Balzac y la joven costurera China by Sijie…

Balzac y la joven costurera China (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Sijie Dai (Author), Manuel Serrat Crespo (Translator)

Member:olaia999
Title:Balzac y la joven costurera China
Authors:Sijie Dai (Author)
Other authors:Manuel Serrat Crespo (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Salamandra
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ficción

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie (2000)

English (153)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (174)
I picked this up at a super cheap used book sale, and I really rather enjoyed it. I've been reading a lot of books from the perspective of contemporary american teenage girls, so it was nice to get a change of worldview. There was a kind of weird manic pixie dream girl thing going on with the little seamstress that kind of turned me off--she didn't even have a name?? But it made a day of travel more pleasant. ( )
  jaelikesbooks | Sep 23, 2014 |
I watched Gilmore Girls for a long time, and anyone that has knows Rory Gilmore is always reading. Someone compiled a list of all the books shown or read by Rory. When I read the list, I was pleased to see I'd heard of most of them, and read a fair number. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress was one that I had never heard of, but it intrigued me. I jetted over to the local used bookstore and picked up a copy. I'm so glad I did.
This is a mesmerizing story. With deft, eloquent prose, Sijie weaves a tale about individualism, romance, friendship and the power of books to change us - for better or worse. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 1, 2014 |
A very quick read. The initial transitions were a little broken and confusing, but the story of two young Chinese men from the city and their experience of re-education in rural mountain life was entertaining. ( )
  niquetteb | Aug 13, 2014 |
Extremely readable and it really did transport me away. I had to stop a few times and think how easily I am a voracious reader and how magical a gift the world of books is. However, I didn't know what to think when it very suddenly ended.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I thought this was a decent novel, an interesting window into a bizarre episode in global history (the Cultural Revolution), occasionally moving in a coming-of-age type of way, and a reasonably predictable paean to literature in general and Balzac in particular. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress takes place in the remote mountains of China in the early 1970s, documenting the rural re-education of two teenagers--Luo and the narrator--who are respectively the child of a dentist and a doctor. They meet a beautiful seamstress and fall in love with her. At the same time, they discover a trove of banned Western Novels in translation, including Balzac, Dumas, Flaubert and others--which opens their eyes to an entire new world. In some ways this new world is corrupting, particularly for Luo, his relationship with the seamstress, and the semi-tragic conclusion of it all. ( )
1 vote nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |

Dai Sijieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Häupl, MichaelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Induni, Giò WaeckerlinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marfany, MartaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mottinger, RudolfContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rilke, InaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schneider, HelmutInterviewersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The village headman, a man of about fifty, sat cross-legged in the centre of the room, close to the coals burning in a hearth that was hollowed out of the floor; he was inspecting my violin.

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress is an enchanting tale that captures the magic of reading and the wonder of romantic awakening. An immediate international bestseller, it tells the story of two hapless city boys exiled to a remote mountain village for re-education during China’s infamous Cultural Revolution. There the two friends meet the daughter of the local tailor and discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation. As they flirt with the seamstress and secretly devour these banned works, the two friends find transit from their grim surroundings to worlds they never imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:08 -0400)

At the height of Mao's infamous Cultural Revolution, two boys are among hundreds of thousands exiled to the countryside for "re-education." The narrator and his best friend, Luo, guilty of being the sons of doctors, find themselves in a remote village where, among the peasants of Phoenix mountain, they are made to cart buckets of excrement up and down precipitous winding paths. Their meager distractions include a violin--as well as, before long, the beautiful daughter of the local tailor. But it is when the two discover a hidden stash of Western classics in Chinese translation that their re-education takes its most surprising turn. While ingeniously concealing their forbidden treasure, the boys find transit to worlds they had thought lost forever. And after listening to their dangerously seductive retellings of Balzac, even the Little Seamstress will be forever transformed.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,938,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible