A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by…

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Ishmael Beah

4,933276928 (4.01)1 / 233
Title:A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
Authors:Ishmael Beah
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 229 pages

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah (2007)

What Is the What by Dave Eggers (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both are about a refugee's survival. Egger's book is fiction based on fact.
    Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder (khuggard)
    They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan by Benjamin Ajak (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: This collection of essays provides a vision of war in Sudan from the perspective of three young boys.
    Ake: The Years of Childhood by Wole Soyinka (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Not a traumatic childhood such as Beah's, but an African childhood of a man, who like Beah has struggled to improve and has been at odds with his own country.
    Chasing the Devil: On Foot Through Africa's Killing Fields by Tim Butcher (section241)
    A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story by Linda Sue Park (RhondaHoward)
    War Child: A Child Soldier's Story by Emmanuel Jal (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography by Paul Rusesabagina (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Turmoil in another African country
    Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq by Chris Coppola (jlink)
    Allah is Not Obliged by Ahmadou Kourouma (meggyweg)
    The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: This is another story of a difficult African childhood, but it's much more uplifting throughout.
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Teenager in the Chad Civil War: A Memoir of Survival, 1982-1986 by Esaie Toingar (meggyweg)

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier is truly eye-opening. Following the life of Ishmael Beah, it tells the story of a young boy forced to run from war and eventually become apart of it, until UNICEF steps in. Children being made into soldiers is a very real problem in the world that I'm afraid many of us do not think about. A Long Way Gone sheds light on issues in other parts of the world and will no doubt inspire everyone who reads it. ( )
  EmilyRussell | Aug 2, 2016 |
This book is an easy read. Readers are able to follow along without getting distracted. This memoir tells the story of children that were forced into an unwanted war. This story tells true events of how a young man went through traumatic events and later used those emotions to advocate for what is rights of children at war.
  JasmineARice | Jul 28, 2016 |
A memoir of a young boy in Sierra Leone, Africa. This autobiography follows the story of his life from when he was a young boy, to losing everything, becoming a child solider, and finding life after war. Ishmael Beah is like any young boy he has hobbies, interests, and dreams. He also faces the struggles of living in a split home. Ishmael relies heavily on his brother especially after the raiding of his home village and losing his parents. This memoir tells the experiences and life changing events that Ishmael went through and how being in war altered his view on life and his own people. This is a gripping image of what war truly is like and the after effects it causes. I think this would be a great book for a high school classroom. Especially if the teacher would like to teach on the themes of war, effects of war, different cultural societies, or even the differences of kids/teenagers lives based on where they live. ( )
  kvc62 | Jul 26, 2016 |
A memoir of a young boy from Africa, soon has to realize what it is like when your country is at war. With dreams of winning a talent show being placed on hold, Ishmael has to become the last thing he ever wants to be-a killer. This memoir is filled with many tears and bumps along the way. Watch as a killing machine is now trying to help others.
  mjungles13 | Jul 26, 2016 |
A Long Way Gone is an okay book but not great. I believe this book was written too quickly and seemingly rushed. As a reader, I was eager to know some of what happened in his life once he came to the United States, instead he left his audience, in a sense, dangling. As I thought deeper about this book I questioned whether or not the scrutiny he was faced with from critics was true. For factors such as his drug addiction, questioned his word and whether everything he had written was true or was it hallucinated. This is why I recommend that people read this book for themselves so they can be the judge of if this is an actual good read or not. Despite the questioning of the real truth in A Long Way Gone. ( )
  Hkl46 | Jul 26, 2016 |
To the memories of Nya Nje, Nya Keke, Nya Ndig-ge isa, and Kaynya. Your spririts and presence within me give me strength to carry on,

to all the children of Sierra Leone who were robbed of their childhoods,

and to the memory of Walter (Wally) Scheuer for his generous and compassionate heart and for teaching me the etiquette of being a gentleman
My high school friends have begun to suspect I haven't told them the full story of my life.

Disturbing, but powerful book that deals with the horrible effects of violence and desperation. The author was lucky to be chosen to be "rehabilitated", but so many others were not. It actually seems like a miracle that he could be rehabilitated- his mentors showed incredible persistence in the face of extreme resistance. The memoir also demonstrates the power of the group to influence the behavior of the individual. It staggers the mind to try to grasp how much effort it would take to rehabilitate all the violent members of the world.

This is how wars are fought now: by children, hopped-up on drugs and wielding AK-47s. Children have become soldiers of choice. In the more than fifty conflicts going on worldwide, it is estimated that there are some 300,000 child soldiers. Ishmael Beah used to be one of them.

What is war like through the eyes of a child soldier? How does one become a killer? How does one stop? Child soldiers have been profiled by journalists, and novelists have struggled to imagine their lives. But until now, there has not been a first-person account from someone who came through this hell and survived.

In A Long Way Gone, Beah, now twenty-five years old, tells a riveting story: how at the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he'd been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts.
This is a rare and mesmerizing account, told with real literary force and heartbreaking honesty.

"My new friends have begun to suspect I haven't told them the full story of my life.
'Why did you leave Sierra Leone?'
'Because there is a war.'
'You mean, you saw people running around with guns and shooting each other?'
'Yes, all the time.'
I smile a little.
'You should tell us about it sometime.'
'Yes, sometime.'"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:22 -0400)

A human rights activist offers a firsthand account of war from the perspective of a former child soldier, detailing the violent civil war that wracked his native Sierra Leone and the government forces that transformed a gentle young boy into a killer as a member of the army.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,763,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible