Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! by…

Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure! (original 1964; edition 2009)

by Jeff Brown

Member:Amcantrell
Title:Flat Stanley: His Original Adventure!
Authors:Jeff Brown
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Adventure, Social Studies, Humor, Series, Geography, Travel

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (1964)

Stanley Lambchop wakes up as flat as pancake when a bulletin board falls on him during the night. Instead of complaining about it, Stanley makes the most of his condition. He is in for the time of his life. Pick up this book today and join Stanley on his adventures. ( )
  Pam2014 | Oct 20, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 28, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 27, 2014 |
When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him. Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he's a hero. This is the very first Flat Stanley adventure, updated with crisp new art. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot! I think it is different than the typical story plots that are found on the shelves today. When I was growing up I visited Colonial Williamsburg a lot with my family. One day a lady asked my sisters and I to take a picture with a Flat Stanley from her classroom. The lady told us all about Flat Stanley and reading this book brought back all of those memories. I like the book for two reasons. First, I like the book because of how it is written. I think the text has a great pace to it and there is not too much text included on each page. For every page of text there is an illustration page provided. The second reason I liked this book is because of the central purpose of the book. I think the central purpose of the book is to embrace your differences and use them for good. For example, when Stanley becomes flat he does not just sit around a pout that he is flat. Instead he finds ways in which he can help. Stanley’s mother drops her ring and Stanley is able to slide into the crate and retrieve the ring. Therefore, I think the central message of the story is to embrace differences. ( )
  awalls4 | May 11, 2014 |

What's the story?
Flat as a pancake, smashed by a bulletin board, Stanley uses his new shape to gain attention, but he soon learns the downside of being different. Jeff Brown's sophisticated humor keeps adults entertained, while kids identify with Stanley's feelings and enjoy his adventures. The illustration style, though dated, is expressive and funny. Brown's understanding of childhood emotions is as highly tuned as his humorous, understated writing style: "Mr. Dart stood back a few feet and stared at him for a moment. 'Oh well,' he said, 'it may not be art, but I know what I like.'"

The lesson about the perils of going to extremes for attention is subtly conveyed, as Stanley is teased and rejected by his peers and Mom delivers a heavy-handed lecture about accepting other's differences, including racial and religious ones. Younger siblings will relate to Arthur's jealousy, too.

After a bulletin board fell on him and decreased his thickness to one-half an inch, Stanley's life changed in peculiar ways. His younger, well-rounded brother was jealous of flat Stanley, who could fit under closed doors, slip down sidewalk grates, be carried bundle-form, or flown as a kite,-- and who was finally proclaimed a ""flat here"" for being instrumental in uncovering a pair of thieves. The listening group will enjoy Stanley's bizarre perspective on the world.

Jeff Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nash, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pamintuan, MackyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.C. and Tony
Breakfast was ready. "I will go wake up the boys," Mrs. Lambchop said to her husband, George Lambchop.

When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him, Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he is a hero!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

After a bulletin board falls on Stanley while he's sleeping, he finds that being flat has its advantages.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible