Marked by P. C. Cast
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (kassyavon)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Kerian, PandorasRequiem)
    PandorasRequiem: Same flavor *grin* as these books in this series. If you like this series, you will also most likely "Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz. Private "Vampire Finishing School": narrated by the outcast who has problems fitting into her new surroundings, her new attraction to blood and the Changes in her body. But, she has good friends who stand by her and attracts the eye of a quite fetching young man. Good read, same type of genre. :)… (more)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Lavinient)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Kateri28)

English (273)  German (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (279)
I really was taken aback by how much I enjoyed this book. I loved the mythos and the background that is set up for this really unique view/take on Vampires. P.C. Cast did an excellent job and this book was done within one day--which has become standard practice for all the books/comics I have read by the Casts. I recommend it for any lovers of Vampire novels, even if you don't read YA novels. Although you may not want to continue in the series, as there seems to be less background/mythos as the series goes on (in my opinion). Anyways I really liked it and am currently about half way through the entire series. Although at times it gets to be a little to "young adult" for me, (I'm 25 so not really that old but yeah) by the end of each book I still want to read the next. The only critique, or perhaps the biggest critique I will make is that I wish there was MORE legend and mythos included in each book. Because the history of the vampires and the Goddess Nyx are SO unique and brilliant, I am always hungry for more. However, I do know there are novellas available that go into this (i haven't yet read them). AND the comic books that Dark Horse released are purely background/mythos and I LOVED them. Anyways, if you read Twilight saga..and are itching for more I recommend this book! It's an easy read and very imaginative. The reader really feels like this world could exist. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Saben , que metan muchos chicos homosexuales y mujeres sin la estupidez de la "santa virginidad" no significa que no discrimines ni que seas feminista . A veces , es todo lo contrario .

Hay que leer siempre entre líneas y conocer de lo que estás hablando .... ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Summary: This book follows Zoey, a normal girl who is one day marked and turned into a vampire. She must uproot her whole life and move to a boarding schools especially for vampires. She leaves behind her boyfriend, her best friend and family to go through the scary transition without knowing anyone. She learns all about her new life and makes friends who help make the transition less scary.

Personal connection: I thought going to a school like this would be so cool, and made such an interesting story line.

Class use: Talk about schooling and the difference between boarding school and public school. Talk about pros and cons for both. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
I was totally into it. This will be a series I could easily get addicted to. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
I think this book has gotten some negativity because it goes way over-board on drama for a character who claims to not like drama. Secondly, Zoey is highly judgmental of everyone all the while spouting her know-it-all attitude as if she's perfect and right with tons of experience. Experience she has tons of because of her full 16 years. (Sarcasm) She reminds me of the girl who has a sweet disposition and everyone loves because of it but she is manipulative and wails "woe is me" at almost every turn. So, in the end having her as a friend and liking her becomes more work than its worth as she will always be taking and never giving.

I like the plot and idea behind this book. (However, there are entirely too many of parenthesis of thoughts) Why can't they just be thoughts? There's no need for all of these (). The other characters are engaging and the conflict between the daughter and mother is good. It is just too much flippancy and judgements to be taken as a well thought out novel, let alone a series. I also wasn't sure if this was a hate book for a religious organization since the majority of the book droned on about people of the faith. It became more like a way to vent some issues the writers must be dealing with and forced into the plot. Enlightening a little on the area of religious differences if good for future conflict and options, but to give chapters of drivel in lecture form is more of a cry for help.

I was loaned the entire series from a friend because she said it was ok, but I'm wondering if it can get better. I will, because I said I would, read at least the next chapters, but I am very thankful I didn't actually invest money in this series so far. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
From Hesiod's poem to Nyx, the Greek personification of night:

"There also stands the gloomy house of Night; ghastly clouds shroud it in darkness.
Before it Atlas stands erect and on his head
and unwearying arms firmly supports the
broad sky,
where Night and Day cross a bronze threshold
and then come close and greet each other."

(Hesiod, Theogony, 744 ᶠᶠ∙)
For our wonderful agent, Meredith Bernstein, who said the three magic words: vampyre finishing school. We heart you!
Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.
I've found that the way a person feels about cats - and the way they feel about him or her in return - is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character.
Cats chose us; we don't own them.

Enter the dark, magical world of House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampyre. That is, if she makes it through the change-and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her new powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for that courage to embrace her destiny-with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed.

One minute, sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird is a normal teenager dealing with everyday high school stress: her cute boyfriend Heath, the school’s star quarterback who suddenly seems more interested in partying than playing ball; her nosy frenemy Kayla, who’s way too concerned with how things are going with Heath; her uber-tough geometry test tomorrow.  The next, she’s Marked as a fledgling vampyre, forcing her to leave her ordinary life behind and join the House of Night, a boarding school where she will train to become an adult vampyre.  That is, if she makes it through the Change—and not all of those who are Marked do.  It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling.  She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint with Heath, who just doesn’t know how to take “no” for an answer.  To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: when she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampires have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampire Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampire friends.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible