birth), Colonel Luscombe (Elvira's legal guardian), and Canon Pennyfather (who suffers from frequent memory lapses). Then there are: Hotel Commissionaire Michael "Mickey" Gorman (Bess's first husband/Elvira's "unknown" father), Ladislaus Malinowski (a famous race car driver, Bess's former lover & Elvira's secret fiancee), Henree (the concierge who makes everyone's stay perfect to the last detail), and Chief Inspector "Father" Davy (who happens to believe everything is not quite as it seems at Bertram's Hotel).

Everything is going smoothly until the disappearance of Canon Pennyfather who never showed up to the conference in Lucerne that he was scheduled to attend and the murder of Mickey Gorman......

This was a very interesting plot and it was well written..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is about the 5th or 6th Agatha Christie book that I've read in a row. Whole I found the plot to this book captivating, I was frustrated that the ending answered as many questions as it opened up, thus was left feeling unsatisfied. I also find that reading AC books sometimes feels (to me) like I'm reading a play. The characters are 2-dimensional and I don't really connect. ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinchmann, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cole, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Himmelstoss, BeateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mäenpää, SimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harry Smith
because I appreciate the scientific way
he reads my books
In the heart of the West End, there are many quiet pockets, unknown to almost all but taxi drivers who traverse them with expert knowledge, and arrive triumphantly thereby at Park Lane, Berkeley Square or South Audley Street.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199936, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Jane Marple is enjoying her stay at London's elegant Bertram's Hotel. But its impeccable, old-world reputation is tarnished by new blood when someone disreputable checks in.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

When Miss Marple comes up from the country for a holiday in London, she finds what she's looking for at Bertram's Hotel: traditional decor, impeccable service and an unmistakable atmosphere of danger behind the highly polished veneer. Yet not even Miss Marple can foresee the violent chain of events set in motion when an eccentric guest makes his way to the airport on the wrong day.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,808,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible