The General in His Labyrinth (1989)

by Gabriel García Márquez

With the style and eloquent language that earned him the Nobel prize for literature, Marquez weaves a stunning story of glory and despair. Both real history and Marquez' imagination let us enter the world of Simon Bolivar, Liberator of South America, in all his humanity - good and evil. Bolivar drove the Spanish out of South America, dealt with treachery from his own compatriots. Once hailed as a hero, he is now scorned and reviled, and fighting his own demons, he refuses to die quietly. We are given a glimpse of the genius and foibles of the man behind the legend, as we accompany him on his last journey, accompanied only by the loyal remants of his once great army.… (more)
Recently added bySONYAns, kbbkris, private library, D.Prisson, MibibliotecaRp, Toresana, GeigerLibrary, SKRM, lisahickey

English (32)  Spanish (5)  Hebrew (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (42)
La storia romanzata degli ultimi anni di Simon Bolivar, liberatore dell'Americano Latina dal dominio coloniale spagnolo a inizi Ottocento. Ma è anche la storia di un uomo e di una figura in declino, con le sue luci d le sue ombre, gioie e scheletri, che, nel rievocare i fasti del suo passato da Libertador, sempre più spesso si mostra per ciò che in realtà è: un uomo come tanti che ha solo saputo scoprir l'eroe celato dentro di lui. ( )
  Carlomascellani73 | Oct 30, 2020 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Read 2016. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 7, 2020 |
2018 (link goes to a LibraryThing page with the review)
https://www.librarything.com/topic/288371#6560447 ( )
  dchaikin | Apr 21, 2020 |
I loved 'One Hundred Years of Solitude.' I loved 'Love in the Time of Cholera.' And then I read 'The General in His Labyrinth,' about the final days in the South American revolutionary Simon Bolivar's life. It was all right. But nothing special. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Aug 3, 2019 |
Had Bolivar not existed, Mr. Garcia Marquez would have had to invent him. Seldom has there been a more fitting match between author and subject. Mr. Garcia Marquez wades into his flamboyant, often improbable and ultimately tragic material with enormous gusto, heaping detail upon sensuous detail, alternating grace with horror, perfume with the stench of corruption, the elegant language of public ceremony with the vulgarity of private moments, the rationalistic clarity of Bolivar's thought with the malarial intensity of his emotions, but tracing always the main compulsion that drives his protagonist: the longing for an independent and unified South America.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brotherus, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morino, AngeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toelke, CathleenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Борисова, АллаTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It seems that the devil controls the business of my life.
(Letter to Santander, August 4, 1823
For Alvaro Mutis, who gave me the idea for writing this book
Jose Palacios, his oldest servant, found him floating naked with his eyes open in the purifying waters of his bath and thought he had drowned.
Lo que mi señor piensa, sólo mi señor lo sabe

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,631,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible