Dreams of a Final Theory by Steven Weinberg

Dreams of a Final Theory (1992)

by Steven Weinberg

This is the story of a grand scientific quest: the quest for a unifying theory of nature. Writing with dazzling elegance and clarity, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Steven Weinberg retraces the steps that have led modern scientists from relativity theory and quantum mechanics to the notion of superstrings and the idea that our universe may coexist with others. Along the way, he voices the questions that are always present: Why does each explanation of the way nature works point to other, deeper explanations? Why are the best theories not only logical but beautiful? And what implications will a final theory have for our philosophy and religious faith? Intellectually daring, rich in anecdote and aphorism, Dreams of a Final Theory launches us into a new cosmos and helps us make sense of what we find there.… (more)
Recently added byOrporick2, geoffmangum, euphorb, lwbrown, Roeghmann, private library, marshalliv, sestov, Jimbeat

Catalan (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
(Original Review, 1992)

I wear a giant panda suit outside a Panda Burger giving out promotional leaflets. As this job is a bit easy and I can do it without too much conscious effort .....the only thing I have to watch out for is farting as it is unpleasant trapped in that panda suit .....anyhow I digress ........this gives me a LOT of time to think about serious issues such as time and the merits of having a TOE. As infinity is -1/12 it is a rather odd notion; I have come to the conclusion that it is not space and time that is curved but numbers and mathematics. Space and time is actually straight when you take this into account (as my wife would say: "I'd say that's a pretty major step up from what you're intellectually qualified for. Well done. There is an opening going for a flipper inside the joint if you are interested.")

Quantum mechanics is a scientific theory which can and has been used successfully to explain and predict many phenomena. That doesn't mean 'Quantum Physics' exists in any objective sense, merely that, to the best of our knowledge, the theory accurately explains the behaviour of sub-atomic particles. The theory itself is a human construction, so when people say 'it doesn't matter if you believe in it' that is simply rot. Matter, and the way in which in interacts in space-time, are objective facts. Theories, such as quantum mechanics, the theory of gravity, or the special and general theories of relativity, are all human constructions meant to describe these facts. Another theory is that the world was made in 7 days, and that God has created all evidence against this merely to tempt us into sin. That is also a perfectly coherent theory (although unfalsifiable), but it doesn't really help us to explain or predict anything useful about the phenomena we encounter on a day to day basis, whilst scientific canon does. Quantum physics along with Relativity has as a central tenet that anything we can see must exist. So far so good. But it also means the corollary, anything we can't see doesn't exist. Which strikes me as a bit like a child playing peek-a-boo. "I can't see you, so you can't see me." That is a rather striking finding in a very small child's psychology by the way. But quantum physics does precisely that! Entangled particles do not collapse into one state or the other until we can see them, they say. Proved, incidentally, by a recent experiment whereby the collapse can be delayed by minutes or even hours by simply recording the event and then not watching the movie.

Finally, there is clearly something either wrong or incomplete about the theories of Quantum Mechanics and Special/General relativity, because they cannot yet be combined into a coherent theory that both describes the behaviour of matter on a sub-atomic and macro level. We're a long way from a TOE. The Emperor is still naked, even though I can't see him.

Bottom-line: What we know could just be the scrag ends thrown out from the begging. To know more you might have to travel billions of miles or hope that some new particles or masses catch up with us. If only we could map around the edges of it all. Millions of light years of planets seem to just keep coming and coming. ( )
  antao | Oct 25, 2018 |
To Louise and Elizabeth
The century now coming to a close has seen in physics a dazzling expansion of the frontiers of scientific knowledge.

I successi conseguiti in questo secolo dalla fisica sono stupefacenti e hanno contribuito a sconvolgere le nostre concezioni dello spazio, del tempo, della realtà. Lo stesso linguaggio con cui cerchiamo di descrivere la natura ne è uscito trasformato radicalmente, per cui oggi al centro della visione dell'universo elaborata dagli scienziati c'è l'idea di "simmetria naturale", che ha preso il posto occupato dalla "materia". Questa rivoluzione del pensiero è stata determinata dalla speranza di individuare le leggi ultime, quelle in grado di rispondere in modo definitivo alle domande che ci poniamo rispetto alla natura.
E' possibile racchiudere l'immensa varietà di suoni, colori e cambiamenti del nostro mondo entro una formula semplice e definitiva? E' possibile far risalire l'infinita moltitudine dei fenomeni a un insieme delimitato di leggi? E' possibile compendiare l'inesauribile ricchezza del libro della natura in una teoria? Chi cerca di delineare delle risposte a queste domande non è un teologo o un filosofo alla ricerca di un'astratta causa ultima. Il premio Nobel Steven Weinberg, uno dei massimi protagonisti di questa caccia al Santo Graal della fisica, indica molto concretamente il centro verso cui puntano da più parti i settori d'avanguardia della ricerca. In queste pagine affascinanti le più recenti acquisizioni del sapere servono da spunto per riflessioni sul concetto di bellezza, sui rapporti tra scienza, filosofia e religione. La ricerca di una teoria in grado di unificare l'infinita varietà dei fenomeni naturali è lo spunto ideale per fare il punto sullo stato dell'arte, per mettere in luce le geniali intuizioni di fisici come Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Feynman, per cercare di spingere lo sguardo più avanti, per cominciare a delineare in tutta la sua evanescente enigmaticità il profilo di una "verità più profonda, presagio di una teoria finale"
(piopas)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,376,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible