dismiss

A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders…

A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection) (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Regina Scott (Author)

When a spunky photographer wrangles her way onto an 1872 survey crew of the Grand Canyon she thinks nothing can stand in her way. But her mind changes when she finds out she'll be working alongside the one man she doesn't want to fall in love with.
Member:gpsman
Title:A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders Collection)
Authors:Regina Scott (Author)
Info:Revell (2019), 384 pages

A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott (2019)

Thank you to JustRead Publicity and Revell for providing me with a print copy to review. A positive review was not required nor am I being compensated for this review.

Let me start this review with this important note – I am not a historical fiction or historical romance kind of girl. A quick glance at my Goodreads profile, my Bookbub profile, and my blog would tell you that.

So, the high marks and praise in this review do not come with a blind love of the genre, nor do they come simply because this was a “freebie”

Also, this is the first book I’ve ever read by Regina Scott.

With that said …

This was an AMAZING read! The first night/early morning (I started early morning Saturday 9/28) I read 104 pages, stopping at Chapter 9. I couldn’t put it down. All day Saturday as I prepped my review – I couldn’t help but glance at the gorgeous cover and want to steal a read in it. I save my reading for bedtime so I can get things done during the day. I read this in about a day (ending early morning of 9/29), and given the length of the actual story – 356 pages, that was an average of 178 per night. In total, it took roughly 10 hours for me to read this.

That just doesn’t happen very often. It was that good!

“A Distance Too Grand” is the first book in the “American Wonders Collection”, a historical fiction, historical romance series about the National Parks and their history. This novel explores the history of the Grand Canyon which was established February 26, 1919, marking its 100th year this year. The term “Grand Canyon” was coined in 1871, which was previously called the Big Canyon.

“A Distance Too Grand” features Margaret “Meg” Pero, a photographer, who studied under her father. When he dies from an illness, she takes over his profession as well as the contract he had with the US Army and their survey team. The team is headed to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in August 1871.

Unfortunately for Meg, the leader is a man she refused to marry – Captain Ben Coleridge. He would prefer to leave her behind, however he needs her services and they have no time to get a replacement photographer. But, he refuses to allow her to be a distraction. This isn’t any normal survey mission; this is also personal for Ben as he tries to figure out what happened to his father who went missing some months earlier.

Danger begins to confront them – coming from not only outside, but inside as well. Meg and Ben face it together though in this beautiful novel full of intrigue, wonder, danger, and romance.

This is a wonderful book for not only the story line, but the history of one of my favorite subjects – photography. In addition the risks some photographers took to get a picture along with their role with the Army survey teams. It is amazing to learn how far we’ve come with it.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys historical romance, historical fiction, romances with the Army, or expedition stories.

It is interesting to learn how crucial the Army was in the lives of settlers with regard to surveying safe routes, identifying water sources, along with food sources. ( )
  medwards429 | Feb 9, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have never been to the Grand Canyon before but I almost feel like I have thanks to Regina Scott and her astounding imagery. Aside from the beautiful and realistic setting, I also adored the characters. Meg was a favorite of mine with her independent and adventurous nature. She was a budding photographer, which was not a common career for women during that time, and it was interesting to view the world from her artistic point of view. I did feel like the novel was a little slow going at times, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

*Disclaimer - I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. A positive review was not required. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
  amelia_booklove | Oct 31, 2019 |
Book Review: A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott

A book well worth reading: it’s educational, exciting, enlightening, and eloquent.

The teaser page for her next book makes me want to read that one as well. Book Review: A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott
  misterehmuseseh | Oct 29, 2019 |
This is a fantastic story of courage and faith. Both are needed when one is on your own. Meg has lost her father and she needs a job to earn money. Her father had her helping him to take pictures so she knows everything. She decides to help the army photograph the Grand Canyon. She wants to take such great photographs that she can earn money on the photos later. I love the history and the descriptions of the Grand Canyon. I also love the romance also. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Oct 22, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to LibraryThing and publisher Revell for an Advanced Reading copy of this book. All comments and opinions are my own.

I've always like stories about the founding of the American West, and this one focuses on exploring the Grand Canyon, using the narrative of an early Army Corps of Engineers mission to map and document the area around the Grand Canyon a few years after the Civil War. Added to this basic historical story is a romance: the developing relationship of an independent young woman photographer who a few years ago had rejected the romantic advances of the leader of the expedition (a handsome young Army captain). Also included is a search for the captain’s missing father, and a threatening sense of danger during the wilderness expedition.

The characters were varied and realistically described. The daily life on the trail was interesting and well-researched, as were the early photography techniques of our heroine. The landscape descriptions were fresh and original, giving a sense of the majestic canyon and surrounding area.

I liked the fact that many of the characters held a Christian faith, which was much more accepted during that time period. Their comments and beliefs were part of their lifestyle, and the author naturally weaves this aspect into the novel through thoughts, conversation, songs, and personal reflection.

This book would also be great for middle or high school readers. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Oct 22, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

To Edward and William, for understanding Mama's need to create, and to the Creator, for all the wondrous places he made for us to find.
Fort Wilverton, Arizona Territory, August 1871: "You can't be the photographer."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Regina Scott's book A Distance Too Grand is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,763,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible