The Return: An Inspector Van Veeteren…

The Return: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery (original 1995; edition 2007)

by Hakan Nesser (Author)

7381919,857 (3.51)28
When a young girl on a woodland hike stumbles upon a corpse with no hands, feet, or head, Chief Inspector Van Veeteren, recovering from surgery in a nearby hospital, begins to piece together the clues in the case.
Member:PhonyGal
Title:The Return: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery
Authors:Hakan Nesser (Author)
Info:Pantheon (2007), Edition: Translation, 336 pages
Tags:Read in 2018

The Return by Håkan Nesser (1995)

Recently added byprivate library, Ajayg52, Rjhmzn, erikdavidkov, Stevegee26, ShelbyF, geirsenum, sthitha_pragjna, gnapp

English (17)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (19)
For some bizarre reason I started listening to this book while mowing a couple of summers ago and then dropped it and only recently came back to it. Bizarre because it’s it’s a good mystery with some bizarre events glued together by Chief Inspector Van Veetteren, known to his colleagues as “VV.” (When someone calls and asks to speak with a particular inspector on the case but can’t remember the name, he says, “you know, the unpleasant one, the really, really unpleasant one". He is immediately put through to Van Veeteren.”

A man is found dead and the only apparent identifying trait (the head, hands and feet had been removed) is that he had but one testicle. It turns out that a man convicted of murdering two wives, Verhaven, years before, had just been released from prison after serving a twenty-four year sentence and fit that description. Whether the man was actually guilty of the murders remains a mystery even though the presiding judge at his trial was absolutely sure he did it. But the man didn’t care whether he was incarcerated or not. And who would want him dead? Or did he know who the real killer might be? And what is the role of the close-knit small community.

The story jumps around in time, which perhaps was a bit distracting in an audiobook, but it was enjoyable, nevertheless, but somehow also dissatisfying. VanVeeteren is an interesting character with untapped promise for a series, yet some of the events and conclusions seem improbable at best. ( )
  ecw0647 | Jan 1, 2015 |
Swedish noir mystery, part of the Inspector Van Veeteren series: a mutilated body is found in the woods after several months. The inspector and his fellow police officers must discover the identity of the corpse before they can begin to put together a motive and find the murderer, but as they slowly uncover the facts questions are raised about murders that were declared 'solved' decades before. ( )
  Erratic_Charmer | Mar 11, 2014 |
I really enjoy Hakan Nesser's books, but this wasn't my favorite. It just felt a bit disjointed. Maybe it was all the shifts in time. Anyway, this book won't stop me from reading more from this author.
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
A good read, but no more than that. One wonders about the gap between the original and the translation. ( )
  NaggedMan | Dec 1, 2013 |

Liked it a lot. I still think my favorite bit I that it isn't really set anywhere; just vaguely Northern Europe. I thought I knew whodunit midway thru but I guessed close but wrong. But the value is the characters and setting more than the mystery. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ni frågar mig hur långt livet är, och jag ska svara Er som det är. Just jämnt så långt som avståndet mellan två årtal på en gravsten. W.F. Mahler, poet
It was the first and the last day.
… una delle frasi celebri di Van Veeteren: Se l'assassino è nascosto a Timbuctu, non c'è altro da fare che salire sul primo taxi e andarci. Non siamo mica un'azienda che ceca il profitto, noi! «Ma dov'è Timbuctu, esattamente?» aveva chiesto qualcuno. «Questo lo sa il tassista» aveva risposto Van Veeteren.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,258,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible