Atonement by Ian McEwan

Atonement (2001)

by Ian McEwan

20,82653970 (3.93)1 / 1068
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (rbtanger, browner56)
    rbtanger: I know that the Library Thing Recommendations aren't always completely spot-on, but I just want to say that if I were writing the recommend list, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood would be top of the list. These books have so many similarities that it's hard to count them all.… (more)
    browner56: Two superbly crafted explorations of the cathartic power that comes from the act of writing.
    Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (readerbabe1984)
    The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje (ecureuil, Johanna11)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (Queenofcups)
    Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley (burneyfan, Anonymous user)
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books begin with a young girl witnessing a crime of sorts that will powerfully affect her own life and the lives of her family members. Both books also are set in England during World War II.
    The Outcast by Sadie Jones (JeaniusOak, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven literary novels set in 20th-century England offer haunting, reflective narratives of secrets, shame and guilt. In each, children make decisions or perform actions that have unintended, tragic consequences and lasting repercussions.… (more)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (kiwiflowa, Othemts)
    Accusation by Catherine Bush (ShelfMonkey)
    The Wars by Timothy Findley (mountebank)
    Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Atonement, like Rules of Civility, paints a picture of events that instantly turn characters' worlds upside down. Also set in the 1930s, it highlights the lingering opulence of the age and how that can disappear amid tragedy.
    The Lake House by Kate Morton (kethorn23)
    Fifth Business by Robertson Davies (librorumamans)
    librorumamans: Also a look at the consequences of a childhood crime. For me, though, Fifth Business is better crafted and a more complex examination.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (rosylibrarian)
    The Sea by John Banville (sanddancer)
    Spies by Michael Frayn (hazzabamboo)
    A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton (ainsleytewce)
    The Landscape of Love by Sally Beauman (Pedrolina)
    The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (starfishian)

English (505)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (536)
McEwan hasn't failed me yet, and I was again impressed by his sly imagination, and as always the sinister portent that hangs over all. Many readers know the story and the film, but I will say that my least favorite part here was Part I, with its rash of misinterpretations and sensationalism. Very much Victorian which I've no doubt the author intended, but a bit much for me. Engaging nonetheless, and my, what a store of grievances were built in 24 hours! Though it's halfway through the novel, Part II (of III) is where the story hit its stride with me. Robbie's imperiled clamber to the west and Dunkirk (and his true love in England), was moving and so well imagined. And, of course, imagination becomes a key element of all that is to follow. A skilled surprise ending, sad and yet exquisitely right on. ( )
  JamesMScott | Mar 18, 2017 |
What a great author. Great writing. This is a story that will hold your interest and engage all your senses at various times, and will elicit many emotions. In 1935 in England, a family is revealed to the reader with all the intricacies of families anywhere. A young girl makes a false accusation that changes lives forever. Her age and non-understanding of adult issues is part of the problem. The characters seem so real we can touch them, talk to them. Some of the scenes are unforgettable. The story will have the reader's imagination working overtime. The end is eloquent and poignant.

If you want to read spoilers, you can do that elsewhere. I'd guess that more sophisticated readers may enjoy the book more with its many nuances and layers and stages of life. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Fuck this. Sad as the movie and Briony is still a bitch. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book. You'll notice I said book, not story. The story wasn't the problem, per say, although the very end left me completely unsatisfied and with an immense book hangover that had people at the airport asking if I was ok.

I loved the story; I really did. Robbie was everything I wanted him to be and more. Cecilia could have probably used a little more depth, but it was relatively tolerable since she didn't factor into the story as much as I'd anticipated she would. I think I still would have liked more background on her though. No. Maybe not more background. Perhaps "dimension" would be a better word. She felt very... flat as a character.

Briony, however, was the most insufferable little snot of a character I've ever had the displeasure to come to know in my literary adventures. I almost couldn't finish the book because of how much I hated her. She reminded me of every unflattering stereotype of the youngest child and an only child combined into one character. I couldn't have been happier when the first section of the book ended and I didn't have to deal with her 13 year old self for a few pages while we explored Robby's brushes with death in WWII France.

I wish I could give this book separate ratings, one for the story itself and one for the overall book. Despite the 3 stars, I give the book only 2. The story however is at 4.5 stars for me. ( )
  cebellol | Jan 10, 2017 |
The book was so beautifully written, especially at the beginning, that I had high hopes and even mentally compared it to the works of E.M. Forster. However, something went wrong along the way...it is hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it was. While continuing to be compelling, the book somehow shook off the magic spell it had been weaving around me. The jarring ending saved it somewhat, but still left me feeling as though something important had been left out, a problem I find with too many modern books that are declared instant classics. I might read it again someday and do not plan to get rid of my copy, but I am in no hurry to see the movie version or to read the book again--or for that matter, try any of McEwan's other works. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
McEwan is technically at the height of his powers, and can do more or less anything he likes with the novel form. He shows this fact off in the first section of Atonement, in which he does one of the hardest things a good writer can do: engrossingly, sustainedly, and convincingly impersonate a bad one.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, John Lanchester (pay site) (Apr 11, 2002)

McEwan is crafty. Even as he shows us the damages of story-telling, he demonstrates its beguilements on every page. Atonement is full of timeworn literary contrivances--an English country house, lovers from different classes, an intercepted letter--rendered with the delicately crafted understanding of E.M. Forster.
added by Shortride | editTime, Richard Lacayo (Mar 25, 2002)

If it's plot, suspense and a Bergsonian sensitivity to the intricacies of individual consciousnesses you want, then McEwan is your man and ''Atonement'' your novel. It is his most complete and compassionate work to date.

Ian McEwan's remarkable new novel ''Atonement'' is a love story, a war story and a story about the destructive powers of the imagination. It is also a novel that takes all of the author's perennial themes -- dealing with the hazards of innocence, the hold of time past over time present and the intrusion of evil into ordinary lives -- and orchestrates them into a symphonic work that is every bit as affecting as it is gripping. It is, in short, a tour de force.

Ian McEwan’s new novel, which strikes me as easily his finest, has a frame that is properly hinged and jointed and apt for the conduct of the ‘march of action’, which James described as ‘the only thing that really, for me at least, will produire L’OEUVRE’.

Ian McEwanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Basso, SusannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boyd, CaroleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boyd, CaroleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhoef, RienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

"Dear Miss Morland, consider the dreadful nature of the suspicions you have entertained. What have you been judging from? Remember the country and the age in which we live. Remember that we are English: that we are Christians. Consult your own understanding, your own sense of the probable, your own observation of what is passing around you. Does our education prepare us for such atrocities? Do our laws connive at them? Could they be perpetrated without being known in a country like this, where social and literary intercourse is on such a footing, where every man is surrounded by a neighbourhood of voluntary spies, and where roads and newspapers lay everything open? Dearest Miss Morland, what ideas have you been admitting?"
    They had reached the end of the gallery; and with tears of shame she ran off to her own room.
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
To Annalena
The play – for which Briony had designed posters, programs and tickets, constructed the sales booth out of a folding screen tipped on its side, and lined the collection box in red crepe paper – was written by her in a two-day tempest of composition, causing her to miss a breakfast and a lunch.
Novels and movies, being relentlessly modern, propel you forwards or backwards through time, through days, years or even generations. But to do its noticing and judging, poetry balances itself on the pinprick of the moment. Slowing down, stopping yourself completely, to read and understand a poem is like trying to acquire an old-fashioned skill like drystone walling or trout tickling.
How much growing up do you need to do?
It wasn’t only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you.

Briony’s tale begins with her restless and excited preparations for a play she had proudly written for her visiting older brother. The young girl's childish anxieties induce a light and amusing atmosphere for the story’s first few scenes. But soon enough, a series of baffling events takes place before Briony’s eyes and sets of her wildly-imaginative mind to believe a new story of her own creation. Coerced by her own impetuous sense of duty, she soon commits a “crime” that forever changes the lives of people around her, as well as her own. This highly-praised novel from Ian McEwan is no more of a love story than it is a contemplative essay on the rapturous highs and atrocious lows of our frail human existence.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038572179X, Paperback)

Ian McEwan's Booker Prize-nominated Atonement is his first novel since Amsterdam took home the prize in 1998. But while Amsterdam was a slim, sleek piece, Atonement is a more sturdy, more ambitious work, allowing McEwan more room to play, think, and experiment.

We meet 13-year-old Briony Tallis in the summer of 1935, as she attempts to stage a production of her new drama "The Trials of Arabella" to welcome home her older, idolized brother Leon. But she soon discovers that her cousins, the glamorous Lola and the twin boys Jackson and Pierrot, aren't up to the task, and directorial ambitions are abandoned as more interesting prospects of preoccupation come onto the scene. The charlady's son, Robbie Turner, appears to be forcing Briony's sister Cecilia to strip in the fountain and sends her obscene letters; Leon has brought home a dim chocolate magnate keen for a war to promote his new "Army Ammo" chocolate bar; and upstairs, Briony's migraine-stricken mother Emily keeps tabs on the house from her bed. Soon, secrets emerge that change the lives of everyone present....

The interwar, upper-middle-class setting of the book's long, masterfully sustained opening section might recall Virginia Woolf or Henry Green, but as we move forward--eventually to the turn of the 21st century--the novel's central concerns emerge, and McEwan's voice becomes clear, even personal. For at heart, Atonement is about the pleasures, pains, and dangers of writing, and perhaps even more, about the challenge of controlling what readers make of your writing. McEwan shouldn't have any doubts about readers of Atonement: this is a thoughtful, provocative, and at times moving book that will have readers applauding. --Alan Stewart, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:21 -0400)

Imaginative thirteen-year-old Briony Tallis, misinterpreting a scene between her older sister Cecilia and Robbie Turner, the housekeeper's son, later accuses Robbie of a crime she has no proof he committed and spends years trying to atone for her actions.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible