Apocalypse How? (Dakota Adams) by Galen…

Apocalypse How? (Dakota Adams) (edition 2019)

by Galen Surlak-Ramsey (Author)

1910809,998 (3.59)None
I never thought I'd have a bounty on my head the size of the Milky Way.Of course, I never thought I'd be able to bend time, either.But hey, life is full of surprises.Don't get me wrong, feeling like a goddess has its perks, but those perks come with a hefty price. My brain is tapioca. I'm stranded in the middle of dead space. Ratters are using me for target practice, and a giant, cybernetic monster named Oscar is trying to make me his chew toy.All this because I played superhero (or thief, according to some) and snatched a doomsday device from an intergalactic mobster.So if I don't make it out of here alive, remember this: Above all else, I want a Viking funeral.… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Apocalypse How? (Dakota Adams)
Authors:Galen Surlak-Ramsey (Author)
Info:Tiny Fox Press LLC (2019), 278 pages
Rating:***
Tags:ebook

Apocalypse How? (Dakota Adams) by Galen Surlak-Ramsey

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sci-fi adventure in the future, reminding me of "Indiana Jones and ...". I found it interesting, but toward the end, I lost track of where Dakota and Tolby were in time, and pretty much just kept reading to finish. And it just ended. But there is a second book, which I suppose continues the adventure. As others have commented, probably aimed at YA audience, but I'm 70 and I enjoyed it. A light, easy sci-fi read. ( )
  tatumjt | Oct 12, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Apocalypse How? is a frenetic novel of humorous quips and a mixture of modernisms and science fiction tropes. The main characters, Dakota and Tolby, are snarky treasure hunters possibly in over their heads as they try to get to a treasure that will make them indescribably wealthy. There are, of course, murderous villains, a number of explosions, and other assorted high action science fiction tropes.

The book is funny, but only so much. And while I enjoyed it okay, there are a lot of conveniences involved in the plot. And the end plainly sets up for a sequel. But it has an unavailingly frenetic pace, which, at times, makes it a lot of work to read. Still, if you want something funny and "far future" science fiction, you might enjoy this. ( )
  teflaime | Oct 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fun, fast-paced adventure novel. I really liked the two main characters and the dynamic between them, and I enjoyed their shenanigans. I will say the pacing felt a bit off to me, some things felt very rushed, and there were a few sections that I felt didn't add anything to the book and should have been cut. Overall, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend to people looking for a fun adventure book, especially if they are fans of Indiana Jones. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Sep 24, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The novel starts off running and never really stops. There is no luxury for breath which in part can be attributed to the enormously long run-on-sentences that are injected every so often. Bear in mind that this is an ERC, so there hopefully will be changes before its final iteration. I wanted to like this novel, but execution just seems to fall flat - the whole experience feels like a dream, a tryhard dream with a lot of attempts at sarcastic witticisms.

The novel is not bad per se, it's just not my cup of tea despite all these cool elements - space travel, anthropomorphic animals, giant bald angels, cute robots who lure you in with ice-cream and cake. I feel that it would find a warmer reception with a YA audience. ( )
  k.leine | Sep 24, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a real romp. If you try not to think too hard about the way things fall into place then it's quite a non-stop rollercoaster ride. Dakota spends pretty much the whole time escaping danger. There are several contemporary SF references (which I love), one of which is key to helping things keep moving. It also references Indiana Jones, who seems to be the inspiration for this story. It feels like it's aimed at a YA audience. ( )
  paulmorriss | Sep 21, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Galen Surlak-Ramsey's book Apocalypse How? is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Galen Surlak-Ramsey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,836,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible