Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen

Out of Africa (1937)

by Isak Dinesen

English (41)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
Scuffed spine - pity!
  captbirdseye | Sep 3, 2014 |
i guess i can't really review this because I only got a quarter of the way through, but this book was mega boring. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
British East Africa in the early 20th century on a coffee plantation owned by a woman. Mesmerizing. You feel Africa during the colonial period. Far better than the Academy Award winner film. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |

Kielty, BernardineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundkvist, ArturTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perlet, GiselaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Equitare, Arcum tendere, Veritatem dicere
I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills.
A white man who wanted to say a pretty thing to you would write: "I can never forget you." The African says: "We do not think of you, that you can ever forget us."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:45 -0400)

In this book, the author of Seven Gothic Tales gives a true account of her life on her plantation in Kenya. She tells with classic simplicity of the ways of the country and the natives: of the beauty of the Ngong Hills and coffee trees in blossom: of her guests, from the Prince of Wales to Knudsen, the old charcoal burner, who visited her: of primitive festivals: of big game that were her near neighbors--lions, rhinos, elephants, zebras, buffaloes--and of Lulu, the little gazelle who came to live with her, unbelievably ladylike and beautiful. The Random House colophon made its debut in February 1927 on the cover of a little pamphlet called "Announcement Number One." Bennett Cerf and Donald Klopfer, the company's founders, had acquired the Modern Library from publishers Boni and Liveright two years earlier. One day, their friend the illustrator Rockwell Kent stopped by their office. Cerf later recalled, "Rockwell was sitting at my desk facing Donald, and we were talking about doing a few books on the side, when suddenly I got an inspiration and said, 'I've got the name for our publishing house. We just said we were go-ing to publish a few books on the side at random. Let's call it Random House.' Donald liked the idea, and Rockwell Kent said, 'That's a great name. I'll draw your trademark.' So, sitting at my desk, he took a piece of paper and in five minutes drew Random House, which has been our colophon ever since." Throughout the years, the mission of Random House has remained consistent: to publish books of the highest quality, at random. We are proud to continue this tradition today. This edition is set from the first American edition of 1937 and commemorates the seventy-fifth anniversary of Random House.… (more)

Legacy Library: Isak Dinesen

Isak Dinesen has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Isak Dinesen's legacy profile.

See Isak Dinesen's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183330, 0241951437, 0143566369

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,382,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible