Marked by P. C. Cast
5,699None744 (3.72)178
2009 (22) boarding school (36) ebook (22) fantasy (202) fiction (186) friendship (29) high school (35) horror (20) House of Night (128) house of night series (35) magic (48) own (28) P.C. Cast (24) paranormal (106) paranormal romance (25) read (52) read in 2009 (18) romance (83) school (31) series (101) supernatural (43) teen (66) teen fiction (16) to-read (78) unread (15) urban fantasy (70) vampires (595) YA (147) young adult (227) young adult fiction (27)
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (kassyavon)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Kerian, PandorasRequiem)
    PandorasRequiem: Same flavor *grin* as these books in this series. If you like this series, you will also most likely "Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz. Private "Vampire Finishing School": narrated by the outcast who has problems fitting into her new surroundings, her new attraction to blood and the Changes in her body. But, she has good friends who stand by her and attracts the eye of a quite fetching young man. Good read, same type of genre. :)… (more)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Lavinient, fannyprice)
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Kateri28)

English (257)  German (4)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (264)
Zoey Redbird used to be a normal teenager dealing with normal teenage stuff ?? boyfriends, school, parties ƒ?? until the day sheƒ??s marked with a tattoo right in the middle of her forehead. This signifies her as a vampyre and means that she has to go live in the House of Night, or sheƒ??ll die. Nobody knows what causes vampirism ƒ?? it has something to do with junk DNA and itƒ??s a physiological reaction to puberty hormones in some kids.

Zoeyƒ??s parents, conservative religious zealots who are more worried about what the neighbors will say than they are about how Zoey feels, are horrified by the mark. They call the elders of the Faith to come pray for Zoey, but she sneaks out and runs away to the House of Night. There she learns about being a vampyre, makes new friends and enemies, watches kids die when they donƒ??t make it through the change, and discovers that she has extra special powers and a Destiny... Read the rest at Fantasy Literature: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/marked-2/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This is one of those guilty pleasure reads - it's a terrible book in a lot of ways and yet I couldn't put it down. ( )
  chickalea | Mar 14, 2014 |
I've chosen to re-read the series because I'm hearing so much about it lately and it seems so much different from what I can remember. The first time around I liked it but found some of the plot boring, melodramatic and pretty much the same old vampire story as well as the characters being just plain annoying. Lets hope the second time around will be better, yes? So until then.. ( )
  FromDuskTilDawn | Mar 1, 2014 |
This book was pretty good for what it is, a young adult light romance vampire fantasy angled toward young teens. With that in mind, I was able to overlook the immature nature of the story, and the juvenile method of writing and just enjoy the story, which I feel was rather good. ( )
  Lexiant | Feb 23, 2014 |
It is definitely not a literary piece - not going to become a classic - but it sure is intriguing and the kind which could become a TV series. I can't hardly wait for the next book. ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
From Hesiod's poem to Nyx, the Greek personification of night:

"There also stands the gloomy house of Night; ghastly clouds shroud it in darkness.
Before it Atlas stands erect and on his head
and unwearying arms firmly supports the
broad sky,
where Night and Day cross a bronze threshold
and then come close and greet each other."

(Hesiod, Theogony, 744 ᶠᶠ∙)
For our wonderful agent, Meredith Bernstein, who said the three magic words: vampyre finishing school. We heart you!
Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.
I've found that the way a person feels about cats - and the way they feel about him or her in return - is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character.
Cats chose us; we don't own them.

Enter the dark, magical world of House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre and joins the House of Night, a school where she will train to become an adult vampyre. That is, if she makes it through the change-and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her new powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for that courage to embrace her destiny-with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed.

One minute, sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird is a normal teenager dealing with everyday high school stress: her cute boyfriend Heath, the school’s star quarterback who suddenly seems more interested in partying than playing ball; her nosy frenemy Kayla, who’s way too concerned with how things are going with Heath; her uber-tough geometry test tomorrow.  The next, she’s Marked as a fledgling vampyre, forcing her to leave her ordinary life behind and join the House of Night, a boarding school where she will train to become an adult vampyre.  That is, if she makes it through the Change—and not all of those who are Marked do.  It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling.  She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to Imprint with Heath, who just doesn’t know how to take “no” for an answer.  To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers: when she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampires have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampire Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampire friends.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible