Mississippi Bridge by Mildred D. Taylor

Mississippi Bridge (edition 2000)

by Mildred D. Taylor (Author), Mildred D. Taylor (Author), Max Ginsburg (Illustrator)

Member:gjchauvin504
Title:Mississippi Bridge
Authors:Mildred D. Taylor (Author)
Other authors:Mildred D. Taylor (Author), Max Ginsburg (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2000), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 64 pages
Collections:Non Fiction, Informational Books, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:Prejudice, Martin Luther King, South, Depresstion

Mississippi Bridge by Mildred D. Taylor

Summary: Ten year old Jeremy is watching people get on the bus outside of Wallace's store. Jeremy is sympathetic to the poor treatment of black people in his community, but no one seems to want to hear it. Jeremy is saddened when it is explained that the colored people need to sit at the back of the bus, and even more so when they are told to get off the bus to make room for a white family. The bus leaves in a hurry during a rainstorm, and spins off of an old, rickety bridge. Jeremy runs for help while a black man that was expelled from the bus jumps in to try to save people. Jeremy returns and continues to help the man pull bodies from the river, more disheartened than ever by the way life is.

Personal Reaction: This story was very sad to me. Having read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry previously, I was familiar with that characters and setting. The sadness and concern young Jeremy feels for those around him is heartbreaking.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) In groups, students will evaluate what actions were acceptable and unacceptable.
2)Have the students create a timeline of the story,seemingly going uphill. The vertex of the timeline will be the climax of the story.
(I had trouble thinking of extensions, so I used the website teacherlink.ed.usu.edu for ideas.) ( )
  Sara.rivera | Oct 1, 2013 |
Mildred D. Taylor's "Mississippi Bridge" is a well written, thought provoking book about racial injustice. written from a white boy's point of view, it makes us think about some things we all too often ignore . This is a very important book that teaches students about when blacks did not have free rights. I would defiantly recomend everyone to read this book because learning about the depresstion in the south is very important. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Nov 15, 2012 |
RGG: Short story narrated by Jeremy Simms (using heavy vernacular). Interactions at the Wallace's store show the evilness of the racism of the Jim Crow South. The violent ending when the Whites' mistreatment of Blacks results in the fateful deaths of White people may be difficult for some students.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2012 |
Mildred Taylor wanted to show people the injustice that African Americans faced during the days of the Great Depression. The story is told from the eyes of Jeremy, a young white boy, whose father runs the local store. Jeremy sees how his father mistreats these people when they are in his store and doesn't understand his negative attitude towards them. He wants to be friends with them, and wants them to be treated like the white people. But he doesn't only get to see his father's negative attitude, he sees how the black community deals with this as well. While some just go on about their business ans accept it, others fight and are angry about it. The story ends with one of the most mistreated black men in the story performing a very heroic act for the white people.
I thought this book was difficult to read. The dialect that was used made it hard to speed read through it. When it came to the end, I felt it summed it up too quickly and then the story just stopped. I know you can make your own assumptions, but it still didn't have the flow it needed to lead you to an ending. I would not recommend this book to be read again.
If I had to use this book in my room, I would use it when discussing Civil Rights and the injustice that was experienced by so many people. You can also use it to show children not to group people together based solely on their race. Just because the members of a race feel a certain way does not mean they all do. ( )
  btivis | Oct 10, 2010 |
Taylor states she got the idea for this short story from a story her father told of an event from his own childhood. 1930s-segregated south at the Mississippi River. Casual small town racism as seen through the eyes of a 10 year old white boy--a child afraid of and bullied by his own father--Taylor tells the facts mostly, without editorializing. She does not say how the young black girl felt being told she could not try on a hat in the store or why the black townsfolk spoke easily to each other but clammed up when the little white boy started hanging around. She leaves it to us to decide what to think. A well written and powerful short story. ( )
  bplma | May 17, 2010 |

Jeremy Simms watches from the porch of the general store as the passengers board the weekly bus from Jackson. When several white passengers arrive late, the driver roughly orders the black passengers off to make room. Then, in the driving rain, disaster strikes, and Jeremy witnesses a shocking end to the day's drama. Set in Mississippi in the 1930s, this is a gripping story of racial injustice.

"Taylor, a powerful storyteller, again combines authentic incidents to create a taut plot...Her cry for justice always rings true." --Kirkus Reviews

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:45 -0400)

During a heavy rainstorm in 1930s rural Mississippi, a ten-year-old white boy sees a bus driver order all the black passengers off a crowded bus to make room for late-arriving white passengers and then set off across the raging Rosa Lee River.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible