Last Exit to Brooklyn by Jr Hubert Selby

Last Exit to Brooklyn (1964)

by Hubert Selby, Jr.

2,310233,961 (3.86)1 / 80
    Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both are written as if spoken and deal with the petty viciousness that is required to survive at the bottom of the heap in so-called civilised societies.
    The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things by J. T. LeRoy (Nassime)
    Nassime: Do not let the author identity scandal surrounding this novel dilute your appreciation of it. For me the true Child of Selby's masterpiece is this

English (22)  Italian (1)  All languages (23)
I enjoyed Last Exit to Brooklyn. It wasn't what I had expected, but I don't mind. I like how Hubert Selby writes, it took sometime getting use to, (again, it's been awhile since I've read him) but I caught on really fast. The stories are very intriguing and they don't really relate to each other but some of the characters are used in several and will mention something in a different plot in a different chapter. The stories focus on the struggles and dreams of people in Brooklyn. They are not you're everyday characters, many you would expect to dislike, but you feel their pain, understand them and want to see revenge to people who wrong them. It's an exciting book because the characters are so different. 3.5/5 ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
This book is shocking. It describes the lives of a collection of Brooklyn residents in the 1960s and will leave you wondering how on earth anyone survived there at all with any semblance of sanity left. These are rough characters. On the one had I could talk about their actions as survival techniques in the 'eat or be eaten' atmosphere, or I could talk about their callous gleeful anger and infliction of violence upon each other. I think I'll talk about something different instead.

This book was hard to read, but I kept going because of the post script by the author. I was about to abandon ship, the constant sadness and hardship and faithless violence was too much for me, so I read the post script as a farewell. And in it Selby talked about leaving his mark, contributing something to this world when he thought he had not much time left on this earth to do so. He wanted to leave his legacy, yes, but he also wanted the voices of the people in his neighbourhood to be heard. This is where the power of the book lies. Goodness only knows how many people live like the people in this book- scraping together money from anywhere for alcohol or drugs, fervently seeking validation from peers by being the toughest or the cruelest, desperately craving that buzz from impressing someone with your latest conquest/hairstyle/round of drinks, living in fear of having violated some rule of the neighbourhood and having the local thugs raining their fists and boots on you, the children locked in apartments while their parents yell and scream and worse at each other. It is not pretty, these lives are out there being lived, and my take is that Selby wanted to have their experiences documented. In their own way, all the people in the book are seeking happiness (companionship/acceptance/love). Their ability to find it is seriously hampered by the ways they go about it, and their complete lack of empathy for others.

The bigger chapter in the middle section of the book on the union leader unfolded spectacularly, and although I read it with foreboding, and the ending was not such a huge surprise, it took me to a place I couldn't have reached on my own. This guy was seriously damaged and had no concept of how he was seen by others, or how he was being used, or how he was using or abusing others. That lack of insight can (I suppose) explain the actions of a lot of the characters. As a sociological account it is incredible, as a reading experience it is difficult and upsetting. ( )
3 vote LovingLit | Jul 25, 2016 |
nope! ( )
  deldevries | Jul 6, 2016 |
This book is brutal. None of the characters are redeemable and it's so heavy handed with their development that I am only able to believe that Selby was being masochistic rather than artistic in his representation.

In comparison, Graham Greene's book, Brighton Beach, has some horrible characters, but it's done more artfully. ( )
  Sean191 | Jun 13, 2015 |
A complete powerhouse which knocked me over and just would not let me get back up. Such a beautiful, memorable and harrowing book. ( )
  rimbo90 | Mar 28, 2015 |
The problem with the subsequent notoriety of the book, and its status as a cause célèbre of British anti-censorship, is that this has overshadowed Last Exit itself – the visceral power of its prose and the profundity of Selby’s moral universe.

Selby’s narrative style, a form of typography that ‘would work as musical notation’ – a direct development of his love for classical music – dispensed with the conventional formalities of dialogue. Selby had a profound dislike of the simplistic and unrealistic ‘he said, she said’ device. Selby’s characters speak with an idiosyncratic flow. Each can be identified by their own rhythms of speech. The form and structure of dialogue is specific to the feel and flow of emotion that shapes each character’s inner life.

Scorching, unrelenting, pulsing.
added by GYKM | editNewsweek

As dramatic and immediate as the click of a switchblade knife.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Times

Selby has an unerring instinct for honing our collapse into novels as glittering and as cutting as pure, black, jagged glass.
added by GYKM | editSaturday Review

Drops like a sledgehammer. Emotionally beaten, one leaves it a different person—slightly changed, educated by pain, as Goethe said.
added by GYKM | editThe Nation

Selby, Hubert, Jr.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wesselius, RudiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

Ecclesiastes 3:19
This book is dedicated,

with love, to Gil.
C'était frais. Cela rafraîchissait. Oui, il faisait plus frais et sa tête avait merveilleusement chaud et elle aurait encore Vinnie et la prochaine fois, un jour, il l'embrasserait. Et ils sortiraient ensemble. Au cinéma. Et ils se tiendraient la main ou bien ils iraient se promener et il lui allumerait sa cigarette... oui, il ferait un abri de ses mains autour de l'allumette, la cigarette pendant au coin des lèvres, et je mettrai mes mains autour des siennes et il soufflera l'allumette et la jettera au loin... mais nous n'aurons pas besoin d'aller danser. Je sais qu'il n'aime pas danser. Je porterai une jolie robe imprimée. Quelque chose de simple. Quelque chose de net et d'élégant. Vinnie? C'était Harry... Non. Non, je n'aurai pas besoin de m'habiller en femme. Nous défierons tout le monde, nous nous aimerons... Aimerons. Et on nous aimera. Et on m'aimera. Et l'oiseau viendra, et il chantera l'amour et nous volerons... Oh, cette salope... Je suis femme de façon bien plus convaincante que Lee quand je suis habillée. Elle ressemble à Chaplin. Et je danserai comme Melissa. Si seulement j'étais un petit peu plus petite. Et bien, nous lui avons montré à Miss Lee, pas vrai Vincent — (Georgette dansait tout autour de la pièce en fredonnant des chansons, vêtue d'un slip de soie et d'un soutien-gorge rembourré, et un type était assis nu, au bord du lit, de la sueur roulait sur son corps luisant, il touchait la soie quand Georgette passait près de lui, il jouait avec ses parties génitales, se léchait les lèvres, de la salive lui tombant de la bouche, puis elle ôta son slip et il le saisit, enfouit son visage dedans et tomba sur le lit en gémissant en se vautrant...) — Non. Non. C'est maintenant. Demain. Vinnie oui, oui. Vincennti. Vincennti d'Amore. Che gelida mania... oui, oui. J'ai froid, oh mon bien-aimé. Si me chiamano Mimi... Si, une bougie. La douce lumière des bougies... et je vais lire pour toi. Et nous boirons du vin. Non, il ne fait pas froid. Pas vraiment. C'est seulement la brise du lac. C'est si beau. Paisible. Regarde, rienque quelques petites rides à la surface. Et des saules. Oui. Si. Des saules majestueux qui se penchent pour se regarder dans l'eau, qui se courbent pour nous dire oui. Oui, oui, oui... Oh, Vincennti tiens moi. Plus fort. Vincennti d'Amore. O soave fanciulla. -- (Georgie est un de mes amis, il est prêt à me baiser à n'importe quel moment pour 25 cents ou) — Le Lac. Le Lac. Et la lune... oui... Regarde. Regarde. Vois-tu là-bas? Un cygne. Oh comme il est beau. Comme il est calme. La lune le suit. Regarde comme elle l'éclaire. Oh, quelle grâce. Oh oui oui oui Vinnie... Vincennti... Regarde. Regarde, il vient vers nous. Nous. Pour nous. Oh comme il est blanc. Oui. Il est blanc. Plus blanc que les neiges sur les montagnes. Et il n'y a plus d'ombres maintenant. Mais il brille, il étincelle. Le roi des oiseaux. Oui. Oh oui, oui, des violoncelles. Des centaines de violoncelles et nous glisserons dans le clair de lune, nous nous pencherons sur LE CYGNE et nous embrasserons sa tête et nous ferons signe aux saules et saluerons la nuit et ils nous rendront grâce... Ils nous rendront grâce et Le Lac nous rendra grâce et nous sourira et la lune nous rendra grâce et les montagnes nous rendront grâce et la brise nous rendra grâce et le soleil se lèvera doucement et ses rayons s'étendront et même les saules lèveront un peu la tête et la neige sera plus blanche et les ombres se lèveront des montagnes et il fera chaud... oui, il fera chaud... les ombres resteront, mais le clair de lune sera chaud (Danse, Ballerine Danse) Vinnie??? Le clair de lune sera chaud. Il fera plus chaud. Serre-moi Vincennti. Aime-moi. Aime-moi seulement. Mais les champs de fleurs sont si beaux au soleil. Dans le flot de lumière vive. Chaude et brillante. Et les hautes herbes fuient et se séparent et les couleurs éclatent et de petites gouttes de rosée brillent et tout est rouge et violet pourpre et vert et blanc... oui blanc, et or et bleu et rose, d'un doux rose et regarde les lucioles... comme des fleurs de la nuit... Oh oui, oui, des fleurs de la nuit. De petites lumières douces. De jolies petites lumières. Oh, j'ai si froid. La commèdia è finita. NON ! NON ! Vincennti. Oui, oui ma chérie. Si me chiamano Mimi. Pauvre petit Georgie. L'oiseau. Écoute Vinnie. Oiseau. Oh oui mon chéri, oui, oui. Je t'aime. T'aime. Oh Vinnie Vincennti. Ta bouche, tes lèvres sont si chaudes. D'Amore. Oh regarde comme les étoiles pâlissent le ciel. Oui, comme des bijoux. Oh Vinnie j'ai si froid. Viens, allons marcher. Sone andati. Oui mon amour, je l'entends. Oui. Il chante l'amour. L'amour Vinnie... il chante l'amour... non NON !Oh mon Dieu non!!! Vinnie m'aime. Il m'aime. Ce. N'était pas.De la merde.p. 77/78

Last Exit to Brooklyn remains undiminished in its awesome power and magnitude as the novel that first showed us the fierce, primal rage seething in America’s cities. Selby brings out the dope addicts, hoodlums, prostitutes, workers, and thieves brawling in the back alleys of Brooklyn. This explosive best-seller has come to be regarded as a classic of modern American writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The decadence and violence of the urban streets is graphically portrayed in this novel set in a post-WWII Brooklyn slum.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible