The Andromeda Evolution by Michael Crichton

The Andromeda Evolution (edition 2019)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

"Fifty years after The Andromeda Strain made Michael Crichton a household name, the threat returns, in a gripping sequel that is as terrifyingly realistic and resonant as the original"--
Member:petrichor8
Title:The Andromeda Evolution
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Harper (2019), Edition: First Edition, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Andromeda Evolution by Michael Crichton (Author)

Decades after the Andromeda Strain wiped out Piedmont, Arizona, people have forgotten the danger. All but Eternal Vigilance, a military operation put in place to monitor for evidence Andromeda has returned. Now the remnants of a crashed ship in the Amazon have triggered alerts. Andromeda is back. A new Wildfire team is selected to investigate the reports.

Continuing in the vein of Crichton's classic, Daniel Wilson's The Andromeda Evolution introduces a whole new generation of readers to the deadly organism. This time it is out in the wild, not contained in a lab. This new team faces untold dangers not just from the organism itself, which is rapidly constructing something in the depths of the Amazonian rainforest, but from the jungle itself and the uncontacted tribes living within.

I enjoyed this story immensely! This Wildfire team is far more diverse, including an anthropologist, and a roboticist who has a small flock of 'canary' drones. At one point, to communicate with one of the natives they accidentally came in contact with, a canary drone is turned into a universal translator. Too cool. Another member is an astronaut on the ISS. There's definitely more action and diversity in this story. The ending was neat too, though it does stretch the imagination. Andromeda continues to evolve. It's here to stay. I hope there's sequel! I'd love to see further evolutions.

***Reviewed for the Tulsa Book Review ( )
  PardaMustang | Jan 21, 2020 |
Written in the inimitable style of Crichton himself. Excellent. ( )
  lynngood2 | Jan 7, 2020 |
I had my moments with this...not sure if I was going to keep reading...but I'm very glad I did! The author succeeded in pulling it all together and it really was nicely science-fiction-ey...I HOPE! Now I should go back and re-read The Andromeda Strain. ( )
  nyiper | Dec 14, 2019 |
It doesn't compare to the best Crichton, but probably matches his weaker books. At times, with its over-the-top enthusiasm, it reminded me of a Crichton/Scott Sigler hybrid. The first half focuses on the characters (and fails), and the second half focuses on an increasingly implausible plot (and fails). It gets pretty ridiculous. The jungle scenes seem to have been written by a New Yorker. Still, it is creative, not what I expected, and fun.

> I'm a specialist, but my robots aren't. I brought along a universal speech recognizer and extensive gesture-recognition libraries. What's more, the diagnostic speaker on the drone is now connected to a text-to-speech synthesizer

> The expanding structure had created a maze of wreckage that was nearly impenetrable. No matter where she wandered, the connection bars on her satellite phone stubbornly refused to budge ( )
  breic | Dec 12, 2019 |
It’s been more than fifty years since the Andromeda particle, an extraterrestrial microbe, threatened the human race with extinction. Project Wildfire valiantly strove to halt the epidemic, succeeding only moments before a catastrophic nuclear detonation.

Since that time, Project Eternal Vigilance, deep inside Fairchild Air Force Base, has kept watch for the reappearance of Andromeda while scientists continued their research on the microbe. Lulled by the apparent inactivity of the microbe, authorities have plans to shut down the Vigilance project.

And then, deep in the Brazilian jungle, a terrain-mapping drone finds an otherworldly construct . . . and the deadly microparticle.

A new Project Wildfire team, activated to investigate the threat, find that the microbe is growing . . . and evolving, threatening to annihilate all life on Earth.

With Michael Crichton’s original story, “The Andromeda Strain,” as its foundation, this gripping tale is sure to keep readers mesmerized. As with the original, the narrative resembles a Post Incident Analysis documenting the unfolding events as the team of experts works to contain the microbe. The technology shines, especially as it ties the International Space Station to the space elevator [which is a well-established construct in science fiction].

With its well-developed characters, the plot twists and turns keep the suspense building, as does the short timeline to either succeed or face annihilation. By turns, the narrative is tense, terrifying, and riveting. Overall, it’s dazzling, a worthy sequel to the original.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Nov 21, 2019 |

Crichton, MichaelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Albanese, LucyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seabrook, AlexisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Daniel H.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,625,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible