Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Stanley Lambchop is an ordinary boy, until one day a bulletin board falls on him and flattens him in his sleep. Trying to make the best of his new dimensions, Stanley has fun slipping under locked doors, mailing himself to his friends, and even catches an art thief by pretending to be a painting. After his brother expresses his jealousy over Stanley's newfound stardom, Stanley decides that he wants things to go back to the way things were before and blows himself back to normal using a bike pump.
Throughout the story, Stanley learns that as cool as his new sudo-super power is, his families happiness is the most important thing to him.
This book is a fun way to get kids minds racing with creative thoughts. Many classrooms across the United States use the Flat Stanley stories in lessons.
The author teaches its reader to make the best of any situation, that everyone is capable of great things, even if the world views them as handicapped in some way. Make the most of every situation and focus on the bright side of every situation and good things will come. ( )
  NicoleGruber | Nov 3, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked this book because it could be seen as an easy transitional chapter book for young kids. The story itself was kind of comical because children should know that if a bulletin board fell on you at night there is no way that it can cause you to become flat. Sometimes that could be an issue because it can cause children to have an irrational fear of it, but in many cases children should be able to know that what happened to Stanley could not happen to them. This kind of cause the characters in the book to not be so relate able because the whole book was based on a fictional character. The characters were not believable so I didn't like it as much because I didn't feel that I could possibly connect to Stanley. I did like however that the author explained how Stanley made the best of being flat and that he learned to live with being flat all on his own, I thought that this could kind of push readers into thinking about how it might be for someone who has a physical or mental a disability. I also thought that since this book was aimed at younger readers they would be that advanced to think of something like that. Another thing that I thought was unnecessary would be the pictures in the book. The pictures are not very detailed and showed no sense of color or vibrancy. To me the pictures were boring and didn't really help me with the story. I actually thought it would have been more clever of the author to not have any pictures and have the readers come up with their own Stanley. I don't think that there really was a big idea of the book but you could use this book to teach children about the term flat and maybe incorporate different art projects with Stanley.
  MackenzieVenezia | Oct 31, 2016 |
Stanley Lambchop is an ordinary boy who quickly realizes that a flat boy can do almost anything. Everything was normal, until one night his bulletin board fell off the wall and flattened him completely. All of a sudden, Stanley can slide under doors, mail himself across the country in an envelope, and fly like a kite! But flatness has its serious side, too. Sneak thieves have been stealing paintings from the Famous Museum of Art, and Stanley knows he's the only one who can stop them.
  mbrandel | May 3, 2016 |
I love Flat Stanley! This a fun and silly book for children to read and to boost their imagination. I enjoyed the story line and illustrations that go along with it. The brother, Stanley, get's smushed flat like a pancake and is then able to be shipped to friends and relatives across the globe because he is so thin. Stanley then gets to explore and create these adventures. The illustrations do a fabulous job depicting the silly story line. The main point of this book is to take adventures and have fun because you will be able to make memories that you won't forget.
  amyadams19 | May 3, 2016 |
At over 50 years old, "Flat Stanley" is a story and character that has truly stood the test of time. The story begins with the Lambchop family waking up to some shocking news, Stanley has been crushed by a bulletin board! The family is in distress until they uncover something extraordinary, Stanley is perfectly fine - except for being half an inch thick. Now flat, Stanley is able to do many unbelievable things like travel via mail cross country, be flown as a kite, and catch thieves in the act while posing as a painting. In the end, though, people start making fun of Stanley for looking different, so his brother blows him back up with a bicycle pump. As a fantasy, "Flat Stanley" is a very strong example, because there's no explicit "magic" necessarily happening, he's just a regular boy who was impossible misshapen. Setting the story in an otherwise plausible world, students could connect to the emotions Stanley experiences, especially at the end when he is bullied. This book would be an excellent way to begin a discussion with your class - or school - about differences and bullying, but it would also be a fun way to talk about what unique qualities we all have that make us unique.
Media: ink/pencil ( )
  ShelbyEllis | Apr 15, 2016 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ungerer, TomiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he is sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,741,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible