Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky

Anatomy of a Boyfriend

by Daria Snadowsky

I was blown away (in a good way) by the honesty in this book. It's a realistic account of a girl's first high school boyfriend, how that relationship progresses, and how it affects her family and friendships. The story follows Wes and Dom to different colleges and explores their long distance relationship. As I said, the honesty in this book really made it for me. I've never read a YA book that is so frank about masturbation, sexuality and the emotional entanglement of losing your virginity. My only issues dealt with the characters. Dom's character seemed to change drastically throughout the book. I suppose it's true to a real-life high school girl getting sucked into her boyfriend's world, but after being such a strong presence in the beginning, Dom fades into a stereotypical girl. Similarly, Wes started a decent-sounding, believable guy, but quickly turned into a sex-starved jerk - exactly the type of guy Dom hated in the beginning. I guess their personality shifts could possibly make sense, but I feel like they abruptly changed, and there was no evolution guiding us there. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Dom, falls in love with Wes during their senior year of high school. The two have sex on prom night, but grow apart when they attend colleges in different states, eventually splitting on Christmas break. This is a story that portrays graphic, premarital sex in all its awkward and painful glory. This is not a book for families who insist on abstinence. Or maybe it is. The realism could potentially discourage any sexual activity whatsoever. Even your own.
Librarians can add this book to any list including Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson because it portrays, certainly, a better first experience for a young woman. Other topics covered include positive use of social media, long-distance dating, masturbation, oral sex, intercourse, break-ups, virginity, college entrances, and orgasm. If that last sentence was too much for you, this is not your book.
As a mom, I would be pleased to have my teenaged girls read this book. (They never will, now that I have.) I think it portrays a healthy teenage relationship. Dom and Wes love each other. They have fairly long bouts of healthy communication. Their sex is safe and absolutely consensual. Dom has a remarkably good relationship with her parents: she tells them about her feelings. Most parents wish for that trust. Even though Anatomy of a Boyfriend doesn’t end in marriage, ultimately, Dom learns to please herself. And that was my wink to those of you who have read the book.
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
I’ve only been reading since 2008. I did read a few books before then but I never really enjoyed them. I actually hated reading. I thought it was a complete waste of time. The only thing I can remember reading and enjoying was Harry Potter. However, for some reason near the end of 2007 I just decided that in 2008 I would try to read 100 books. Why am I telling you this in a review? I am telling you this because Anatomy of a Boyfriend and I go way back to the beginning. My first real year of reading. It is a book that I remember looking at so many times in that first year. Every single time I went to the book store, I picked it up but for some reason I always put it back on the shelf and bought something else. I am so glad that I have finally read this book.

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy it. Anatomy of a Boyfriend was just an okay read. I read it within a few hours. I’m not sure what it was that made me not like it, but I didn’t. I didn’t hate it, but I am happy that I got it from the library instead of buying it.

However, it did interest me enough that I want to read book two, Anatomy of a Single Girl, at some point, but I’m not going to rush out and get it. I will get to it someday. Who knows, maybe I will enjoy it more than this one.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read Anatomy of a Boyfriend and do another review. Better reviews (hopefully) in the future. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jul 14, 2015 |
Sé que le puse una puntuación a esta novela hace años.

Pero no me acuerdo una miercoles de qué carajo se trataba.

??????????????? ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

In her last semester at a private school in Fort Myers, Florida, seventeen-year-old Dom finds her life transformed by her first boyfriend, Wes, a track star at the public school her best friend attends.

Daria Snadowsky is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible