The King's General by Daphne du Maurier

The King's General (1946)

by Daphne du Maurier

8091911,269 (3.93)65

English (18)  French (1)  All (19)
Very good historical fiction with lots of drama and gothic elements. Why don't we read du Maurier any more? ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
A rollicking yarn based on real characters of English Civil War, with some running mysteries that keep one intrigued. Grenville comes across as a cold calculating bastard who insults everybody from top to bottom but has a soft streak for the narrator/heroine. The relationship strains belief somewhat ( unless you believe that woman really prefer awful men); she knows how bad he is and occasionally tries to restrain him. She's a helpless cripple after a youthful riding accident (with him) and i keep wondering what happened in their intimate moments. Early in the book it seems she's incapable of sex, but later on she describes herself as his lover and does go to bed with him (in the literal sense), and after all there are ways to have sex without the use of one's legs.The mechanics of the final closing of the hiding-place are also a bit hard to grasp.Characters, feelings, nature and military detail are admirably done. Exquisitely read by Juliet Stevenson ( not the edition listed by Lib Thing). ( )
  vguy | Feb 21, 2016 |
I read this too long ago to give it a real review but I remember loving it. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Not my favorite DDM, but still a good read. The love story was tantalizing and well-written, but was lost in the never-ending tactical descriptions of warfare, and lacked the suspense that make so many other of her books so easy to tear through. The particular edition I read (Sourcebooks 2009) was so riddled with typos, errors, and misspellings that it made it extra difficult to enjoy. ( )
  Tess_Elizabeth | Feb 14, 2016 |
I love du Maurier’s writing let me start with that, she is one of my favorite authors however this book fell a little flat for me, it didn’t have the suspense that Rebecca or Jamaica Inn had. As always she captures a time and a place so expertly and the writing is beautiful but for me this just didn’t have the gothic feel and suspense I look for in a du Maurier book.
You can also never go wrong when Juliet Stevenson is narrating and the combination of these two is perfection but even Juliet couldn’t keep the book from becoming a little boring in the middle and it never quite recovered.

If you are going through a full read through of du Maurier’s books of course don’t skip this one but it’s definitely not in my top 5 du Maurier books. If you like a little more romance than I do maybe you will enjoy this book more than I did so don’t let me scare you off. This wasn’t a bad book it was just not as suspenseful as I had wanted it to be.

3 stars ( )
  susiesharp | Oct 7, 2015 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Husband, also a general, but, I trust, a more discreet one
September, 1653. The last of summer. The first chill winds of autumn. The sun no longer strikes my eastern window as I wake, but, turning laggard, does not top the hill before eight o'clock.
'I hated you first. I like you better now,' I told him. 'It's hard that I had to make you vomit before I won your approval,' he answered. I laughed, and then fell to groaning again, for the swan was not entirely dissipated. 'Lean against my shoulder, so,' he said to me. 'Poor little one, what an ending to an eighteenth birthday.' I could feel him shake with silent laughter, and yet his voice and hands were strangely tender, and I was happy with him. (London/Paris: The Albatross 1949, p. 30)

VIRAGO EDITION:
Inspired by a grisly discovery in the nineteenth century, The King's General was the first of du Maurier's novels to be written at Menabilly, the model for Manderley in Rebecca. Set in the seventeenth century, it tells the story of a country and a family riven by war, and features one of the fictions's most original heroines.

Honor Harris is only eighteen when she first meets Richard Grenville, proud, reckless - and utterly captivating. But following a riding accident, Honor must reconcile herself to life alone. As Richard rises through the ranks of the army, marries and makes enemies, Honor remains true to him, and finally discovers the secret of Menabilly.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,526,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible