Winner take nothing. by Ernest Hemingway

Winner take nothing. (original 1933; edition 1933)

by Ernest Hemingway

Member:Mike_Herrick
Title:Winner take nothing.
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Scribner (1933), Edition: Reprint., Hardcover
Rating:*****
Tags:Short stories, literature, fiction

Winner Take Nothing by Ernest Hemingway (1933)

ex-Library
  biblio99 | Jun 1, 2011 |
A veried collection of Hemingway stories, it is a strong group punctuated by the absolutely brilliant 'A Clean Well-Lighted Place' which is arguably his best story ever. ( )
  stpnwlf | Jul 16, 2007 |
"The reporting in almost all these stories is superlative; the dialogue is admirable, the rapidly sketched-in picture is vivid, whole; the way of life is caught and conveyed without a hitch. . . But Hemingway has explored it beyond its worth."

"[The stories] ring hollow. But this need not necessarily be urged against Hemingway, for he believes . . . that we are the hollow men . . . The effect he aims at is emptiness, and to say he achieves emptiness is to praise his artistry."

"Unlike all other forms of lutte or combat the conditions are that the winner shall take nothing; neither his ease, nor his pleasure, nor any notions of glory; nor, if he win far enough, shall there be any reward within himself."
To A. MacLeish
It wasn't about anything, something about making punch, and then we started fighting and I slipped and he had me down kneeling on my chest and choking me with both hands like he was trying to kill me and all the time I was trying to get the knife out of my pocket to cut him loose.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 002051820X, Board book)

Written when Hemingway was at the height of his creative powers, the stories in Winner Take Nothing glow with the mark of his unique talent. Hunters, wives, old men of wisdom, waiters, fighters, women loved, women lost: they are all here, living on the raw edge, making love, facing the inevitable reality of death. The characters, the dialogue, the settings, the remarkable insight could have come only from Hemingway's imagination. As an introduction to his work, or as an overview of the themes he developed at greater length in his novels, it is a stunningly successful collection.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:29 -0400)

Includes a varied collection of 14 short fiction pieces. In these stories, Hemingway's sinewy prose is stripped down, raw, and propellant. His choice of story matter ventures from a wife facing the fallout of her husband's wartime dalliance to the absurdist brilliance of "Homage to Switzerland"--told from the perspectives of 3 colorful characters waiting at Swiss railway stations.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,238,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible