Beach Music by Pat Conroy

Beach Music (edition 1996)

by Pat Conroy

Member:ca_dmv
Title:Beach Music
Authors:Pat Conroy
Info:Bantam (1996), Edition: 1st mass market printing, Mass Market Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Beach Music by Pat Conroy

English (48)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Amazing. I'll read a book by this man printed on used toilet paper. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
quirky set of friends in Southern town
Jack McCall, widower daughter living in Rome — searches his haunting past
alcoholism, depression, etc.
  christinejoseph | Jul 15, 2016 |
I just can't get enough of Pat Conroy. This tale plays out over two continents, and as is always the case with Conroy, features a cast of Southern characters that are truly unique. What a story. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 5, 2015 |

I liked Beach Music, much more than I liked Conroy's best-known work The Prince of Tides, but I felt it was not quite the sum of its parts. The parts are all pretty good, so this is not damning with faint praise: the experience of Catholics and Jews, both minority groups in of course rather different ways, in South Carolina in the period of the Vietnam War, with flashbacks to the lived experience of the Holocaust and also a narrative in the 1980s. The core pillar is the slow death of the narrator's mother; the descriptions of people and places - particularly Rome, which is beautifully conveyed - are all pretty compelling. ( )
  nwhyte | Apr 11, 2015 |
A truly brilliant novel -- rich in character, rich in mood. Jack and his daughter Leah were at the center, but his dysfunctional family and his group of mostly dysfunctional friends helped weave the tapestry surrounding Jack and Leah. His mother's illness was a little tough for me to take because of my own mother's recent illness and death, but otherwise it was a truly beautiful book. ( )
  AliceAnna | Sep 9, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my three brothers: Michael Joseph, James Patrick, And Timothy John - loyalists and life-sharers. And to Thomas Patrick; our hurt brother and lost boy, who took his own life on August 31, 1994.

In 1980, a year after my wife leapt to her death from the Silas Pearlman Bridge in Charleston, South Carolina, I moved to Italy to begin life anew, taking our small daughter with me.

Son returns 'home' to the South from Italy. His mother is dying of leukemia, his dad's a drunk and his in-laws have tried to wrest custody of his child when his wife committed suicide years before. An amazing tale of the ability of the human heart to find forgiveness against all odds. Loved all the plots, the reunions, the HUMOR. Conroy's so funny in a wry and lawyerlike little way!!!!! Loved this. One of my top books, one of the most gifted writers of my generation.

PAT CONROY, America’s preeminent storyteller, delivers a sweeping novel of lyric intensity and searing truth–the story of Jack McCall, an American expatriate in Rome, scarred by tragedy and betrayal. His desperate desire to find peace after his wife’s suicide draws him into a painful, intimate search for the one haunting secret in his family’s past that can heal his anguished heart.

Spanning three generations and two continents, from the contemporary ruins of the American South to the ancient ruins of Rome, from the unutterable horrors of the Holocaust to the lingering trauma of Vietnam, Beach Music sings with life’s pain and glory. It is another masterpiece in PAT CONROY’S legendary list of beloved novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

The story of Jack McCall, an American expatriate in Rome, who has been scarred by tragedy and betrayal. His desperate desire to find peace after his wife's suicide draws him into a painful, intimate search for the one haunting secret in his family's past that can heal his anguished heart. Spanning three generations and two continents, from the contemporary ruins of the American South to the ancient ruins of Rome, from the unutterable horrors of the Holocaust to the lingering trauma of Vietnam, Beach Music sings with life's pain and glory.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible