Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

I absolutely love Flat Stanley. This book lends itself to lessons beyond lesson in writing or in history or in geography (depending on which book you read). I remember being in elementary school and writing a letter to my cousin and sending my Flat Stanley to visit her. I practiced my writing skills, I learned how to address a letter, and I got to read her letter and see her pictures when they came back. My cousin said they went to Canada, so my class and I researched the places in Canada that Stanley got to visit.

The books are very short and easy to read. Students who like the idea of reading letters in a book because the style of written is different, these would be the books fort them. The vocabulary is very easy to understand because the little boy is writing some of the letters. The language he uses is going to be the same language that the reader uses.

The books have a lot of excitement because it is interesting to see where Stanley gets to travel and the memories he comes back with. As stated above, where he travels to can become part of a lesson. He may travel to a different country and celebrate a holiday or another state and be in a bathing suit all day.

Flat Stanley books take on a different point a view on each page. The letter may be from the boy, from a friend, from a family member in another state so the view is always changing which can interest the child. If a Flat Stanley is sent out, students can relate even more to the books and the boys’ excitement when he gets mail.

The pictures in the book break up the text for the students and allow a little brain break while reading. I still like to see a picture in a chapter book when I am reading. This can help for clarification or for a mini break in the reading.
  jbarro3 | Feb 16, 2015 |
Stanley Lambchop wakes up as flat as pancake when a bulletin board falls on him during the night. Instead of complaining about it, Stanley makes the most of his condition. He is in for the time of his life. Pick up this book today and join Stanley on his adventures. ( )
  Pam2014 | Oct 20, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 28, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 27, 2014 |
One of my fourth grade teachers informed me about "Flat Stanley". She used it because of the Flat Stanley project. It's a penpal program in which classroom teachers can register and locate other classrooms around the world and write to them. The students make their own Flat Stanleys, write letters about their school and town, and send them off to the other school. I had my students send their Flat Stanley to congress people, the Governor of the State of Washington, and professional sports teams. We had many different letters come back with pictures of Flat Stanley with the person or on the field with the Seattle Seahawks. The funniest letter was when the Governor of Washington wrote that she hoped we would be able to visit the state of Washington someday. My students laughed because Pasco IS in the state of Washington!
The book is a quick an easy read in that it contains only a couple of pages per chapter and it has a limited number of chapters. It is also vastly entertaining. Stanley Lambchop wakes one morning and the bulletin board above his bed has fallen on him and has made him flat. His parents take him to the doctor and the doctor says he might come out of it, but the flatness might be irreversible. Because of his flatness, Stanley has the advantage of going on numerous exciting and fun adventures. His parents want to send him to visit his grandparent, but can’t afford a plane or train ticket, so, they decide to mail him through the post office. The put him in an envelope and send him. This chapter is where the whole Flat Stanley project evolved from. Flat Stanley is also a detective in that he is involved in catching some sneak thieves when he dresses up as a piece of artwork.
There are many more books in the series about Flat Stanley that are sure to entertain your beginning readers. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he's sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,749,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible