Out Of Africa by Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen)

Out Of Africa (original 1937; edition 1986)

by Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen)

3,101None1,815 (3.98)211
Member:sageboy
Title:Out Of Africa
Authors:Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen)
Info:Guild Publishing (1986), Leather Bound, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Autobiography

Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (1937)

1001 (28) 1001 books (39) 20th century (61) adventure (20) Africa (364) autobiography (164) biographical (17) biography (134) classic (35) classics (36) colonialism (20) Danish (36) danish literature (49) Denmark (42) fiction (186) Folio Society (13) history (18) Isak Dinesen (31) Kenya (124) literature (58) memoir (223) non-fiction (165) novel (39) own (13) read (21) Roman (24) to-read (61) travel (45) unread (30) women (18)

English (36)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
great audio book which I thought was more rich than the movie.

This was released under another label 1982 that went under and was among the first audiobooks made that I knew of commercially.

Also the first audiobook experience for me and Julie Harris narration I thought quite good. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Nov 2, 2013 |
Politically-incorrect for today's world - still, a beautifully painted account of African landscapes and people. Having been to Kenya myself, I could relate to some of the author's experiences, from a European perspective. ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Aug 5, 2013 |
This is a beautiful memoir about Dinesen's life on a coffee plantation in Africa. I read this while on a trip to Tanzania and just loved it. She has some amazing stories about her life that are beautifully written and clearly show a love of not only the majesty of the country but the people. I disagree with some people's reviews that her writing shows a superiority over the African people. The book is clearly dated, but demonstrate her love of the Kenyans in her life and a genuine respect for their traditions and culture. Underlying in many of her stories is the tension between the West - trying to change and remake the country into a European outpost and the dying traditions of a society struggling to survive. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
A beautifully written book, but one that I think can only be fully appreciated if you know a little about Karen Blixen's life beforehand. Once you do, there's such a romantic aura around what is left unstead regarding her relationship with Denys Fitch-Hatton, that the book undoubtedly leaves something really special with you. I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

It's hard to escape what a phenomenon this book must have been when it first came out, or rather, when it was first revealed to have been written by a woman. An honest, poignant account about one western woman's life in Africa during the 1920s with interesting accounts of the relationship she builds up with those she's surrounded by, her safari adventures, and the way she deals with startling tragedies that the intense conditions of the continent make known to her. More to the point, it's a fascinating look at Kenya nearly 100 years ago.

Of course it's a bit dated, and it's not an easy book to read, but it's a worthy read, a novel that will leave an impact on you for a long time, and just maybe a book you will fall in love with. ( )
  kezumi | May 6, 2012 |

Kielty, BernardineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundkvist, ArturTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perlet, GiselaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Equitare, Arcum tendere, Veritatem dicere
I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills.
A white man who wanted to say a pretty thing to you would write: "I can never forget you." The African says: "We do not think of you, that you can ever forget us."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:45 -0400)

In this book, the author of Seven Gothic Tales gives a true account of her life on her plantation in Kenya. She tells with classic simplicity of the ways of the country and the natives: of the beauty of the Ngong Hills and coffee trees in blossom: of her guests, from the Prince of Wales to Knudsen, the old charcoal burner, who visited her: of primitive festivals: of big game that were her near neighbors--lions, rhinos, elephants, zebras, buffaloes--and of Lulu, the little gazelle who came to live with her, unbelievably ladylike and beautiful. The Random House colophon made its debut in February 1927 on the cover of a little pamphlet called "Announcement Number One." Bennett Cerf and Donald Klopfer, the company's founders, had acquired the Modern Library from publishers Boni and Liveright two years earlier. One day, their friend the illustrator Rockwell Kent stopped by their office. Cerf later recalled, "Rockwell was sitting at my desk facing Donald, and we were talking about doing a few books on the side, when suddenly I got an inspiration and said, 'I've got the name for our publishing house. We just said we were go-ing to publish a few books on the side at random. Let's call it Random House.' Donald liked the idea, and Rockwell Kent said, 'That's a great name. I'll draw your trademark.' So, sitting at my desk, he took a piece of paper and in five minutes drew Random House, which has been our colophon ever since." Throughout the years, the mission of Random House has remained consistent: to publish books of the highest quality, at random. We are proud to continue this tradition today. This edition is set from the first American edition of 1937 and commemorates the seventy-fifth anniversary of Random House.… (more)

Legacy Library: Isak Dinesen

Isak Dinesen has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Isak Dinesen's legacy profile.

See Isak Dinesen's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183330, 0241951437, 0143566369

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible