A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

A Beautiful Blue Death (2007)

by Charles Finch

Series: Charles Lenox Mysteries (1)

For some reason this book didn't grab me the way I expected. It could mean that my first and only reading slump isn't over or that this was simply a miss for me (which is strange because I like this genre). Whatever the reason, I found the characters' conversations annoying and some of ordinary things the protagonist does are way too detailed (having tea, breakfast and such).
Still, take this with a grain of salt. For now it was simply an okay story. I might return to this book when I am in better mood for it. This doesn't mean I'll give up on the series though. ( )
  Irena. | Sep 24, 2015 |
Trying very hard to be Sherlock Holmes, and failing. Somewhat interesting, but no real depth. Just a quick read. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
This debut mystery by Charles Finch has a charming, if foppish detective, and an interesting setting among the upper class in 1865 Britain. I think it plays fair with the reader in terms of the puzzle, although the solution is a trifle far-fetched. The book also has a bit of light comedy in it. The only real weakness is how the author treats Lady Jane Grey, who seems more like a collection of attributes than a real person.

Nonetheless, I recommend this book to aficionados of British mystery, as it is in some ways a gloss on Sherlock Holmes. ( )
  barlow304 | Jul 18, 2015 |
Debut novel featuring Charles Lenox, a wealthy, kindly, and intelligent bachelor who is an amateur investigator in Victorian England. Jane Grey, his young widowed neighbor and childhood friend, asks him to learn the truth of Prudence Smith's death. He investigates with help of family and friends, especially from his butler / valet Graham.

A comfortable who-done-it with very likeable characters. ( )
  Bookish59 | May 6, 2015 |
A young servant is poisoned with a terribly expensive and unusual poison: bella indigo, the beautiful blue. Charles Lenox, a minor gentleman and amateur sleuth is on the case- a case that will bring him to some of the worst neighborhoods and the most opulent social events in London. Lenox's relationship with the police is not always the best, but with a brother in Parliament, Lenox has good connections.

I really enjoyed this book. The mystery is more complicated than many I have read in this genre. Finch's writing is quite good. There are a number of English gentleman detectives. Charles Lenox is a worthy inheritor of the traditions of Albert Campion and Lord Peter Wimsey. ( )
  lahochstetler | Apr 6, 2015 |

Charles Finchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurova, Irina GavrilovnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sohns, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
The fateful note came just as Lenox was settling into his armchair after a long, tiresome day in the city.

Charles Lenox, Victorian gentleman and armchair explorer, likes nothing more than to relax in his private study with a cup of tea, a roaring fire and a good book. But when his lifelong friend Lady Jane asks for his help, Lenox cannot resist the chance to unravel a mystery.

Prudence Smith, one of Jane’s former servants, is dead of an apparent suicide. But Lenox suspects something far more sinister: murder, by a rare and deadly poison. The grand house where the girl worked is full of suspects, and though Prue had dabbled with the hearts of more than a few men, Lenox is baffled by the motive for the girl’s death.

When another body turns up during the London season’s most fashionable ball, Lenox must untangle a web of loyalties and animosities. Was it jealousy that killed Prudence Smith? Or was it something else entirely? And can Lenox find the answer before the killer strikes again—this time, disturbingly close to home?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

When his lifelong friend Lady Jane asks for his help in solving the apparent suicide of one of Jane's former servants,Victorian gentleman and armchair explorer Charles Lenox is on the case. When another body turns up during the London season's most fashionable ball, Lenox must untangle a web of loyalties and animosities.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,713,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible