The Return by Håkan Nesser

The Return (1995)

by Håkan Nesser

Series: Inspector Van Veeteren (3)

5682017,512 (3.47)13

English (18)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (20)
Swedish noir mystery, part of the Inspector Van Veeteren series: a mutilated body is found in the woods after several months. The inspector and his fellow police officers must discover the identity of the corpse before they can begin to put together a motive and find the murderer, but as they slowly uncover the facts questions are raised about murders that were declared 'solved' decades before. ( )
  Erratic_Charmer | Mar 11, 2014 |
I really enjoy Hakan Nesser's books, but this wasn't my favorite. It just felt a bit disjointed. Maybe it was all the shifts in time. Anyway, this book won't stop me from reading more from this author.
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
A good read, but no more than that. One wonders about the gap between the original and the translation. ( )
  NaggedMan | Dec 1, 2013 |

Liked it a lot. I still think my favorite bit I that it isn't really set anywhere; just vaguely Northern Europe. I thought I knew whodunit midway thru but I guessed close but wrong. But the value is the characters and setting more than the mystery. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
From the back side of the cover I learnt, that the book was about solving the murder of a man, who himself had been convicted twice for murder.
Critics were very positive, so I started reading with rather high expectations.
Much to my regret the book did not meet the expectations I had. I found it very constructed, very hard to read, like the writer was sometimes lost himself in the plot with many storylines and histories that were the basis for them.
The end came as a surprize to me. Maybe that was because I had not payed attention, because I had given up on following all leads, but no matter what the reason, it felt like an end that was thought up, to end a book that the writer didn't know how to go on with.
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ni frågar mig hur långt livet är, och jag ska svara Er som det är. Just jämnt så långt som avståndet mellan två årtal på en gravsten. W.F. Mahler, poet
It was the first and the last day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375421971, Hardcover)

While on a field trip through the woods on the outskirts of Behren, a young girl stumbles upon a decomposing body wrapped in a carpet and lying in a ditch. The body has no hands, feet, or head, but this was not the work of wild animals. A brutal killer is on the loose--but who is the victim?

From the hospital bed where he is recovering from surgery, Chief Inspector Van Veeteren begins to piece together the fragmentary clues that involve a nun who hides a secret, a crippled woman, the murders of two other women, and a former track star who served two sentences for murder and has been missing since the date of his return to society.

No one is who they appear to be, and a sleepy village finds itself reopening cases long considered closed. With the assistance of his colleagues, Van Veeteren faces the prospect of taking the law into his own hands in the face of a flawed system of justice. This taut psychological thriller affirms Håkan Nesser's place in the landscape of international crime fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:41 -0400)

A track star who was convicted for killing two of his ex-lovers and consistently proclaimed his innocence is killed on the day of his return to society. This latest murder is more than a little perplexing and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is determined to discover the truth, even if it means taking the law into his own hands.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible