Marked by P. C. Cast
5,920268705 (3.73)179
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (kassyavon)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Kerian, PandorasRequiem)
    PandorasRequiem: Same flavor *grin* as these books in this series. If you like this series, you will also most likely "Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz. Private "Vampire Finishing School": narrated by the outcast who has problems fitting into her new surroundings, her new attraction to blood and the Changes in her body. But, she has good friends who stand by her and attracts the eye of a quite fetching young man. Good read, same type of genre. :)… (more)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Lavinient, fannyprice)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Kateri28)

English (262)  German (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (268)
Marked and The House of Night Series (3.5)

Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night. That's the first thing written in the back of the book of Marked, the first book in the House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. And it surely is true.
From the first page I read of this book, I was totally hooked. It has this catchy rhythm that makes you want to keep reading until you finish reading every single drop of ink the book contains. I finished the book in a couple of days (blame my two schools and teachers that give you homework like there's no tomorrow) and I immediately felt I needed to buy the next book. And the entire series. Gladly, my BFF gave them to me, so I didn't need to be stressing over how much I had to save to buy them. (Yes, she gave me the first 8 books. And yes, she is the best.)

Marked is the story about Zoey Montgomery (later known as Zoe Redbird), a sixteen-year-old normal, simple girl. She is kinda-dating the quarterback, Heath, who has been her best friend since ever. She has a "BFF" (that I wouldn't have even if they paid me) since she was in third grade. She has problems with her mother and her stepfather because they can't get along with each other. She is just a completely normal girl going through her life like each of us. Until she is Marked.

Let's make a stop here so I can explain a little bit of the world of The House of Night Series. First, in this world, vampyres aren't the scary things the world has been teaching us for all this time. No, they are actually respected by lots and feared by some -thought the big majority of these "some" seem to live in Tulsa, the home of Zoey and one of the biggest House of Night schools of USA. Vampyres have been living with humans since ever: Shakespeare was a vampyre, as well as Cleopatra and other important people in world history. Next, vampyres aren't scared of the light nor do they die if they touch it. That is, if you survive the Change. The Change is a process every marked fledging has to go through, and your body can either accept the Change and transform into a full Vampyre -not getting burned by the sun, free-will in the day, special abilities- or reject the Change and die, and this time, forever. Also, vampyres have a Goddess: Nyx, the queen of the night; and Erebus, who is the guardian of Nyx and serves as the example for the guys.

With that covered, let's continue with Marked. Zoey Redbird is Marked by a Tracker, a vampyre that follows the Goddess wishes and marks a person so they become a vampyre fledging. If you are marked, you will instantly get a dark blue outline of a crescendo moon tattooed in the middle of your forehead. Once you go through the Change, the outline is filled completely and you also get a tattoo design that has to do with your ability framing your face. But, since Zoey is just a fledging, she has a dark blue outline in her forehead, something that makes her so-named best friend Kayla practically run, scared that Zoey has suddenly turned into a monster (talk about staying in the good and bad moments...). Anyways, Zoey tries to just go home and disappear from the school grounds when (you won't guess this!!) the infamous Heath appears with a couple of friends drinking. (At school. While he drives. Yep, that's why so many teens crush their cars.) Zoey tries to ignore him so he doesn't see the brand-new mark on her face, but there he keeps insisting until he and the others see her mark, entering a shock state which Zoey used to escape and get home.

Not that she was going to get anything better there. When she gets home and her mother sees her mark, she starts getting hysterical about what "John will think of her". Mhm, no "Sweetheart, everything is going to be alright, I will always love you no matter what" or "I will find a way, there's have to be something I can do so you don't have to suffer". No, she thinks about what John will do. Of course, she tells John immediately and he decides to make a prayer-circle for Zoey, thing she can't take and decides to escapes to her Grandma Redbird's arms. So, Zoey fleas to her grandmother's lavender farm, where she finds her grandma isn't home and decides to take a walk around to see if she finds her in her usual spot. While she walks around, she falls and gets an ugly hit on her head, which sends her into unconsciousness. While she is unconscious, she sees Nyx, who gives Zoey some special powers, powers she doesn't see right afterward and she can't understand. Nyx kisses her forehead, sending her again into unconsciousness.

When Zoey wakes-up, she finds herself in the House of Night infirmary, where she sees her grandmother and another important character: Neferet, who is the Priestess and will become Zoey's advisor and mentor. Neferet gives Zoey a mini tour around the school ground, after which Zoey encounters an embarrassing situation: she sees a blonde girl forcing a boy into receiving a blow job. Yep, in the school's hallway. Zoey will try to back-off unnoticed, but the guy will see her and they will lock eyes. Long story short, Neferet will come back and lead her toward her new room in the student resident.

After the disturbing situation is over, Zoey will meet a couple of people and start her adventure in the House of Night.

With Marked, I have lots of mixed feelings. I have this weird love-hate relationship with this book (and the series as a whole too). I admit I had an awesome time reading the books and it did let me wanting more, but... They are just certain things I can't look over or ignore. Let's see... I will make you a list of the Pros and Cons of that book alone and the whole series:

Pro: Zoey is an extremely relatable character.
This practically explains itself alone. Zoey has a pretty much average life: she goes to school, she doesn't understand geometry and she struggles with having a relatively normal popularity -not too known nor too "wallflower". She is not perfect, gets hurt by the comments and actions of other people and dreams of being with the hottest guy in school.

Con: Geometry.
Ok, I understand the author needs something we students may see like something difficult so we can relate to how the MC is feeling, but... Is it really necessary having to compare every single thing with geometry? It's not like it's THAT hard. After the 10th time they wrote "I wished I could go back to the life where I only cared about my geometry test tomorrow", I was getting sick of the reference. And it continues through all the book and all the series. Oh, and sometimes, it's the opposite. Everything can look bad, unless you look at a geometry test and find that your life isn't really that messed up.

Pro: Normal, Every-day language.
P.C. Cast hits the nail writing like a teenager would. I don't think this really need that much of an explanation. She writes in an easy, teen-like language, which helps when you like trying to get into character while reading certain POV.

Con: Do teens really curse that much?
I'm sorry, but I don't like curse language. The worst word I say is probably "hell", but this book has a wide range of words, though not like others. It does include frequently certain words that I never used, so I really ask myself: Is it completely necessary to write those words? And, if it is, I don't see the connection of needing and abusing. Four - Six curse words in a book I can accept. After all, when people get really angry, they usually curse. But, where's the need of calling someone like that almost every time they talk about him/her?

Pro: You can see the reasons why Zoey does the things she does.
Zoey is no moron. Zoey doesn't make a lot of decisions in the heat of the moment. She actually likes to think things for a long time before making anything, but it doesn't come as if she was extremely smart or unnaturally slow. It comes just right: it feels like when we need to make an important decision and think about it all the time. It's another thing that makes Zoey like-able: she is real.

Con: WHAT?!
This con may be a little bit influenced by my beliefs, but I think other people will be with me in this one too. Zoey, like I said before, is really thoughtful about things. So, there comes a part in book 3 or book 2 or even book 4(sorry, I will check later in which one) that totally ruined my image of her. It was just wrong, and it didn't quite fitted with the image the author had been delivering to us of Zoey. I don't want to say anything else because I don't want to spoiler anyone who hasn't read the books, but once you read it, you will notice what I'm talking about.

You can see that I wrote 3 Pros and 3 Cons. I just wrote those because I think some of the other reasons are a bit biased and I don't want anyone to make a wrong assumption with the books. Just so you know, I love The House of Night Series, I have 8 of the books and it is one of my favorite series, as well as the first but not least or last book I read from the Casts. The story has it´s downs and all, but I think I enjoyed it for a while.

If you can ignore or overlook the cons listed up, I think you can stand reading it, though I don´t promise you will love it. ( )
  Liinda97 | Sep 9, 2014 |
Marked and The House of Night Series (3.5)

Pro: Zoey is an extremely relatable character.

Con: Geometry.

Pro: Normal, Every-day language.

Con: Do teens really curse that much?

Pro: You can see the reasons why Zoey does the things she does.

Con: WHAT?!

Liinda97 | Sep 9, 2014 |
I think this book has gotten some negativity because it goes way over-board on drama for a character who claims to not like drama. Secondly, Zoey is highly judgmental of everyone all the while spouting her know-it-all attitude as if she's perfect and right with tons of experience. Experience she has tons of because of her full 16 years. (Sarcasm) She reminds me of the girl who has a sweet disposition and everyone loves because of it but she is manipulative and wails "woe is me" at almost every turn. So, in the end having her as a friend and liking her becomes more work than its worth as she will always be taking and never giving.

I like the plot and idea behind this book. (However, there are entirely too many of parenthesis of thoughts) Why can't they just be thoughts? There's no need for all of these (). The other characters are engaging and the conflict between the daughter and mother is good. It is just too much flippancy and judgements to be taken as a well thought out novel, let alone a series. I also wasn't sure if this was a hate book for a religious organization since the majority of the book droned on about people of the faith. It became more like a way to vent some issues the writers must be dealing with and forced into the plot. Enlightening a little on the area of religious differences if good for future conflict and options, but to give chapters of drivel in lecture form is more of a cry for help.

I was loaned the entire series from a friend because she said it was ok, but I'm wondering if it can get better. I will, because I said I would, read at least the next chapters, but I am very thankful I didn't actually invest money in this series so far. ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
I tried to like Zoey, I really did, I really really did. But it was simply too hard. She isn't developed properly and so I never felt like she was real. She is also super perfect, the cute boy in school instantly takes an interest in her, she also has her almost ex-boyfriend trying to get back with her, she gets so many powers and everything happens in a matter of 3 days. I don't generally mind Mary Sue like characters, but Zoey was a little too much for me.

If Zoey, who was the narrator and the one we see the most, isn't developed, then it isn't that much of a surprise that no one else is either. That isn't too bad, it's only the first novel and they can still be fleshed out, but it would be nice if everyone wasn't such a cliche. Her step-father is a religious nut. Her mother is a submissive do nothing. Her grandmother is all understanding. Her friend Damien, is the gay boy whose parents reject him. Aphrodite, is the mean girl and ho. Zoey's human friend, Kayla, is the friend who wants her boyfriend and is a ho. And there are two girls, one black the other who is white and blond, who are so alike that everyone calls them Twins. This is fine, it's cute, until they constantly end their sentences with twin this and twin that. It happens almost every other sentence.

The book has a lot of great ideas and I like that people become vampyres due to hormones and changes in the body, it's unique and very interesting to read. However, it wasn't executed properly and Zoey becoming the most powerful fledgling, and everything that she wants in the matter of a few days is ridiculous. It happens too quickly and the climax was a let down due to this. It would have been nicer if it took the span of a year, like Harry Potter, so that the characters, motivation, and plot flows better.

I was disappointed, but I'll probably read the next book because the matter about the ghosts doesn't get solved and I want to find out what happens with them. ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Took a long time, maybe two-thirds of the book, for me to get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down. It's a worthwhile investment, because the rest of the series is a whirlwind of entertainment.
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
From Hesiod's poem to Nyx, the Greek personification of night:

"There also stands the gloomy house of Night; ghastly clouds shroud it in darkness.
Before it Atlas stands erect and on his head
and unwearying arms firmly supports the
broad sky,
where Night and Day cross a bronze threshold
and then come close and greet each other."

(Hesiod, Theogony, 744 ᶠᶠ∙)
For our wonderful agent, Meredith Bernstein, who said the three magic words: vampyre finishing school. We heart you!
Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.
I've found that the way a person feels about cats - and the way they feel about him or her in return - is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character.
Cats chose us; we don't own them.

Enter the dark, magical world of House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampyre. That is, if she makes it through the change-and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her new powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for that courage to embrace her destiny-with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed.

One minute, sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird is a normal teenager dealing with everyday high school stress: her cute boyfriend Heath, the school’s star quarterback who suddenly seems more interested in partying than playing ball; her nosy frenemy Kayla, who’s way too concerned with how things are going with Heath; her uber-tough geometry test tomorrow.  The next, she’s Marked as a fledgling vampyre, forcing her to leave her ordinary life behind and join the House of Night, a boarding school where she will train to become an adult vampyre.  That is, if she makes it through the Change—and not all of those who are Marked do.  It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling.  She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint with Heath, who just doesn’t know how to take “no” for an answer.  To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: when she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampires have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampire Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampire friends.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,665,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible