Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

3,119651,808 (3.81)25
Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Flat Stanley is a classic children’s chapter book about a boy named Stanley who gets into a little accident and flattens his body out, now he is a kite entertaining all kinds of people in the city.
  brittanysmith | Apr 27, 2017 |
I remember reading this book in elementary school. It was a great book for a travel project. ( )
  ChelseaLorain | Apr 12, 2017 |
Stanley is a very optimistic character who goes with the flow. When he is accidentally flattened, he is amazed at his flatness but not horrified. He finds creative ways to make the best of his new physical state. He cheaply travels to visit a friend, cheers his brother up by becoming a kite, and helps stop a robbery. Rather than being upset and trying to change himself, he accepts his flatnesses and does creative, wonderful things with it. He approaches his situation positively and makes it work. ( )
  AlexSweeney | Mar 30, 2017 |
The story "Flat Stanley" is about a boy who was crushed by a bulletin board and becomes flat. At first, Stanley isn't sure what to think, until he realizes the advantages of his new and unique super power. From getting wedding rings in storm drains to being flown like a kite, Stanley realizes that his new super power is actually pretty cool. As Stanley starts school, he finally starts to notice how he is different from the other students and how his super power might not be such a great thing. Fortunately for Stanley, his unique body becomes a special gift that people need and appreciate. The central message of the story is that even if you're different and confused about your image, you are still important and wanted by others. It may be difficult to look at our differences, but when we can view our strengths is when we are at our best. ( )
  BrianRatliff | Mar 2, 2017 |
Flat Stanley is a staple book in the elementary classroom, being the focus of many class read alouds and letter writing projects. Since my second grader was reading it at school, we decided to include the book as part of our nightly reading sessions at home. In the story, Flat Stanley is a young kid who becomes flat after the poster board beside his bed falls on him during the night. No worries, though, Stanley is still in perfect health, he's just flat as a board. The book proceeds to details the adventures that a flat boy can encounter, from flying as a kite to posing as a work of fine art and capturing art thieves. The story is quite unbelievable, but Stanley's antics were manic enough to delight my daughters. I read in the author's synopsis that the story originated as a night time adventure made up for the author's children, and knowing its origin helped me understand some of the book's outrageous nature. Bedtime stories are frequently wild and unimaginable. Personally, I found Flat Stanley to be more than a little ridiculous and old-fashioned, but certainly creative, and my children unreservedly enjoyed it. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 25, 2016 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ungerer, TomiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he is sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,865,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible