Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

"I liked him getting flat" ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
After children read this book, I see them all wanting to use this idea. I think the teacher reading the book might have to give a little more insight on what to do, but after that, the children could even do it as a class. The book could be read as an introduction to the activity. ( )
  glguerra | Oct 14, 2015 |
Flat Stanley is a factional book about a boy who wakes up flat one morning. The original adventure is explaining how Stanley got to this state, what he does about it and the advantages and disadvantages of being flat.
This story is taking an extreme difference and showing that people can still go about life in the same manner even when they have differences.
My first reaction to this book was this looks adorable and than I read it and for some reason it really bothered me that he was flat. Once that thought came into my mind it made me sad to think that I felt this way because he was different. As a future teacher we encourage others to be different. I guess I just need to work on it.
In my opinion, this book is displaying a message that people can be different, but still do good. Others may say mean things and put you down, but what you do with the negative shows the persons you truly are.
The illustrator uses bright and happy colors to display how Stanley is feeling about his life and uses dark and dull colors when he is sad.
This could be used in the classroom with students because is shows that being different is cool and their is nothing wrong with that. ( )
  manderson20 | Sep 23, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. Flat Stanley was well written, engaging, and had an amusing plot line. This book follows the story of how a boy becomes flattened during the night and his ensuing adventures due to his odd shape. The book does a nice job of entertaining the reader with fantastical scenarios that are the perfect mix of silly and interesting; such as, when Flat Stanley is commissioned to catch a team of museum robbers by hiding himself in a nearby painting.

The illustrations that accompany this text also significantly add to its charm. They are vibrant and colorful and do a wonderful job of enhancing the specific plot developments. Readers of all ages would be able to enjoy this book. ( )
  rlove2 | Sep 7, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a good book. I thought this was a good book for multiple reasons. First, I like the illustrations in this book. There is an illustration on every other page that adds detail to the text. For example, on one page there is an illustration on Stanley hanging down a drain from a piece of string with his mom holding it. On the next page, the text says, “She lowered him between the bars and moved him carefully up and down and from side to side”. I can picture this happening in my head from the details in the text and illustration. Second, I like the plot of the story. In the beginning Stanley becomes flat get made fun of but then he realizes all the cool things that he can now do that no one else can. Lastly, I like how there is a message in this story. As it says in the book, “People should think twice before making rude remarks, and then not make them at all.” ( )
  LaurenVormack | Jul 12, 2015 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.
After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he is sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible