My Horizontal Life: A Collection of…

My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Chelsea Handler

1,787None3,912 (3.5)37
Member:tamarajp
Title:My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands
Authors:Chelsea Handler
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2005), Paperback, 213 pages
Rating:***
Tags:borrowed

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler (2005)

2009 (7) 2010 (9) 2011 (11) audio (6) audiobook (7) autobiography (41) biography (32) Chelsea Handler (10) chick lit (16) comedian (7) comedy (26) dating (10) ebook (27) essays (22) fiction (10) humor (146) Kindle (19) memoir (120) non-fiction (102) nook (7) own (8) read (21) read in 2008 (8) read in 2010 (8) relationships (18) sex (69) sexuality (12) short stories (9) to-read (23) women (6)

English (86)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
Nothing special. Not particularly funny or witty. The only part that was really enjoyable was the part with the M&M costume. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
This is a vacation read -- something I wouldn't normally pick up, but it was sitting there, and I was headed out to the beach to suck down some tropical concoction in the sun. So, why not?
My Horizontal Life was definitely not my kind of book, but I enjoyed it sporadically, as much as I simultaneously found it offensive.
Chelsea Handler has written an account of one-night stands that she has experienced. The cast of characters is interesting, and sometimes bizarre, and the situations range from laugh-out-loud funny to irritatingly off-putting.
I don't know how much the author has embellished, and how well she's hidden the identity of some of her subjects, but I'd sure be sorry if I showed up in her book! She's rather merciless and shallow, a hedonist who wants to have a good time and doesn't even try to spare the feelings of men who, er, aren't up to the task. I'm trying to imagine a book written with genders reversed, where a man takes a woman home from a bar, only to reject her in the bedroom because of, say, her breast size. Eeyuck.
It's also a shame that Handler thinks that hedonism is cool when it extends to being an alcoholic. Again, maybe she's exaggerating things for comedic effect, but if that's the case, the unintended consequence was to make herself out to be a happy drunk.
That said, if you can accept the author's total pursuit of her own pleasure (her feeble attempt at the end to portray this as a phase coming to an end doesn't really ring sincere), the book does have some pleasure to offer the reader as well, with a couple of very funny predicaments and sexual disasters.
If you want a few sexually-charged laughs, you could sure do worse than this book. And it was okay as a vacation read. That's as far as I can go in recommending My Horizontal Life.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
Given to me by a close friend (though I'm not sure why?) this book covers the various odd relationships of the writer over her lifetime. Filled with all sorts of odd stories of dating, it's sure to bring, at the very least, a smile to your face. Have you ever hooked up with a dwarf or had to crawl through your kitchen window in the middle of February in an M&M costume? Read it, it's well worth the short amount of time required to get through it. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
Fun comedy read. Chelsea, the comedian author, wrote several vignettes about her sex life and it was truly funny. However, if any of it actually happened, I'd be really surprised. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 5, 2013 |
  buffalogr | Oct 24, 2013 |

Chelsea Handlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blong, JenniPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Itallie, ElizabethCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents-
Thank you for having me. Now look what I've done.

I was seven years old when my sister told me she'd give me five dollars to run upstairs into my parents' room while they were having sex and take a picture.

Handler chronicles what can happen to one very intoxicated, outgoing woman during one night of passion-- repeated over and over with lots and lots of men.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible