Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen

Out of Africa (1937)

by Isak Dinesen

English (48)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
Read some of this in early 2016, maybe get back to later, got from Library
  ncrisafulli | Feb 4, 2016 |
Doomed lovers who live life to its fullest, only regretting that change is a constant. A very personal journey into one woman's wilderness and how she finds love there despite her isolation. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Out of Africa is the story of a remarkable and unconventional woman and a way of life that has vanished forever. Beautiful, vivid, memorable. The descriptions of the landscape in particular were breathtaking. It's easy to see why this is such an enduring classic. ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
Nothing like the film by the way! If you're looking for the romance between Karen Blixen and Denys Finch-Hatton then the best you'll get is that he makes a lot of appearances. This is a non-fiction story about Africa; the landscape, the people, the animals and the way that it can get into your soul. It definitely made me want to go to Kenya and there was a real hint of nostalgia for what is now gone. Blixen writes in detail of her impressions of running a coffee plantation - it isn't really chronological, there are clearly huge bits that are simply brushed over, but it was a powerful read and I'm glad I have. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
This was the second time that I read this book. The first time I read it was just after the movie came out in 1986, and upon this second pass I have a greater appreciation for how the screenwriters merged Karen Blixen's writing with her biography to come up with a more traditional (chronological) story.

Blixen's writing is nostalgic and poetic as she paints a picture of colonial Africa from the perspective of a colonizer. I loved her descriptions (beautifully written), but the stories in the book are more or less vignettes, so don't expect a typical novel if you pick up this book: it's not written chronologically. The fragments of her memories she shares are selective but give insight to a different time and place. Karen Blixen loved Africa and the people she met there. This book is a testament to that love. ( )
  Neftzger | Sep 30, 2015 |

Lundkvist, ArturTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perlet, GiselaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, RuthTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Equitare, Arcum tendere, Veritatem dicere
I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills.
A white man who wanted to say a pretty thing to you would write: "I can never forget you." The African says: "We do not think of you, that you can ever forget us."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

In this book, the author of Seven Gothic Tales gives a true account of her life on her plantation in Kenya. She tells with classic simplicity of the ways of the country and the natives: of the beauty of the Ngong Hills and coffee trees in blossom: of her guests, from the Prince of Wales to Knudsen, the old charcoal burner, who visited her: of primitive festivals: of big game that were her near neighbors--lions, rhinos, elephants, zebras, buffaloes--and of Lulu, the little gazelle who came to live with her, unbelievably ladylike and beautiful. The Random House colophon made its debut in February 1927 on the cover of a little pamphlet called "Announcement Number One." Bennett Cerf and Donald Klopfer, the company's founders, had acquired the Modern Library from publishers Boni and Liveright two years earlier. One day, their friend the illustrator Rockwell Kent stopped by their office. Cerf later recalled, "Rockwell was sitting at my desk facing Donald, and we were talking about doing a few books on the side, when suddenly I got an inspiration and said, 'I've got the name for our publishing house. We just said we were go-ing to publish a few books on the side at random. Let's call it Random House.' Donald liked the idea, and Rockwell Kent said, 'That's a great name. I'll draw your trademark.' So, sitting at my desk, he took a piece of paper and in five minutes drew Random House, which has been our colophon ever since." Throughout the years, the mission of Random House has remained consistent: to publish books of the highest quality, at random. We are proud to continue this tradition today. This edition is set from the first American edition of 1937 and commemorates the seventy-fifth anniversary of Random House.… (more)

Legacy Library: Isak Dinesen

Isak Dinesen has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Isak Dinesen's legacy profile.

See Isak Dinesen's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183330, 0241951437, 0143566369

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible