The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary…

The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary Edition--with a new Introduction by the… (original 1976; edition 2006)

by Richard Dawkins

7,12769503 (4.31)1 / 120
Member:questbird
Title:The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary Edition--with a new Introduction by the Author
Authors:Richard Dawkins
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2006), Edition: 30th Anniversary, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Changed my thinking
Tags:nonfiction

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (Author) (1976)

English (65)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (69)
I'd heard a lot about this book and finally got around to checking it out.
Dawkins postulates that the driving force behind biological evolution isn't so much survival of the species as it is survival of the gene. He clearly presents background information on exactly what constitutes a gene (it's not as clearcut as I thought it was) and a lot of evidence supporting his contentions.
But at a certain point, the book just got too tedious to retain my interest. It was during his discussion of various permutations of possible genetic bases of what might be characterized as altruistic behavior by organisms.
Still, I'm glad I ventured into the book. I got a lot out of it. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Aug 14, 2014 |
I have read a few great books from Richard Dawkins and this one is equally amazing. The arguments the author talks about are very thought provoking. Recommended to any one interested in Evolution and its relatives. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
While I was roughly aware of most of the ideas presented in this book, the clear writing certainly does well to explain the fundamentals of modern biology. A recommended read, and anyone who complains about "selfishness" has clearly either not read or not understood the book. ( )
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
Although Darwin, together with Wallace, observed and explained evolution between species, Dawkins gets into the why and how of evolution and in my view successfully explains complicated genetic theories in a way to enable the non-scientist to understand. This was one of the most interesting books I have read. ( )
  hellbent | Feb 10, 2014 |
Although this book was a struggle for me, I'm glad I can finally say I have read it. It was interesting - even if often beyond me. ( )
  infjsarah | Jan 25, 2014 |

Dawkins, RichardAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferreira, Karin de SousaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Intelligent life on a planet comes of age when it first works out the reason for its own existence.
(Dutch) Nederlandse uitg. oorspr. verschenen o.d.t.: Het zelfzuchtige erfdeel

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0199291152, Paperback)

Richard Dawkins' brilliant reformulation of the theory of natural selection has the rare distinction of having provoked as much excitement and interest outside the scientific community as within it. His theories have helped change the whole nature of the study of social biology, and have forced thousands of readers to rethink their beliefs about life.
In his internationally bestselling, now classic volume, The Selfish Gene, Dawkins explains how the selfish gene can also be a subtle gene. The world of the selfish gene revolves around savage competition, ruthless exploitation, and deceit, and yet, Dawkins argues, acts of apparent altruism do exist in nature. Bees, for example, will commit suicide when they sting to protect the hive, and birds will risk their lives to warn the flock of an approaching hawk.
This 30th anniversary edition of Dawkins' fascinating book retains all original material, including the two enlightening chapters added in the second edition. In a new Introduction the author presents his thoughts thirty years after the publication of his first and most famous book, while the inclusion of the two-page original Foreword by brilliant American scientist Robert Trivers shows the enthusiastic reaction of the scientific community at that time. This edition is a celebration of a remarkable exposition of evolutionary thought, a work that has been widely hailed for its stylistic brilliance and deep scientific insights, and that continues to stimulate whole new areas of research today.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:55 -0400)

"The Selfish Gene is remarkable in several ways. First published in 1976, aimed at a general audience and written by a then little-known young lecturer in zoology at Oxford University, The Selfish Gene rapidly became highly influential. The important biological work of such figures as W. D. Hamilton and Robert Trivers was introduced to a wider public for the first time. But that was not all. Drawing together the threads of contemporary research in Neo-Darwinism into a powerful vision of the living world viewed through the eyes of genes as the units of selection, it was a significant contribution to biological thought. The full explanatory power of the gene's eye view was presented, in fine non-technical prose, for the first time in one short volume, bringing novel insights to those working in the field and inspiring whole new areas of research. Yet even that is not all. It has been widely acclaimed too for its literary qualities. Here is a book that set a new standard in science writing for the wider public, a modern masterpiece that fresh generations of aspiring young scientists would seek to emulate."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible