Marked by P. C. Cast
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (kassyavon)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Kerian, PandorasRequiem)
    PandorasRequiem: Same flavor *grin* as these books in this series. If you like this series, you will also most likely "Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz. Private "Vampire Finishing School": narrated by the outcast who has problems fitting into her new surroundings, her new attraction to blood and the Changes in her body. But, she has good friends who stand by her and attracts the eye of a quite fetching young man. Good read, same type of genre. :)… (more)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Lavinient)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Kateri28)

English (285)  German (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (291)
Fun new (to me) series! Zoey is leaving school one day when a vampyre tracker Marks her as a vampyre, too - with a blue crescent moon on her forehead. All "fledgling" vamps bear this mark, and are required to go to a special boarding school for instruction and vampire schooling. Zoey just wants to fit in and not draw too much attention to herself, but alas this is not to be. She takes on the uber-bitch Aphrodite, an older fledgling who is the leader of the Daughters and Sons of the Night, kind of like the vampire elite sorority. There is some fun sexual tension with a hot vampire guy and some hilarious imprinting stuff with an ex-boyfriend. All in all, it's a fun, quick read. I'm glad there are more in the series, now if only the hold line at the library wasn't so dang long for the next one!

Kind of strange hybrid of vampire, Native American/shaman and wiccan/pagan lore, but it pretty much works. There were also some instances when I found myself comparing this to Harry Potter (the boarding school, the "specialness" of the main character, hello! the extra-special mark on her forehead)...but I'm willing to overlook it for an entertaining story. This is also written for an older YA crowd than Harry Potter. More like the Twilight crowd, although I didn't find myself drawing too many comparisons to that series. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Juvenile, but entertaining. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Zoey Redbird lives in a world where vampires have always existed. One day, Zoey is marked by a Tracker to become a fledgling vampire at the Tulsa House of Night, a boarding school where she will be trained to become an adult vampire. What's unusual about Zoey is the fact that her mark was completely filled in, unlike most fledglings. Zoey finds that she is different from most vampires and meets her best friends, Stevie Rae, Damien, Erin and Shaunee. She also meets Aphrodite, a snobby leader of the "Dark Daughters and Sons". At one point, Zoey is invited spitefully by Aphrodite into the organization by the command of Neferet, the headmistress o The House of Night in Tulsa. After saving her ex-boyfriend, Heath, from Aphrodite and her friends who attempt to kill him, Zoey is informed by Aphrodite that "it's not over yet - you don't understand" and the book ends.
  KatelynC.G1 | Jan 27, 2016 |
It was an interesting book. As far as vampires go, it was a good book, and restored my faith in today's vampires somewhat. (Meyer-eesh!) However, there were areas that made me feel very uncomfortable, and I have the sneaking feeling that the it's going to slowly get worse as the books progress until I have to stop reading them. The question is, do I go off my gut feelings and stop now, or should I push on till I can't take it any more? I'm going with the second option. I feel uncomfortable about the way this series is heading and I don't think I ought to read any more.

If someone who has read the whole series can tell me that my premonitions are wrong, that would be nice, but until then I won't read any more. Too bad, though... it was a really good book, if you take out the part I was uncomfortable with. ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |
Decent teenage vampire story that focuses more on the battle between good and evil instead of on a love story. ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
From Hesiod's poem to Nyx, the Greek personification of night:

"There also stands the gloomy house of Night; ghastly clouds shroud it in darkness.
Before it Atlas stands erect and on his head
and unwearying arms firmly supports the
broad sky,
where Night and Day cross a bronze threshold
and then come close and greet each other."

(Hesiod, Theogony, 744 ᶠᶠ∙)
For our wonderful agent, Meredith Bernstein, who said the three magic words: vampyre finishing school. We heart you!
Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.
I've found that the way a person feels about cats - and the way they feel about him or her in return - is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character.
Cats chose us; we don't own them.

Enter the dark, magical world of House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampyre. That is, if she makes it through the change-and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her new powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for that courage to embrace her destiny-with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed.

One minute, sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird is a normal teenager dealing with everyday high school stress: her cute boyfriend Heath, the school’s star quarterback who suddenly seems more interested in partying than playing ball; her nosy frenemy Kayla, who’s way too concerned with how things are going with Heath; her uber-tough geometry test tomorrow.  The next, she’s Marked as a fledgling vampyre, forcing her to leave her ordinary life behind and join the House of Night, a boarding school where she will train to become an adult vampyre.  That is, if she makes it through the Change—and not all of those who are Marked do.  It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling.  She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint with Heath, who just doesn’t know how to take “no” for an answer.  To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: when she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampires have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampire Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampire friends.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,199,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible