Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:Scholastic (2009), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Recently added bybairdnm, patty_hayes, Bradley08, TildenSchoolLibrary, ICES, rwild13, private library, GanneC, cahill101

This book is a wonderful fantasy story not only to entertain children but to teach them about the benefits of being different. When reading it to students, you would have to talk about the ending when Stanley is blown up back to his normal size, and how he is tired of being different. You would have to talk to kids about how some people can't change the way they are like Stanley could, but that doesn't mean we make fun of them and are mean to them.
  rwild13 | Jan 31, 2016 |
.I love this classic story by Jeff Brown. I remember really enjoying the adventures of flat Stanley when I was a little kid, especially the art and stories. Flat Stanley is a great story about a child who was flattened by a bulletin board and is now able to go on all sorts of weird adventures due to his new found flat physique. One aspect of the writing style that I really enjoy is that the narrative plays out like a movie scene. I am able to visualize everything that happens in the story even without looking at the pictures. I also really love that Jeff Brown bolds his paralleled writing. For example, he bolded the words “Being flat could be fun,” and “Being flat could be exciting.” His writing is extremely expressive and by adding bolded sentences, different fonts and onomatopoeias, he made the writing all the more engaging. Finally, I love the bright colors and clear, detailed drawings of the art in the story. It really supports the feel of the story and helps the reader visualize what is going on in the story. I was really reminded of why I loved this book so much as a child. ( )
  EmilyXia | Dec 2, 2015 |
Stanely was a normal boy just like every body else, until the night a bulletin board fell on him while he was sleeping. It may not have hurt but it made him as flat "as a pancake". Although it was a bit of an adjustment at first, Stanely soon found ways to have fun with being flat, and even ways to be helpful - such as retrieving his mothers lost ring and helping the art museum catch some thieves. After a while though, Stanely becomes unhappy when people begin to point and laugh; he wishes he could go back to the way he was. That's when his younger brother, Arthur, has the brilliant idea to blow him back up with the bicycle pump. The plan is successful and Stanely is restored to his normal shape. I enjoy this story for the most part, although the characters' style of speaking is somewhat outdated; perhaps it would be more suitable for older children. The illustrations are a unique style of ink sketches - they are mostly black and white with accents of brown, green, and red. I think students would enjoy reading this book and then thinking of all the other things one could do as a flat person. This book could also open up good discussion about being accepting of everyone and their differences, as this idea is introduced by Mrs. Lambchop (Stanely's mother) when she states, "it is wrong to dislike people for their shapes. Or their religion, for that matter, or the color of their skin." Stanely follows her comment by remarking that "maybe it's impossible for everybody to like everybody." These are both very important observations that I think it would be good for students to discuss. ( )
  mmiller28 | Dec 1, 2015 |
"I liked him getting flat" ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
After children read this book, I see them all wanting to use this idea. I think the teacher reading the book might have to give a little more insight on what to do, but after that, the children could even do it as a class. The book could be read as an introduction to the activity. ( )
  glguerra | Oct 14, 2015 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he is sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible