Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Flat Stanley is a staple book in the elementary classroom, being the focus of many class read alouds and letter writing projects. Since my second grader was reading it at school, we decided to include the book as part of our nightly reading sessions at home. In the story, Flat Stanley is a young kid who becomes flat after the poster board beside his bed falls on him during the night. No worries, though, Stanley is still in perfect health, he's just flat as a board. The book proceeds to details the adventures that a flat boy can encounter, from flying as a kite to posing as a work of fine art and capturing art thieves. The story is quite unbelievable, but Stanley's antics were manic enough to delight my daughters. I read in the author's synopsis that the story originated as a night time adventure made up for the author's children, and knowing its origin helped me understand some of the book's outrageous nature. Bedtime stories are frequently wild and unimaginable. Personally, I found Flat Stanley to be more than a little ridiculous and old-fashioned, but certainly creative, and my children unreservedly enjoyed it. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 25, 2016 |
My students love the Flat Stanley series. We just started reading the series as a part of our social studies curriculum on maps and globes. Stanley is just a regular boy until a bulletin board falls on top of him in the night and flattens him completely! His parents are horrified but realize that it is actually quite convenient to have a flat son, as he can travel the world without having to buy a boarding pass. ( )
  Kelleighk1 | Dec 14, 2016 |
Stanley Lambchop is an ordinary boy, until one day a bulletin board falls on him and flattens him in his sleep. Trying to make the best of his new dimensions, Stanley has fun slipping under locked doors, mailing himself to his friends, and even catches an art thief by pretending to be a painting. After his brother expresses his jealousy over Stanley's newfound stardom, Stanley decides that he wants things to go back to the way things were before and blows himself back to normal using a bike pump.
Throughout the story, Stanley learns that as cool as his new sudo-super power is, his families happiness is the most important thing to him.
This book is a fun way to get kids minds racing with creative thoughts. Many classrooms across the United States use the Flat Stanley stories in lessons.
The author teaches its reader to make the best of any situation, that everyone is capable of great things, even if the world views them as handicapped in some way. Make the most of every situation and focus on the bright side of every situation and good things will come. ( )
  NicoleGruber | Nov 3, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked this book because it could be seen as an easy transitional chapter book for young kids. The story itself was kind of comical because children should know that if a bulletin board fell on you at night there is no way that it can cause you to become flat. Sometimes that could be an issue because it can cause children to have an irrational fear of it, but in many cases children should be able to know that what happened to Stanley could not happen to them. This kind of cause the characters in the book to not be so relate able because the whole book was based on a fictional character. The characters were not believable so I didn't like it as much because I didn't feel that I could possibly connect to Stanley. I did like however that the author explained how Stanley made the best of being flat and that he learned to live with being flat all on his own, I thought that this could kind of push readers into thinking about how it might be for someone who has a physical or mental a disability. I also thought that since this book was aimed at younger readers they would be that advanced to think of something like that. Another thing that I thought was unnecessary would be the pictures in the book. The pictures are not very detailed and showed no sense of color or vibrancy. To me the pictures were boring and didn't really help me with the story. I actually thought it would have been more clever of the author to not have any pictures and have the readers come up with their own Stanley. I don't think that there really was a big idea of the book but you could use this book to teach children about the term flat and maybe incorporate different art projects with Stanley.
  MackenzieVenezia | Oct 31, 2016 |
Stanley Lambchop is an ordinary boy who quickly realizes that a flat boy can do almost anything. Everything was normal, until one night his bulletin board fell off the wall and flattened him completely. All of a sudden, Stanley can slide under doors, mail himself across the country in an envelope, and fly like a kite! But flatness has its serious side, too. Sneak thieves have been stealing paintings from the Famous Museum of Art, and Stanley knows he's the only one who can stop them.
  mbrandel | May 3, 2016 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ungerer, TomiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he is sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,475,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible