Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

In my opinion, this is a good book. I thought this was a good book for multiple reasons. First, I like the illustrations in this book. There is an illustration on every other page that adds detail to the text. For example, on one page there is an illustration on Stanley hanging down a drain from a piece of string with his mom holding it. On the next page, the text says, “She lowered him between the bars and moved him carefully up and down and from side to side”. I can picture this happening in my head from the details in the text and illustration. Second, I like the plot of the story. In the beginning Stanley becomes flat get made fun of but then he realizes all the cool things that he can now do that no one else can. Lastly, I like how there is a message in this story. As it says in the book, “People should think twice before making rude remarks, and then not make them at all.” ( )
  LaurenVormack | Jul 12, 2015 |
This is a modern fantasy book about a boy named Stanley who has a board fall on him during the night and when he wakes up he is flat! This book follows him around as he adjusts to being flat. he is used as a kite, mailed to his friends house in an envelope, and catches a painting theif! ( )
  kfrost32 | Mar 19, 2015 |
I absolutely love Flat Stanley. This book lends itself to lessons beyond lesson in writing or in history or in geography (depending on which book you read). I remember being in elementary school and writing a letter to my cousin and sending my Flat Stanley to visit her. I practiced my writing skills, I learned how to address a letter, and I got to read her letter and see her pictures when they came back. My cousin said they went to Canada, so my class and I researched the places in Canada that Stanley got to visit.

The books are very short and easy to read. Students who like the idea of reading letters in a book because the style of written is different, these would be the books fort them. The vocabulary is very easy to understand because the little boy is writing some of the letters. The language he uses is going to be the same language that the reader uses.

The books have a lot of excitement because it is interesting to see where Stanley gets to travel and the memories he comes back with. As stated above, where he travels to can become part of a lesson. He may travel to a different country and celebrate a holiday or another state and be in a bathing suit all day.

Flat Stanley books take on a different point a view on each page. The letter may be from the boy, from a friend, from a family member in another state so the view is always changing which can interest the child. If a Flat Stanley is sent out, students can relate even more to the books and the boys’ excitement when he gets mail.

The pictures in the book break up the text for the students and allow a little brain break while reading. I still like to see a picture in a chapter book when I am reading. This can help for clarification or for a mini break in the reading.
  jbarro3 | Feb 16, 2015 |
Stanley Lambchop wakes up as flat as pancake when a bulletin board falls on him during the night. Instead of complaining about it, Stanley makes the most of his condition. He is in for the time of his life. Pick up this book today and join Stanley on his adventures. ( )
  Pam2014 | Oct 20, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 28, 2014 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he's sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,516,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible