Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Recently added bymarybearce, Katy11, eliking, learningspring, maloneyee, mrs_pierce, private library, LoriY, BGCWoburn

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him. Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he's a hero. This is the very first Flat Stanley adventure, updated with crisp new art. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot! I think it is different than the typical story plots that are found on the shelves today. When I was growing up I visited Colonial Williamsburg a lot with my family. One day a lady asked my sisters and I to take a picture with a Flat Stanley from her classroom. The lady told us all about Flat Stanley and reading this book brought back all of those memories. I like the book for two reasons. First, I like the book because of how it is written. I think the text has a great pace to it and there is not too much text included on each page. For every page of text there is an illustration page provided. The second reason I liked this book is because of the central purpose of the book. I think the central purpose of the book is to embrace your differences and use them for good. For example, when Stanley becomes flat he does not just sit around a pout that he is flat. Instead he finds ways in which he can help. Stanley’s mother drops her ring and Stanley is able to slide into the crate and retrieve the ring. Therefore, I think the central message of the story is to embrace differences. ( )
  awalls4 | May 11, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. This was such a great idea for a story, because not only is it exciting and fun for children to read, but it also has more serious themes about self-acceptance and family. Because this book is fantasy, readers are automatically drawn in by the crazy idea of Stanley becoming “flat” from his bulletin board falling on him. As Stanley embarks on all of his adventures, readers imagine themselves what it would be like to be sent away in a mailing envelope and go explore California, or be a secret night guard in a picture frame at an art gallery. This helps to show readers that even though Stanley is different, his unique qualities give him the ability to have experiences like never before. The only issue that I have with the book is that in the end, Stanley becomes normal again, which does not exactly reinforce the idea of becoming comfortable with who you are. However, it does show that his family will do anything to help him feel better again. The main purpose of this story was to show the adventures of a boy who became flat. ( )
  Sulick1 | May 11, 2014 |
This is a cute book! I learned about Flat Stanley in math class and had to know more. This book tells you about a little boy who was flattened by a bulletin board! He then realizes all the potential he now has in fitting into all the hard to fit in places, like envelopes! He can do a lot of good, even catch the bad guys! I love this book because it is an open door for a great activity! Children can create their own Stanleys and mail him to different places! I love it! It is so cute! ( )
  CMJohnson | Apr 29, 2014 |
I think that this book is a great chapter book for young readers. I liked the book for two reasons, one being the plot of the story. His family discovers that Stanley has become flat in the very beginning of the story. The book takes children on Stanley’s many engaging adventures throughout the middle of the book, such as being mailed to his friend all the way in California! At the end of the story after all of his adventures, Stanley realizes that although he tried to be flat, he likes who he really is, and with his brothers help becomes round again. I think that the books plot can be used while teaching as well because I can remember my younger siblings bringing home a Flat Stanley and mailing him off to different states as pan pals. The second thing I liked about the book was how although it was a chapter book, it still had illustrations on many of the pages. The illustrations show Stanley as flat and could be funny for children when they see what it looks like to be like that and mailed in an envelope. I think that the big idea of the story is that although it may be fun to be someone else for a few days, it is always important to love who you are and your personal qualities. ( )
  ckelly16 | Mar 30, 2014 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he's sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible