The Death Of Captain Future by Allen Steele

The Death Of Captain Future

by Allen Steele

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
3.5 stars

To get the fastest transport to a rendezvous with his new job, spacer Rohr Furland decides to take a position on The Comet. Rohr doesn??t listen to gossip, so he isnƒ??t aware that the captain of The Comet, who styles himself Captain Future, is a nut case who canƒ??t find a crew because nobody else will work for him. Nobody, that is, except for Jeri, a bioengineered ƒ??Superiorƒ? human who Rohr develops a crush on.Why is Jeri, who is a wonderful person and an excellent First Officer, willing to put up with this awful job?

Captain Future, obsessed with 1960s American pulp science fiction, turns out to be a tyrant. His father bought him The Comet and now heƒ??s living out all his boyhood fantasies as the captain of a spaceship. Rohr canƒ??t stand Captain Future, but all he has to do is make it to their next stop, where Rohr will be disembarking. But when a distress signal comes in from a spaceship thatƒ??s in trouble, The Comet is obliged to change course and go to its aid. Now, with potential danger ahead, Captain Future is really in his element!

The Death of Captain Future, by Allen Steele, is a short fun story thatƒ??s bound to please fans of old science fiction heroic adventures. I listened to it in audio format and it kept me happily entertained for two hours. Audible Frontierƒ??s version was read by Marc Vietor, who is perfect for this sort of role. This version has an introduction by Allen Steele (read by Allen Steele) in which he talks about how Edmond Hamiltonƒ??s CAPTAIN FUTURE stories, which Steele read when he was a young boy, inspired this story. He even includes excerpts from the CAPTAIN FUTURE books in the text. Allen Steele also explains how Jeri was inspired by the girl he had a crush on in sixth grade.

The Death of Captain Future appeared in the October 1995 issue of Asimovƒ??s Science Fiction and won both a Hugo Award and a Seiun Award. It was also nominated for a Nebula and a Locus Poll Award. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

To get the fastest transport to a rendezvous with his new job, spacer Rohr Furland decides to take a position on The Comet. Rohr doesn’t listen to gossip, so he isn’t aware that the captain of The Comet, who styles himself Captain Future, is a nut case who can’t find a crew because nobody else will work for him. Nobody, that is, except for Jeri, a bioengineered “Superior” human who Rohr develops a crush on.Why is Jeri, who is a wonderful person and an excellent First Officer, willing to put up with this awful job?

Captain Future, obsessed with 1960s American pulp science fiction, turns out to be a tyrant. His father bought him The Comet and now he’s living out all his boyhood fantasies as the captain of a spaceship. Rohr can’t stand Captain Future, but all he has to do is make it to their next stop, where Rohr will be disembarking. But when a distress signal comes in from a spaceship that’s in trouble, The Comet is obliged to change course and go to its aid. Now, with potential danger ahead, Captain Future is really in his element!

The Death of Captain Future, by Allen Steele, is a short fun story that’s bound to please fans of old science fiction heroic adventures. I listened to it in audio format and it kept me happily entertained for two hours. Audible Frontier’s version was read by Marc Vietor, who is perfect for this sort of role. This version has an introduction by Allen Steele (read by Allen Steele) in which he talks about how Edmond Hamilton’s CAPTAIN FUTURE stories, which Steele read when he was a young boy, inspired this story. He even includes excerpts from the CAPTAIN FUTURE books in the text. Allen Steele also explains how Jeri was inspired by the girl he had a crush on in sixth grade.

The Death of Captain Future appeared in the October 1995 issue of Asimov’s Science Fiction and won both a Hugo Award and a Seiun Award. It was also nominated for a Nebula and a Locus Poll Award.

Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A poignant satire, if you will. A story of the hard graft of a spacer's life, and a deluded rich man that wants to be a hero, and just about believe he is Captain Future. Everyone thinks he is pretty much crazy, and won't work for him, so a man stuck for a job agrees to what he thinks is a one way trip.

It becomes more than that when they are the closest to an accident with a mass driver, and unless they do something about the distressed ship, something really big will hit Mars, wiping out most of the colony there.

Finding the ship, the second mate realises :

“...There’s no such thing.” I bent over the keypad and went to work accessing the main computer, my fingers thick and clumsy within the suit gloves. “No Planet Police, no asteroid pirates. Just a ship whose air ducts are crawling with the Plague. You’re . . .”

“I’m Captain Future!” declaims his captain.

They manage to stop it, but Captain Future gets infected with the plague due to his lack of caution, but they eulogise him when they get back.

And as the end, in a story that really turns out to be quite moving, and well worth reading:

"Last night, some nervous kid-a cargo grunt off some LEO freighter, his union card probably still uncreased-sidled up to me at the bar and asked for my autograph. While I was signing the inside cover of his logbook, he told me a strange rumor he had recently heard: Captain Future managed to escape from the Fool’s Gold just before it blew. According to him, prospectors in the inner belt report spotting a gig on their screens, one whose pilot answers their calls as Curt Newton before transmissions are lost.

I bought the youngster a drink and told him the truth. Naturally, he refused to believe me, nor can I blame him.

Heroes are hard to find. We need to welcome them whenever they appear in our midst. You’ve just got to be careful to pick the right guy, because it’s easy for someone to pretend to be what they’re not.

bluetyson | Jan 16, 2008 |

bluetyson | Jan 16, 2008 |

bluetyson | Nov 19, 2007 |
Dies ist die wahre Geschichte über den Tod von Captain Future.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,303,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible