Saturdays and Teacakes by Lester Laminack

Saturdays and Teacakes

by Lester Laminack

realistic fiction ( )
  tmr273 | Apr 14, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I liked the use of repetition. For example, the author repeats the phrase “Every Saturday” and “Pedal, Pedal, Pedal, past…” The repetition represents how important Saturdays are to the boy. The phrase “Pedal, Pedal, Pedal, past…” emphasizes that the boy uses this type of transportation to travel through town to get to his grandmother’s house. I also liked the how the illustrations are large, detailed, and colorful. Since this is a specific, personal event to the main character, the illustrations aid the reader with painting a picture in his or her mind. The author also implements imagery for example, “...she spread a cloth over the red countertop and scattered a fistful of flour across it, sending a cloud into the air.” The imagery adds other types of visualization to the story. The big idea of this story about appreciating family traditions. ( )
  ktran4 | Mar 9, 2015 |
I liked this book because of the characters, and descriptive language. In this book the characters described are easy to relate with personally. I myself have had such fond memories of time spent with grandparents, as well as great-grandparents. Throughout the book you are able to connect with the little boy and his journey to see his grandmother. In addition to this characteristic of the book, I enjoyed the use of descriptive language. This allows the reader to close their eyes and visualize the kitchen being in disarray from baking the teacakes. Another scene that was vividly depicted was the boys routine of getting to his grandmothers house. The reader can visualize again the many details that are associated with this loving memory. The message I received form this book is that time spent with family is memorable and valued. Nothing hits closer to the heart than being able to share special moments with loved ones. ( )
  anunez1 | Feb 18, 2015 |
1. This is a story about the strong bond between grandmother and grandson. Every Saturday when the young boy was growing up he would ride his bicycle to his grandmother's "Mammaw's" house while navigating the roads along the countryside of this small town. It is on this day of the week where the two would do chores, share fresh tomato sandwiches and teacakes.

2. This is a delightfully illustrated book that brings the reader back to a time of joy and fun. A great book that demonstrates the importance of family and family traditions in a small country town. The realism is expressed by the descriptions of the hilly roads, the gas pump in town, and how the highway that runs right through the middle of town.

3. Text-to-text connections can be made with the book by Patricia Polacco entitled Thunder cake. Both books indicate the importance of family when the grandchildren's time with their grandmother is so special. Many students may be able to make a text-to-self connection if they have ever had special moments with their own grandparents.

4. A terrific quote to indicate the special bond between the two is "Every Saturday, Mammaw was there, sitting on her old metal glider--criiick-craaack-criiick-craaack--sipping a cup of Red Diamond Coffee and waiting. She was waiting for me. N one else. Just me.
  Jrosem | Oct 15, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156145303X, Hardcover)

When I was nine or ten years old I couldn't wait for Saturdays. I got up early, dressed, and rolled my bicycle out of the garage.
So begins author Lester Laminack's poetic memory of the adult who made him feel incredibly special-his grandmother. Every Saturday, the narrator, a young boy, rides his bicycle up and down country roads past farms, a graveyard, and a filling station, until he reaches his beloved Mammaw's house. She is waiting for him. While she picks tomatoes, he pushes the lawnmower through the dew-wet grass. Afterwards, he always helps her make teacakes from scratch, breaking the eggs and stirring the batter. But the best part, he remembers, is eating the hot, sweet cakes fresh from the oven.
Children will understand the special relationship of the narrator and his grandmother. Set in a small town in the Leave It to Beaver days of the mid-sixties, the story evokes a gentler and more innocent time and place. Young readers will almost hear the sounds of bicycle wheels on gravel and the criiick-craaack-criiick of a metal glider in Laminack's richly detailed prose. Award-winning illustrator Chris Soentpiet's images beautifully capture the relationship and the place, perfectly depicting the simplicity of an earlier time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:12 -0400)

A young boy remembers the Saturdays when he was nine or ten and he would ride his bicycle to his Ma'am-maw's house, where they spent the day together mowing the lawn, picking vegetables, eating lunch, and making delicious, sweet teacakes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,711,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible