Travels in Hyperreality by Umberto Eco

Travels in Hyperreality (1984)

by Umberto Eco

I thought that Eco might be something like buckminster fuller. Apart from referencing him- not so much. Seemed a bit pompous for me. But I'll keep it and read it again in three years and then if I still think he is pompous then I'll ditch it.

aegossman | Feb 25, 2015 |
La Guerre du faux, ou la chronique raisonnée de nos nouvelles mythologies. Une lecture saisissante. Pour réapprendre à voir le monde et percer le mystère des apparences. Blue-jean, football, télévision, terrorisme, hyperréalité, phénomènes de mode, nouveautés technologiques, passions multiples, etc. L'univers quotidien de notre siècle finissant magistralement déchiffré par l'auteur Du Nom de la rose.
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
A nice, popular exploration of a variety of cultural goings-on. Even though the events Eco discusses are dated, his insights are still valuable. ( )
  KatrinkaV | Feb 2, 2012 |
Occasional writings may be very readable on or around the occasion i.c. or in a given time period, but collections of such writings often result in tedious reads one has to drag through. Travels in hyperreality by Umberto Eco is such a collection of dead wood, that someone pasted an enticing new title on. A selection of readings from the 70s and 80s, this volume did me nothing. ( )
  edwinbcn | Oct 3, 2011 |
Amorphous Lump o' Eco: Umberto Eco is clearly a genius - his fictional works testify to that. I assume his reputation as a semiologist is well earned (since I know little about the subject beyond what Walker Percy digested).Unfortunately, I found "Travels in Hyperreality" to be a hastily pasted collection of observations and commentary that is not really worthy of Eco's growing portfolio. The book was sometimes interesting, but dry and tasteless. I thought the whole lot of it could be encapsulated in Eco's strange observations concerning "the wearing of blue jeans." That is, if you're really, really, really into Eco and want to soak up everything he says, then this book will not disappoint. If, on the other hand, you have limited time on your hands, then Eco's fictional works, or "Search for the Perfect Language," are far better temporal investments. Perhaps I didn't get it, or perhaps it was a mistake reading much of it in a bar in Santa Clara, but I would assert that this is only a book for the Eco purist.
2 vote | iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Umberto Ecoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leefeldt, ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two very beautiful naked girls are crouched facing each other.
The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.

Eco displays in these essays the same wit, learning, and lively intelligence that delighted readers of The Name of the Rose and Foucault’s Pendulum. His range is wide, and his insights are acute, frequently ironic, and often downright funny. Translated by William Weaver. A Helen and Kurt Wolff Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,685,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible