Beach Music: A Novel by Pat Conroy

Beach Music: A Novel (edition 2002)

by Pat Conroy

Member:whitelady
Title:Beach Music: A Novel
Authors:Pat Conroy
Info:Dial Press Trade Paperback (2002), Paperback, 800 pages

Beach Music by Pat Conroy

English (44)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
This is my favorite of Pat Conroy. I have read it more than once and have favorite sections like the release of the newly hatched turtles and the boys in the boat who get lost at sea. This book also reviews the holocaust and brings its influence into modern day.
  MAGJohnson | Apr 24, 2014 |
(Read in 2011.) This was a disappointing read considering how much I liked Prince of Tides. It seemed disjointed and unbelievable. There was too much going on -- suicide, holocaust, terrorist attack, mother dying. I had to force myself to finish because it was a book club pick. ( )
  Becky221 | Jan 14, 2014 |
One of the classics in Conroy's body of works, this book has its memorable moments. The book basically chronicles the life, thus far, of Jack McCall whose wife, Shyla, killed herself by jumping off a bridge. Set in the coastal low country of South Carolina and in Europe, the story of Shyla and her family as well as the McCall family spins itself out slowly and languorously. The five McCall brothers are constantly at each others' throats throughout the book as their mother dies from leukemia. Since it's a long book, that gets a little wearing on the reader. Otherwise, anyone interested in reading Conroy's works should definitely read this one, too. ( )
  kblinn | Aug 18, 2013 |
I have read this book at least a dozen times, and it remains one of my very favorites. I can't recommend it enough.

The story centers around Jack McCall, who leaves his home in South Carolina and moves to Italy with his daughter, Leah, after losing his wife. The story follows Jack and Leah as they make a new life in Italy, eventually return to South Carolina, and cope with the loss of their beloved wife and mother. There are interesting subplots throughout, along with beautifully written characters, some of whom are larger than life and just as compelling as Jack. We meet Jack's family, his deceased wife's parents - who Jack has a difficult relationship with - and friends with troubled pasts who reappear in Jack's life unexpectedly. It's long, at 800 pages, but the story is so engrossing that the length shouldn't put you off. It flew by for me and I found myself wishing there were more to read.

The book, in my view, is somewhat of a love letter to South Carolina, and the South in general, as are many of Pat Conroy's books. He knows his characters and his settings intimately and treats them with love and respect. For this reason, and many others, Pat Conroy has long been one of my favorite authors. ( )
  MSFJones | Apr 1, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my three brothers: Michael Joseph, James Patrick, And Timothy John - loyalists and life-sharers. And to Thomas Patrick; our hurt brother and lost boy, who took his own life on August 31, 1994.

In 1980, a year after my wife leapt to her death from the Silas Pearlman Bridge in Charleston, South Carolina, I moved to Italy to begin life anew, taking our small daughter with me.

Son returns 'home' to the South from Italy. His mother is dying of leukemia, his dad's a drunk and his in-laws have tried to wrest custody of his child when his wife committed suicide years before. An amazing tale of the ability of the human heart to find forgiveness against all odds. Loved all the plots, the reunions, the HUMOR. Conroy's so funny in a wry and lawyerlike little way!!!!! Loved this. One of my top books, one of the most gifted writers of my generation.

PAT CONROY, America’s preeminent storyteller, delivers a sweeping novel of lyric intensity and searing truth–the story of Jack McCall, an American expatriate in Rome, scarred by tragedy and betrayal. His desperate desire to find peace after his wife’s suicide draws him into a painful, intimate search for the one haunting secret in his family’s past that can heal his anguished heart.

Spanning three generations and two continents, from the contemporary ruins of the American South to the ancient ruins of Rome, from the unutterable horrors of the Holocaust to the lingering trauma of Vietnam, Beach Music sings with life’s pain and glory. It is another masterpiece in PAT CONROY’S legendary list of beloved novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:11 -0400)

The story of Jack McCall, an American expatriate in Rome, who has been scarred by tragedy and betrayal. His desperate desire to find peace after his wife's suicide draws him into a painful, intimate search for the one haunting secret in his family's past that can heal his anguished heart. Spanning three generations and two continents, from the contemporary ruins of the American South to the ancient ruins of Rome, from the unutterable horrors of the Holocaust to the lingering trauma of Vietnam, Beach Music sings with life's pain and glory.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible