Balzac y la joven costurera China by Sijie…

Balzac y la joven costurera China (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Sijie Dai (Author), Manuel Serrat Crespo (Translator)

Member:olaia999
Title:Balzac y la joven costurera China
Authors:Sijie Dai (Author)
Other authors:Manuel Serrat Crespo (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Salamandra
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ficción

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (2000)

Recently added byprivate library, Khaworth, gsd123, tess_schoolmarm, Keelz09, dmhauser, sasmpls, NicoleSch, ecpenguin, BCLIB

English (166)  Spanish (7)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  English (188)
** spoiler alert **

I liked a lot about this book, and the main character, and it's premise of reading forbidden western books in communist China, but I was filled with dismay by the approach the author took to the abortion. I understand that in communist China, the Little Seamstress wouldn't have had a choice but to get an abortion, but the way the abortion was presented too lightly. The ending of the book was not very satisfying either, I couldn't believe Luo would burn the books for anything less than avoiding discovery, and even then... I was also confused by the sudden character POV switch near the end.

There were scenes I liked. At the beginning when Luo and the main character (whose name, if we were ever told it, I can't remember) saved the MC's violin by saying that he had played a concerto called "Mozart Loves Chairman Mao." That was interesting and served to show what a weird environment they were living in that claiming such an outrageous title for a Mozart piece could save a violin. I liked it when they stole the books from Four-Eyes, and I really liked the scene when they were fixing the village chairman's cavity, but given my high expectations for the book, I was quite disappointed. ( )
  NicoleSch | Nov 26, 2016 |
I have mixed feeling about this book. I enjoyed the insider's snapshot of the Chinese Cultural Revolution--an absolutely insane piece of world history. And the story was entertaining, with just enough lightheartedness to keep if from sinking into what was in fact a very depressing situation. But the ending was weak. The narration faltered and the story took a giant leap that could have used a lot more exposition. Though I appreciate the irony of re-education turned on its head, it was difficult to accept the characters' final decisions without more explanation of how they arrived at those decisions. The book needed at least three more chapters for the end to live up to the promise of the beginning and middle. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie is set during the years of China’s Cultural Revolution. Two young men, the son of a doctor and a dentist, are sent to a remote mountain village for “re-education”. This re-education consists of being forced into backbreaking manual labor. The boys find they have a knack for storytelling and soon they are being given days off to walk to the nearest town, watch a movie and then return and recite this movie to the villagers. They also find that a fellow worker has a hidden cache of forbidden Western literature that, of course, includes Balzac.

They become involved with a local beauty, the daughter of the local tailor, and one of the boys reads Balzac to her and feels himself in love with her. The telling of these stories changes many lives in the book, but perhaps none so much as that of the Little Seamstress as she absorbs Balzac’s words that “a woman’s beauty is a treasure beyond price”.

Written as a poetic fable, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is a layered, engaging story that expresses the power that literature can have over both the individual and the collective. Told in a cinematic style with one scene blending into another, this very visual story of friendship and the loss of innocence both charms and educates. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 17, 2016 |
I dunno. The fact that it's been made a movie turns me off, as does one reviewer who was disturbed and depressed by it. The facts that it's short and that readers keep thinking about it after they finish it do turn me on. We'll see.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
What a delightful book - beautifully written - poetic. During China's Cultural Revolution, three young men are sent to "Phoenix in the Sky" (a mountain village) for re-education. One has a secret horde of books. The other two are captivated by the books and by the little seamstress. Humor abounds, as well. I loved this little book.

I have read this book several times. It is luminously written, and even makes me want to read Balzac (although I still haven't done so). For me, it answers the question, "Why do you read so much?" ( )
  BookConcierge | May 27, 2016 |

Dai Sijieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Häupl, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Induni, Giò WaeckerlinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marfany, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mottinger, RudolfContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rilke, InaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneider, HelmutInterviewersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The village headman, a man of about fifty, sat cross-legged in the centre of the room, close to the coals burning in a hearth that was hollowed out of the floor; he was inspecting my violin.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is an enchanting tale that captures the magic of reading and the wonder of romantic awakening. An immediate international bestseller, it tells the story of two hapless city boys exiled to a remote mountain village for re-education during China’s infamous Cultural Revolution. There the two friends meet the daughter of the local tailor and discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation. As they flirt with the seamstress and secretly devour these banned works, the two friends find transit from their grim surroundings to worlds they never imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

At the height of Mao's infamous Cultural Revolution, two boys are among hundreds of thousands exiled to the countryside for "re-education." The narrator and his best friend, Luo, guilty of being the sons of doctors, find themselves in a remote village where, among the peasants of Phoenix mountain, they are made to cart buckets of excrement up and down precipitous winding paths. Their meager distractions include a violin--as well as, before long, the beautiful daughter of the local tailor. But it is when the two discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation that their re-education takes its most surprising turn. While ingeniously concealing their forbidden treasure, the boys find transit to worlds they had thought lost forever. And after listening to their dangerously seductive retellings of Balzac, even the Little Seamstress will be forever transformed.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,660,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible