Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky

Anatomy of a Boyfriend

by Daria Snadowsky

Dom, falls in love with Wes during their senior year of high school. The two have sex on prom night, but grow apart when they attend colleges in different states, eventually splitting on Christmas break. This is a story that portrays graphic, premarital sex in all its awkward and painful glory. This is not a book for families who insist on abstinence. Or maybe it is. The realism could potentially discourage any sexual activity whatsoever. Even your own.
Librarians can add this book to any list including Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson because it portrays, certainly, a better first experience for a young woman. Other topics covered include positive use of social media, long-distance dating, masturbation, oral sex, intercourse, break-ups, virginity, college entrances, and orgasm. If that last sentence was too much for you, this is not your book.
As a mom, I would be pleased to have my teenaged girls read this book. (They never will, now that I have.) I think it portrays a healthy teenage relationship. Dom and Wes love each other. They have fairly long bouts of healthy communication. Their sex is safe and absolutely consensual. Dom has a remarkably good relationship with her parents: she tells them about her feelings. Most parents wish for that trust. Even though Anatomy of a Boyfriend doesn’t end in marriage, ultimately, Dom learns to please herself. And that was my wink to those of you who have read the book.
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
I’ve only been reading since 2008. I did read a few books before then but I never really enjoyed them. I actually hated reading. I thought it was a complete waste of time. The only thing I can remember reading and enjoying was Harry Potter. However, for some reason near the end of 2007 I just decided that in 2008 I would try to read 100 books. Why am I telling you this in a review? I am telling you this because Anatomy of a Boyfriend and I go way back to the beginning. My first real year of reading. It is a book that I remember looking at so many times in that first year. Every single time I went to the book store, I picked it up but for some reason I always put it back on the shelf and bought something else. I am so glad that I have finally read this book.

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy it. Anatomy of a Boyfriend was just an okay read. I read it within a few hours. I’m not sure what it was that made me not like it, but I didn’t. I didn’t hate it, but I am happy that I got it from the library instead of buying it.

However, it did interest me enough that I want to read book two, Anatomy of a Single Girl, at some point, but I’m not going to rush out and get it. I will get to it someday. Who knows, maybe I will enjoy it more than this one.

Note: This is an older review. So I don’t feel like I can get more into what I liked and disliked about it. Maybe someday I will re-read Anatomy of a Boyfriend and do another review. Better reviews (hopefully) in the future. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jul 14, 2015 |
Sé que le puse una puntuación a esta novela hace años.

Pero no me acuerdo una miercoles de qué carajo se trataba.

??????????????? ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I hadn't really heard much about this book before I read it, so I definitely didn't have any preconceived notions about what it would be like. I didn't even read the reviews by others on here to see how they felt about the book, so there was no bias. And, when I started the book, the first fifty or so pages seemed okay-ish. It was certainly better than two stars at page 50 than it was at the end.

For a work of realistic fiction, it was very unreal. The characters didn't act or talk like teenagers. Even awkward teenagers don't act like this. Some of the scenes almost came off as clinical and robotic in nature. Actually, a lot of them don't seem like they would fit in any story for children, teens, or adults. They're just very boring and weird.

For a romance, it had a lack of romance. Wes and Dom love each other, but there's no rhyme or reason to why. I know that you could argue that that's true for all romances and for love in general, but this book is especially bad at telling the story of why this guy is even her boyfriend or her first love.

It has a very sex-negative vibe. Amy is almost always degraded for being open to different types of sexual activities. The relationship between Dom and Wes portrays sex as being something that is always painful and awkward for girls, where guys will have orgasms and girls will always have to fake it. I know a lot of women do have that sort of experience, but we don't really need to teach young women that it has to be like this. Sex is something where if you expect it to be painful and bloody and awkward, then you are more likely to have a painful experience. I'm not saying that the book needs to be smutty or anything like that, but give girls some hope that they aren't going to be injured in sex acts. It's also really disturbing that any time that Dom is looking forward to or thinking about sex that something bad happens to her or to Wes. That is another sex-negative vibe to have.

As for other things that really bugged me: Playing up the trope of a redheaded female character as sex-obsessed was really annoying. That may seem like a little thing, but since it's an actual recognized trope for works of fiction (and, worse, a stereotype of redheads in the real world), it really isn't all that little. There was also a bit of fat-shaming. You have a character (Dom) starting her first year of college, so there's the mentioning of the freshman fifteen, which might be okay. What isn't okay is that her mother starts telling her that she should order certain foods so that she can me more like her old self. When the character asks if it's about her weight going up, she finds out that it is. When she turns to her father for support he says (and does) the following:

He emerges from behind his menu. "I agree with your mom. Guys can be a little overweight," he says, pinching his gut with his hand, "but girls can't."

This is for her gaining enough weight so that her clothes just snug on her. In other words, she might have gone up one size and her parents are giving her a hard time. She's also just been injured when she was exercising. When it continues and she goes to leave the table her father does the following:

"Dom, you're blowing this way out of proportion," Dad reprimands. "We're staying put, and let's have a nice dinner, for Christ's sake."

She's basically been told that she isn't allowed to be offended by their comments. That's just wrong. If parents act like this, it is totally fine to get upset with them. This behavior is reprehensible. That she's eventually treated like she overreacted after their comments have (naturally) hurt her feelings is so disgusting. And she ends up feeling both ashamed of her body and of her feelings being hurt. That's not okay. And the way it is portrayed is not okay either.

And there's the somewhat minor character Calvin. He might become a friend or a future boyfriend for her. Who knows? But the way that he acted when they first met was a little on the creepy side. This is another thing that probably would be best left out of books meant for the young adult age group. This might teach young people to allow this sort of behavior in their interpersonal relationships, which is a bit twisted and potentially dangerous.

It isn't all bad, but the good parts of the book just aren't enough to overcome the bad parts. The plot is really flat. The development of characters is flat. There are some insightful paragraphs, but they are truly few and far between. And there's a quirkiness to certain parts that I enjoyed, but by the end of the book, they had disappeared. The humor, the fun, and everything good about the book was gone before the book ended. That's not good, so this book is getting two stars because it was not executed very well. ( )
  janersm | Oct 30, 2014 |

Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

In her last semester at a private school in Fort Myers, Florida, seventeen-year-old Dom finds her life transformed by her first boyfriend, Wes, a track star at the public school her best friend attends.

Daria Snadowsky is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible