A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

A Beautiful Blue Death (2007)

by Charles Finch

Series: Charles Lenox Mysteries (1)

Recently added byechoindarkness, nrmay, MaraBlaise, Gorthalon, private library, teckelvik, akelios

Six books in this series is available on kindle daily deal and I just bought the first book. My question is to those who have read the books, is this series good enough to buy more of them? I usually buy one book in a series to try them out first before I buy more but the price for these books today are quite cheap...

Update: I bought all six of them. I read a little in the beginning of the first book, liked it and thought what the heck!
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
I am happy I discovered this mystery series which has many elements I like: set in 1865 in London, the main character Charles Lenox is a gentleman sleuth, his best friend and possible love interest is Lady Jane, and all the details seem authentic to the time period. Lady Jane’s servant is murdered with poison and the tale begins. Many of the characters live in “grand houses”, have carriages and servants, and Lenox has a deep friendship with his butler. There is humor here mingled amidst ghastly murders; poor Lenox is noted for planning explorations of remote lands and having to cancel travel plans to solve crimes. He aims to head to Persia for rugged travel at the end of the book, and I wonder, will his travel plans be interrupted again by a dastardly crime? This is the first book in the series and I want to read the next one. ( )
  hangen | Nov 16, 2014 |
When Lady Jane Grey's former house maid turns up dead under suspicious circumstances she turns to her dear friend and amateur detective, Charles Lenox to solve the case. I enjoyed the characters in this book and the sharp British humor but the mystery fell a bit flat. When the big reveal came it just wasn't all that shocking or intriguing. Although this wasn't one of my favorite cozy mysteries I enjoyed this first book enough to continue the series. ( )
  68papyrus | Nov 11, 2014 |
Nice cozy mystery. First in the series, though like Fer-de-Lance it sounds like there have been many cases before. Terri's recommendation, I will look for more by this author. Not my favorite time period, but I was swayed by a detective that would prefer to sit in front of the fire with a book to dashing about. My kind of guy. ( )
  njcur | Nov 8, 2014 |
I am on a Victorian England kick it seems - and here is another book set in that time frame.

Charles Lenox is the English amateur detective and aristocrat called to the scene of the startling death of a young maid...perhaps a suicide, perhaps not. Charles and his butler, Graham, set about investigating this puzzling death - it looks like she drank arsenic - but Charles is not fooled..in the bottom of the glass he discovers something else, the remains of a much more deadly and rare poison. But, why would someone want to murder a maid?

Charles is helped in this investigation by by a cast of other characters - Lady Gray, his neighbor and confidante, a Scotland yard cop, an investigator and a one-time chemist.

It's been a while since I've read a straight up mystery. This took me a while to get involved in. There were many mentions to previous cases that I didn't really get, and an overall assumption that I understood all about footmen, and poor nephews and much of English class structure.

So, although I liked the characters and the mystery itself was rather intriguing. It moved a bit slowly for me. ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |

Charles Finchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurova, Irina GavrilovnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sohns, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
The fateful note came just as Lenox was settling into his armchair after a long, tiresome day in the city.

Charles Lenox, Victorian gentleman and armchair explorer, likes nothing more than to relax in his private study with a cup of tea, a roaring fire and a good book. But when his lifelong friend Lady Jane asks for his help, Lenox cannot resist the chance to unravel a mystery.

Prudence Smith, one of Jane’s former servants, is dead of an apparent suicide. But Lenox suspects something far more sinister: murder, by a rare and deadly poison. The grand house where the girl worked is full of suspects, and though Prue had dabbled with the hearts of more than a few men, Lenox is baffled by the motive for the girl’s death.

When another body turns up during the London season’s most fashionable ball, Lenox must untangle a web of loyalties and animosities. Was it jealousy that killed Prudence Smith? Or was it something else entirely? And can Lenox find the answer before the killer strikes again—this time, disturbingly close to home?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:13 -0400)

When his lifelong friend Lady Jane asks for his help in solving the apparent suicide of one of Jane's former servants,Victorian gentleman and armchair explorer Charles Lenox is on the case. When another body turns up during the London season's most fashionable ball, Lenox must untangle a web of loyalties and animosities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible