Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Stanley Lambchop wakes up as flat as pancake when a bulletin board falls on him during the night. Instead of complaining about it, Stanley makes the most of his condition. He is in for the time of his life. Pick up this book today and join Stanley on his adventures. ( )
  Pam2014 | Oct 20, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 28, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 27, 2014 |
One of my fourth grade teachers informed me about "Flat Stanley". She used it because of the Flat Stanley project. It's a penpal program in which classroom teachers can register and locate other classrooms around the world and write to them. The students make their own Flat Stanleys, write letters about their school and town, and send them off to the other school. I had my students send their Flat Stanley to congress people, the Governor of the State of Washington, and professional sports teams. We had many different letters come back with pictures of Flat Stanley with the person or on the field with the Seattle Seahawks. The funniest letter was when the Governor of Washington wrote that she hoped we would be able to visit the state of Washington someday. My students laughed because Pasco IS in the state of Washington!
The book is a quick an easy read in that it contains only a couple of pages per chapter and it has a limited number of chapters. It is also vastly entertaining. Stanley Lambchop wakes one morning and the bulletin board above his bed has fallen on him and has made him flat. His parents take him to the doctor and the doctor says he might come out of it, but the flatness might be irreversible. Because of his flatness, Stanley has the advantage of going on numerous exciting and fun adventures. His parents want to send him to visit his grandparent, but can’t afford a plane or train ticket, so, they decide to mail him through the post office. The put him in an envelope and send him. This chapter is where the whole Flat Stanley project evolved from. Flat Stanley is also a detective in that he is involved in catching some sneak thieves when he dresses up as a piece of artwork.
There are many more books in the series about Flat Stanley that are sure to entertain your beginning readers. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot! I think it is different than the typical story plots that are found on the shelves today. When I was growing up I visited Colonial Williamsburg a lot with my family. One day a lady asked my sisters and I to take a picture with a Flat Stanley from her classroom. The lady told us all about Flat Stanley and reading this book brought back all of those memories. I like the book for two reasons. First, I like the book because of how it is written. I think the text has a great pace to it and there is not too much text included on each page. For every page of text there is an illustration page provided. The second reason I liked this book is because of the central purpose of the book. I think the central purpose of the book is to embrace your differences and use them for good. For example, when Stanley becomes flat he does not just sit around a pout that he is flat. Instead he finds ways in which he can help. Stanley’s mother drops her ring and Stanley is able to slide into the crate and retrieve the ring. Therefore, I think the central message of the story is to embrace differences. ( )
  awalls4 | May 11, 2014 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he's sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,150,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible