Marked by P. C. Cast
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (kassyavon)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Kerian, PandorasRequiem)
    PandorasRequiem: Same flavor *grin* as these books in this series. If you like this series, you will also most likely "Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz. Private "Vampire Finishing School": narrated by the outcast who has problems fitting into her new surroundings, her new attraction to blood and the Changes in her body. But, she has good friends who stand by her and attracts the eye of a quite fetching young man. Good read, same type of genre. :)… (more)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Lavinient)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Kateri28)

English (268)  German (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (274)
One typical day in high school, Zoey became one of the chosen, chosen to become a vampyre. Now she would have to leave her home and leave her school. Really, she would be leaving everything behind. She would have a new place to live, new friends, a new school, and – if she survived – a new way of life. But sometimes a person’s body rejected “the change,” and he or she would just die. But if you didn’t go to the school to become a vampyre, for sure you would sicken and die. Zoey soon discovers that even among the fledgling vamps, she is unusual. And she also discovers that like a typical high school, there is a hierarchy of kids – the elite on one end and the dorks on the other, with most of the kids somewhere in the middle. Zoey soon realizes that she has powers beyond the fledgling vamp, and that to whom much is given, much is expected. Is Zoey up to the task? This paranormal teen novel is the first of a series and though aimed at teens, it will still appeal to adults who enjoy this genre. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 4, 2015 |
I did like it. Enough to want to read the next book, probably the others too, but it's just.....missing something. Maybe it's because it's part one of a long story and so it feels like not a lot happened in this one. But maybe it's because it's similar to another book I read, which seemed to have a lot more story to it. And no, I'm not talking about Twilight. The only similarities this has with Twilight, is that there are vamps in both storylines.

I'm thinking it's more like a series I read which has a boy lead....and he's a wizard. Zoey's been marked on her forehead with a crescent to let her know she's special, she's moved to a new boarding school full of other 'marked' kids, they're all special but she's uber special, her parents are a total waste of space but she's got a nice older mentor at the school to look out for her, she picks up a few outsiders as friends and they all hate the blonde, mean kid who hates them right back..... it's been done before. OK, that time it was magic and a lightning bolt on the forehead, but still.....

I actually like the diagloge though.....Well, apart from the word 'poopie', that's REALLY bad. The 'Oh Hell!' and 'Nu uh' language made it easier to get the feel of the characters but it's very obviously a YA novel. I'm not in the target audience probably, but that shouldn't be a barrier to me liking it more....I wasn't in the Harry Potter age bracket either but I lapped that up.

I think it's just that when all is said and done, this is just an ok book with some interesting ideas. I don't think it would matter what age I was, to me it still would be only 'ok'.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes multi book series, vampires, Harry Potter and/or teenage angst. Although, having said that, the much talked about early scene between a boy and a girl caught in an 'act', isn't really for anyone under the age of 16....legally speaking. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
I think this book is a unique and pretty entertaining new spin on vampires. I found Zoey to be a tad whiny in some parts of the book but she is a teenager and she did just turn into a completely different creature so I cut her some slack on the whiny. I love Zoey's friends even if a couple of them are sort of weird, like I wouldn't expect any teenager to act the way a couple of these characters do. Erik...*sigh* is adorable, delicious, and awesome. I have read the whole series and this is a re-read but I still like Erik. I am re-reading for 'Burned'.

The plot of the book is perfect, just enough going on and just enough suspense and mystery to keep you hooked and reading. There is a lot of beautiful Earth based religion in the book as well, I really love that. I think this book is good, I will post reviews for the rest of the series as I read them. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I just finished reading Marked. It is the first book in the House Of Night series written by P.C. and Kristin Cast. Zoey leads a normal life where her biggest worry is how she’s going to pass the geometry test. Then, a vampyre tracker finds her and marks her. She must move to the House Of Night where she will either change fully into a vampyre or her body will reject the change and she will die. Will she learn to adapt to her new life and make new friends? Will she recover from her world being turned upside down?

I really love this series. It has to be one of my favorite series of all time. This isn’t the first time I read this book. I’ll be honest. The first few times I read it, I didn’t know that it was possible to review books. Then when I read it again after learning to review, I didn’t have my own style of reviewing down pat. I think this series is very unique and enjoyable. I like how easily it is to relate to the characters.

I don’t really have many problems with this book. I mean there are parts that I feel were a little rushed over and other parts I feel were slightly exaggerated and unrealistic, but honestly that’s part of the charm of the book! It’s like the reader is supposed to fill in the gaps with their own interpretation in some parts. There’s not really anything wrong with that. Most of us readers have the imagination to pull it off.

I do fully recommend this book. I recommend this entire series. The last book in the series was released almost two weeks ago. It’s the main reason I’m re-reading the series. I want to give this series a good final closure. Though, in all honesty, I’ll probably eventually re-read the series again sometime in the future. This is one of my favorite series of all times! ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Oct 25, 2014 |
Some of the teen-speak annoyed me as well as the assumptions and judgements about others. I don't remember being that bad as a teenager. Also I feel like I all ready know what will take place in the sequel, I'm not sure whether that was the intention of the authors to make it obvious but anyway other than that it was an okay book. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
From Hesiod's poem to Nyx, the Greek personification of night:

"There also stands the gloomy house of Night; ghastly clouds shroud it in darkness.
Before it Atlas stands erect and on his head
and unwearying arms firmly supports the
broad sky,
where Night and Day cross a bronze threshold
and then come close and greet each other."

(Hesiod, Theogony, 744 ᶠᶠ∙)
For our wonderful agent, Meredith Bernstein, who said the three magic words: vampyre finishing school. We heart you!
Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.
I've found that the way a person feels about cats - and the way they feel about him or her in return - is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character.
Cats chose us; we don't own them.

Enter the dark, magical world of House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampyre. That is, if she makes it through the change-and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her new powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for that courage to embrace her destiny-with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed.

One minute, sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird is a normal teenager dealing with everyday high school stress: her cute boyfriend Heath, the school’s star quarterback who suddenly seems more interested in partying than playing ball; her nosy frenemy Kayla, who’s way too concerned with how things are going with Heath; her uber-tough geometry test tomorrow.  The next, she’s Marked as a fledgling vampyre, forcing her to leave her ordinary life behind and join the House of Night, a boarding school where she will train to become an adult vampyre.  That is, if she makes it through the Change—and not all of those who are Marked do.  It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling.  She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint with Heath, who just doesn’t know how to take “no” for an answer.  To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: when she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampires have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampire Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampire friends.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,114,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible