Medea und ihre Kinder. by Ljudmila Ulitzkaja

Medea und ihre Kinder. (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Ljudmila Ulitzkaja

Medea Georgievna Sinoply Mendez is the last Greek in a family that has lived on the Crimean coast for centuries. As the novel opens affairs begin and end, hearts are broken, and old memories rise to the surface.The shifting currents of erotic attraction and competition intertwine with the dramatic saga of a family surviving the upheavals that characterized Soviet life in the 20th century.… (more)
Member:gliese
Title:Medea und ihre Kinder.
Authors:Ljudmila Ulitzkaja
Info:Lübbe (1998), Broschiert, 344 pages

Medea and Her Children by Ludmila Ulitskaya (1998)

English (4)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (7)
Most of the way through this book I mildly enjoyed it, although I was not strongly drawn in. The stories of various family members of the sprawling Sinolpy family are told in separate chapters, almost like separate vignettes or short stories. There is good detail and I felt that I could picture the lives of these people in Russia, so different from my own. However, I really did not like the ending of the book. As the book progressed, it became more and more focused on one character and her involvement in a love triangle. The book seemed to switch from a general depiction of these people's lives to an exclusive focus on one woman's love madness. I did not like the way the characters in the love triangle behaved, as it seemed quite thoughtless and even irrational. Perhaps this was the intent of the author - to convey the sense of these people completely swept up in their passions and emotions, but to me it felt overdone and so completely different from my own experience of life that I could not relate to it at all. It was not the direction I expected the book to go and overall I can't say that I really liked the book. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
As I had heard so many praises concerning this novel, I was a bit disappointed. I was waiting for more Russian history, but got something resembling a (tragic) love story. (Tragic in parenthesis as I could not truly identify or sympathize with the characters.)

Most of all I was irritated about the style.

1) The use of three dots in the end of paragraphs (sometimes several times in consecutive paragraphs) made me want to scream: just say it, please, do not just indicate! Most of all this stylish technique influenced the description of characters, leaving them vague and superficial.

2) Some expressions were just too strange. This may also be a fault of the Finnish translation, but the language just didn't flow. Instead, it interrupted the story several times - and not in a positive sense. ( )
2 vote Lady_Lazarus | Oct 31, 2012 |
Orosz saga. Kiváló. ( )
  Amadea | Jul 10, 2008 |
Медея Мендес, урожденная Синопли, если не считать ее младшей сестры Александры, перебравшейся в Москву в конце двадцатых годов, осталась последней чистопородной гречанкой в семье, поселившейся в незапамятные времена на родственых Элладе таврических берегах.
Medea Mendes, geboren Sinopli, was - haar jongere zus Aleksandra, die eind jaren twintig naar Moskou was verhuisd, buiten beschouwing gelaten - de laatste rasechte Griekse van een familie die sinds onheuglijke tijden de met Hellas verbonden Taurische kusten had bewoond. Ze was tevens de laatste van haar familie die nog een soort Grieks sprak, een taal die dezelfde duizendjarige afstand tot het Nieuwgrieks had als het Oudgrieks tot het middeleeuwse Pontische, alleen in de Taurische kolonies bewaard gebleven dialekt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,382,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible