Woman with Birthmark by Håkan Nesser

Woman with Birthmark (1996)

by Håkan Nesser

Series: Inspector Van Veeteren (4)

English (14)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
This is the third book by Nesser that I've read and rather different from the rest. Most Nesser mysteries are classic page-turning whodunnits. In Woman with Birthmark, the identity of the perpetrator is known from the outset. The motive is made clear about halfway through the book, and isn't especially difficult to guess before then. The overall feel of it is like a Greek tragedy: a series of events leading to a knot of a situation that is basically not salvageable. Grim, sad, and my favourite of the Nesser mysteries that I've read. ( )
  Erratic_Charmer | Mar 11, 2014 |
Wonderful police procedural. I wouldn't say a mystery as the crimes and their motivation is in full view of the reader basically from the beginning. It is a mystery to the police which they slowly triangulate on as one dead body after another shows up. A crime of 30 years ago must be revenged and the question is whether the police will find the killer before the last person is killed. I enjoyed it as I really enjoy the characters and their deadpan sensibilities. They seem very normal or likely to me in their quirkiness. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
I loved this book! The author is not as descriptive as Larsson or Nesbo, and therefore the book is not as long; but he keeps the story moving at a fast clip, and the characters are highly entertaining. This is a very unusual plot that I won't spoil, but it's definitely an unexpected ending. Now I want to read his other books! ( )
  MsGumby | Apr 27, 2013 |
A woman,upon the death of her mother, makes a decision that it's time for some people to pay. What wrong was done to her and her mother is not made known at the beginning, but as the killings start to take place, the motive begins to emerge.

Inspector Van Veeteren, battling a cold, and a team flummoxed by an almost total absence of clues as to the identity of the killer and the motive for the killings, helplessly stand by the sidelines, hoping this is not the work of a serial killer. Gradually though, connections between the victims start to emerge and as the race to find the killer heats up, will Veeteren's team find the killer in time before she kills again, or will they be too late?

Blackmail, murder and a clever killer make for great ingredients in this police procedural. I thought it read a little slow at times, but there's no denying the building tension in the book. ( )
  cameling | Oct 30, 2012 |
Another fine Scandinavian police procedural (no children were harmed in the course of this plot). Some mysteries start with nothing but the discovery of the crime, and dare the reader to solve the puzzle before the detectives; others let the reader ahead of the police, and the charm is seeing how the police work the puzzle out. This is one of the latter. The criminal is known immediately to the reader, even before the crime. The root cause is fairly easy to guess. But the police must start from the beginning, and watching them work it out is like cheering for the home team.

Inspector Van Veeteren is a classic: disillusioned, depressed in the long dark winters, alone yet surrounded by interesting and sometimes funny police characters, each with their special talents/drawbacks.

This is not the first in the series, although the first I've come across. I'll be looking for the first, and more if there are any. Quite enjoyable. ( )
  ffortsa | Aug 25, 2012 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedan finns det förstås en viss sorts handlingar, som vi aldrig kan lämna bakom oss, eller köpa oss fria ifrån. Kanske inte ens be om förlåtelse för. W. Klimke, terapeut
Till Sanna och Johannes
Hon frös.

Detective Van Veeteren and his associates are left bewildered by the curious murder of a man shot twice in the heart and twice below the belt. Revenge seems to be the motive, in this chilling novel filled with deception, blackmail, and murder.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible