Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

2,273None2,803 (3.79)19
Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

4.0 (17) 9780439588638 (9) adventure (64) AR (9) AR 4.0 (13) brothers (11) chapter (14) chapter book (113) children (34) children's (57) children's fiction (11) children's literature (9) family (35) fantasy (72) fiction (118) flat (10) Flat Stanley (106) funny (10) geography (20) humor (48) juvenile (17) juvenile fiction (11) Level M (25) M (28) paperback (9) picture book (20) read (15) series (47) Stanley (9) travel (29)

I think that this book is a great chapter book for young readers. I liked the book for two reasons, one being the plot of the story. His family discovers that Stanley has become flat in the very beginning of the story. The book takes children on Stanley’s many engaging adventures throughout the middle of the book, such as being mailed to his friend all the way in California! At the end of the story after all of his adventures, Stanley realizes that although he tried to be flat, he likes who he really is, and with his brothers help becomes round again. I think that the books plot can be used while teaching as well because I can remember my younger siblings bringing home a Flat Stanley and mailing him off to different states as pan pals. The second thing I liked about the book was how although it was a chapter book, it still had illustrations on many of the pages. The illustrations show Stanley as flat and could be funny for children when they see what it looks like to be like that and mailed in an envelope. I think that the big idea of the story is that although it may be fun to be someone else for a few days, it is always important to love who you are and your personal qualities. ( )
  ckelly16 | Mar 30, 2014 |
In my opinion “Flat Stanley” by Jeff Brown is a fun book to read with students. The animated illustrations match the text well and are engaging to students. For example, the students are able to visualize what a “flat” person would like when the bulletin board falls on top of Stanley in the middle of the night; the pictures reinforce their visualizations. Along with the illustrations, the plot is organized stating a clear beginning, middle, and end, which is easy for students to follow. The book shows Stanley become flat in the beginning, travel and do activities while he is flat, and back to normal again! Not only does this book have a clear plot, but it offers teachers fun activities to do in the classroom. The main message of this book is to have pride for who you are and respect for the people around you. ( )
  rschin1 | Mar 13, 2014 |
"When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling.

Amazing things begin happening to him. Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he's a hero!" - Amazon
  kristynzonsius | Dec 3, 2013 |
I can see how kids might like it, but it doesn't appeal to me as an adult. 2 1/2 stars. ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: My son read this as his reader while I was away on vacation and I promised I would read it too. I have read it before a few other times in the past.

Stanley's original adventure never ceases to amuse me and any child I have read it to for the first time has always found a lot of fun within these pages. Yes, we can tell that the story is taking place in some that took place much earlier than our "here and now" and while contemporary when written it now adds a sense of vintage charm to the story. When things were simpler, when people were politer and when they sorted out their grievances right quick even if it did involve a push and a shove. The old-fashionedness didn't bother my son at all and I found it rather quaint. Stanley has fun adventures being flat; his brother Arthur is jealous at first but in the end Stanley just wants to be his regular self. A fun story that started "The Flat Stanley Project". The illustrations in this book are nice but they are not the originals which I will always prefer. Fun book for early chapterbook readers with several more in this series plus a couple of spin-off series. ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 11, 2013 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he's sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible