Before the Frost by Henning Mankell

Before the Frost (2002)

by Henning Mankell

Series: Linda Wallander (1), Kurt Wallander (9)

Recently added byjolib, vickybagnall, private library, andreatogno, dimajazz, amyem58, RitaAW, vrullan, gcolvin
2006 (7) audiobook (8) crime (110) crime fiction (76) detective (36) ebook (7) fiction (124) Krim (15) Kriminalroman (7) Kurt Wallander (45) Linda Wallander (19) Mankell (7) murder (8) mystery (130) noir (13) novel (15) police (12) police procedural (18) policier (10) read (21) Scandinavia (15) Schweden (13) Sweden (113) swedish (36) Swedish literature (16) thriller (28) to-read (24) unread (11) Wallander (45) Ystad (12)

English (23)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (35)
The addition of Linda Wallander made a nice change of pace and I really liked that she was her own unique character, not just a female verision of Kurt. Hope to see more of her and her police career.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Our detective hero's daughter joins the police force. Fun watching the relationship develop and her role works well. The plot violates many rules: religious fanatics for one. ( )
  pnorman4345 | Mar 28, 2014 |
Other reviewers have covered many of my perceptions about this book. It is my least favourite of all his books and only finished it because I generally like Henning Mankell's work. The religous people gone mad has been over worked by too many authors. The character of Linda Wallender is a bit thin plus the idea that she would be stationed to work in the police station where her father works is highly unlikely. The next hurdle is that she becomes involved in an investigation before she officially starts work as a police officer is just too much to accept. ( )
  rsummer | Nov 10, 2013 |
I like Mankell, but this book seems to have fallen into the "Silence-of-the-Lambs-Syndrome" that seems to have become endemic. It's not enough to have someone get killed in the heat of passion or for greed. Now killers have to have killed hundreds, kill animals, butcher little children, bring about the end of the world, etc., etc. I hate to break it to these authors, but evil is much more prosaic and often very subtle. You don't have to create monsters to write intelligently. Adolf Eichmann was the guy next door who was just really good at paperwork. OK, enough ranting.

Just how much do we know about our close friends; even our family. That might be one theme of this Wallender novel.

Linda Wallender takes center stage. Two threads start the book: a man is setting swans alight and Anna, Linda’s friend has disappeared shortly after insisting she has just seen her father who hasn’t been heard from in 25 years. A third strand is added when a woman whose life's work has been to explore and catalog old pilgrim trails disappears, only to be found dismembered in a small cabin in the woods.

It's not too hard to predict that those threads will all wind together soon. Kurt and Linda are equally irascible but have worked out a precarious truce. Linda, recent graduate of the police academy, hasn't been yet assigned to begin work at a station so she spends her time trying to track down Anna. Wallender is a harsh father who has trouble relating to his daughter and she has little patience with her father although both try to find an accommodation as Linda, with the curiosity of a seasoned detective, inserts herself into her father's formal investigation, much to his dismay and irritation.

[SPOILER: well,hardly a spoiler since it's revealed way early, and if you read the book's description there are spoilers out the wazoo, but...] The best parts of the book are investigative; the worst the insertion of Jim Jones and his relationship to one of the characters. That was unnecessary and dumb. Not worthy of Mankell. It almost seemed as if Mankell had to say something about Jones and this was his vehicle. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
I had no idea what to expect of this book. The titel was a mystery to me. The one clue I had was that Kurt Wallanders daughter was a leading character in the novel.

It was a sinister book, but I liked it. Because I liked the way the author has described Kurt Wallander with all his faults, hopes, dreams and fears. Also because I admire the way Kurt (and now his daughter too) conduct their investigation. They are no-nonsense types, no more words or deeds than neccessary. I think, letting the fictive crime comitted out of it, that the way he and his daughter work, comes quite close to real life police work. Much hard work and thourough investigating and harldy any glamour. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
His thoughts were like a shower of red-hot glowing needles in his head, an almost unbearable pain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0099459043, Mass Market Paperback)

In woodland outside Ystad, the police make a horrific discovery: a severed head, and hands locked together in an attitude of prayer. A Bible lies at the victim's side, the pages marked with scribbled corrections. A string of macabre incidents, including attacks on domestic animals, have been taking place, and Inspector Wallander fears that these disturbances could be the prelude to attacks on humans on an even more alarming scale. Linda Wallander, in preparation to join the police force, arrives at Ystad. Exhibiting some of the hallmarks of her father - the maverick approach, the flaring temper - she becomes entangled in a case involving a group of religious extremists who are bent on punishing the world's sinners. Following on from the enormous success of the Kurt Wallander mysteries, Henning Mankell has begun an outstanding new chapter in crime writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:24 -0400)

Just graduated from the police academy, Linda Wallander returns to Sk?ane to join the police force, and she already shows all the hallmarks of her father--the maverick approach, the flaring temper. Before she even starts work she becomes embroiled in the case of her childhood friend, Anna, who has inexplicably disappeared. As the case that her father is working on dovetails with her own, something far more dangerous than either could have imagined begins to emerge. They soon find themselves forced to confront a group of extremists bent on punishing the world's sinners.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,527,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible