Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse…

Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business (original 1985; edition 2005)

by Neil Postman

Member:RavenousReaders
Title:Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
Authors:Neil Postman
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2005), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:pima county public library, pcpl, staff pick, power of television, social issues,

Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman (1985)

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (jstamp26)
    The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom by Yochai Benkler (chiudrele)
    chiudrele: Explains how today's world of internet is different from the old world of television. Society is not merely consuming information and culture, it can also participate in creation of it.

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
This book argues that television has brought profound differences to our culture. Not because of the entertainment as such, but because so much else has become 'made for television'. News in brief snippets, electioneering as showbiz, lots of pictures and fast-moving programmes which we have mostly forgotten by the end of the evening.

The book is dated - it's 23 years old now - and although it does make some excellent, thought-provoking points, I felt that he was perhaps too critical of modern technology, while insisting that the printing press, which also transformed culture, was a good move. Perhaps three and a half stars, since it's given me a lot to think about. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The author begins with a comparison of Orwellian Marshall law and Brave New World's apathetic utopia. He makes the argument that the apathetic utopia is becoming more of a reality as people are consumed by distraction, pleasure, and apathy. I always thought the Brave New World reality sounded pretty good, other than the fact that the the will to progress and overcome situational circumstance is taken away with test tube babies predestined for a life that lacks fundamental choices based on genetics. Postman points out that in 1984 reality, books are banned and information is restricted, but in BNW reality, books don't need to be banned because nobody wants to read them, leaving a society devolved into one that chooses its own ignorance and sheepishness. Choices are taken away, pharmaceuticals are dispersed and civilization is at its pinnacle of efficiency, harmony, and sustainability at the cost of our primitive nature, emotion, free will, and drive.

This book discusses how television is a steady stream of distraction that leads us further and further from fact and reality. News broadcasting showcases only attractive people who spew content intended for entertainment over truth. Ignorance and beauty are the superficial virtues people strive for and emotional reaction has taken the place of informed opinions. This book was published in 2005, so you can't help to notice that the status quo is becoming more extreme all the time. If nothing else, this book will open up a dialog for thought and discussion. ( )
  jasmataz | Sep 11, 2015 |
Although the world Postman writes about is a little dated, the book is still very thought provoking. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in media's effect (and especially television) on society. ( )
  ElOsoBlanco | Jul 15, 2013 |

It's amazing how well this book has stood the test of time. We are still amusing ourselves to death, though now we have a new medium, the Internet. Our world is even more fragmented, more information overload, but the Internet restores typography to an extent, in bite size chunks. I wonder what Postman would had thought of Twitter. ( )
  clmerle | Apr 2, 2013 |
Very prescient. Very scary. I've been saying all along that we live in a dystopian society in this country, and Postman's book gives me more proof. Fantastic read. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Apr 1, 2013 |
The dismal message of this landmark book is that, while we've kept our eye out for Orwell's world all along, we have smoothly moved into living in Huxley's. Through our own compliance, our implicit assent, and our endless desire to be entertained, we have allowed the television to behave as our soma and let happen unto us what, were it made an explicit part of the social contract, we would never have accepted. Orwell was a cartoon, while Huxley is our reality—and we don't even know it.

We were keeping our eye on 1984.
You may get a sense of what is meant by context-free information by asking yourself the following question: How often does it occur that information provided you on morning radio or television, or in the morning newspaper, causes you to alter your plans for the day, or to take some action you would not otherwise have taken, or provides insight into some problem you are required to solve?
Neil Postman’s groundbreaking polemic about the corrosive effects of television on our politics and public discourse has been hailed as a twenty-first-century book published in the twentieth century. Now, with television joined by more sophisticated electronic media—from the Internet to cell phones to DVDs—it has taken on even greater significance. Amusing Ourselves to Death is a prophetic look at what happens when politics, journalism, education, and even religion become subject to the demands of entertainment. It is also a blueprint for regaining control of our media, so that they can serve our highest goals.

A brilliant powerful and important book....This is a brutal indictment Postman has laid down and, so far as I can see, an irrefutable one. --Jonathan Yardley, Washington Post Book World.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:07 -0400)

Examines the effects of television on American society, arguing that media messages, which were generally coherent, serious, and rational when in print, have become shriveled and absurd due to the medium of television.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,226,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible