Balzac y la joven costurera China by Sijie…

Balzac y la joven costurera China (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Sijie Dai (Author), Manuel Serrat Crespo (Translator)

4,939171927 (3.61)345
Member:olaia999
Title:Balzac y la joven costurera China
Authors:Sijie Dai (Author)
Other authors:Manuel Serrat Crespo (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Salamandra
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ficción

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (2000)

English (150)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (171)

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.

Extremely readable and it really did transport me away. I had to stop a few times and think how easily I am a voracious reader and how magical a gift the world of books is. However, I didn't know what to think when it very suddenly ended.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I thought this was a decent novel, an interesting window into a bizarre episode in global history (the Cultural Revolution), occasionally moving in a coming-of-age type of way, and a reasonably predictable paean to literature in general and Balzac in particular. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress takes place in the remote mountains of China in the early 1970s, documenting the rural re-education of two teenagers--Luo and the narrator--who are respectively the child of a dentist and a doctor. They meet a beautiful seamstress and fall in love with her. At the same time, they discover a trove of banned Western Novels in translation, including Balzac, Dumas, Flaubert and others--which opens their eyes to an entire new world. In some ways this new world is corrupting, particularly for Luo, his relationship with the seamstress, and the semi-tragic conclusion of it all. ( )
1 vote nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
slow! ( )
  itsJUSTme | Jun 14, 2014 |
It was pretty good...except for that bizarre 6-page section 3/4ths of the way through, where one portion was told from changing points of view. I have no idea why the author did that, and it was extremely jarring. I'll admit that I was so thrown by it that I just skimmed that section, and started again at the section with the original narrator, but found that even there, the narrator's voice had changed. It took about 3 pages for his original tone to return. It was really odd. Otherwise, I liked the book quite well, and would have given it more stars. The story was a quick, interesting read, with a lightness of tone, despite the fact that it was set in a rather dark time. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
A book about the amazing power of books and stories.

Favorite quote:
"I was carried away, swept along by the mighty stream of words pouring from the hundreds of pages. To me it was the ultimate book: once you had read it, neither your own life nor the world you lived in would ever look the same." ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

Dai Sijieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Häupl, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Induni, Giò WaeckerlinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marfany, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mottinger, RudolfContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rilke, InaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneider, HelmutInterviewersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The village headman, a man of about fifty, sat cross-legged in the centre of the room, close to the coals burning in a hearth that was hollowed out of the floor; he was inspecting my violin.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is an enchanting tale that captures the magic of reading and the wonder of romantic awakening. An immediate international bestseller, it tells the story of two hapless city boys exiled to a remote mountain village for re-education during China’s infamous Cultural Revolution. There the two friends meet the daughter of the local tailor and discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation. As they flirt with the seamstress and secretly devour these banned works, the two friends find transit from their grim surroundings to worlds they never imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:08 -0400)

At the height of Mao's infamous Cultural Revolution, two boys are among hundreds of thousands exiled to the countryside for "re-education." The narrator and his best friend, Luo, guilty of being the sons of doctors, find themselves in a remote village where, among the peasants of Phoenix mountain, they are made to cart buckets of excrement up and down precipitous winding paths. Their meager distractions include a violin--as well as, before long, the beautiful daughter of the local tailor. But it is when the two discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation that their re-education takes its most surprising turn. While ingeniously concealing their forbidden treasure, the boys find transit to worlds they had thought lost forever. And after listening to their dangerously seductive retellings of Balzac, even the Little Seamstress will be forever transformed.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible