dismiss

Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen: The Body under…

Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen: The Body under the Piano

by Marthe Jocelyn

1441,060,565 (4.6)None

AGGIE MORTON, MYSTERY QUEEN: THE BODY UNDER THE PIANO
by Marthe Jocelyn
Aggie is twelve and does not go to school – except dance class. In England in 1902 that was not so unusual. But meeting a boy – a foreign boy and making friends with him certainly was! Finding a dead body in her dance class room was also unusual. Joining with the foreign boy to solve a murder is VERY unusual.
This unusual story introduces Aggie (based on Agatha Christie) and Hector Perot is the boy (based on Hercule Perot). They band together to solve the mystery.
A delightful romp through English manners and murder for the middle school set. Intended to be the first in a series, this is set to become an interesting and lengthy series.
4 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Feb 27, 2020 |
I received this book from Tundra Books in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Aggie Morton lives in 1902 Torquay, England. She is a very imaginative, creative and curious twelve year old. She is shy and without companionship (except for her nanny Charlotte). That is until she meets Hector Perot, a twelve year old Belgian immigrant who is being sponsored by the Reverend and his wife.

Aggie takes dance at the Mermaid Dance Room. Her instructor is Miss Marianne Eversham. They have a benefit to collect clothes for the influx of refugees that have moved into Torquay. The next morning, Aggie is the first one through the door at the Mermaid Dance Room, wanting to get into class. She finds Mrs. Irma Eversham, Miss Marianne's sister-in-law, dead under the piano.

Aggie and Hector set out to solve the murder of Mrs. Eversham. The police believe that Miss Marianne is the murderess but they believe differently. They are creative, curious, and determined to prove Miss Marianne's innocence. They find themselves in some crazy situations and Aggie, some dangerous ones.

Although this book is geared towards younger (age 10+) audiences, it is a fun read for someone of any age. I truly enjoyed it. Ms. Jocelyn has researched and accurately described the era for which she writes. I love the characters and that there are illustrations at the beginning of the book which gives a picture in our minds of each one. A really good book plays out like a movie as I'm reading. This book achieved that and more. I read it quickly. I enjoyed it immensely. I highly recommend! ( )
  tmiller1018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
Yes, I appreciated this one very much! I love a mystery with good characterization, a decent plot, and good world-building. The historical aspect is well-done, the story is YA appropriate but was still fun to read for this adult, and was quite engaging. This will be one I'll set aside for my kid for when she's old enough, and hopefully it'll be a good segue into Agatha Christie mysteries themselves (which I was reading voraciously by 8th grade anyway). I am hoping we'll see more Aggie soon.

Thank you to the publisher for the free eARC which I received via Netgalley in exchange for this honest review. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jan 17, 2020 |
I received an advance copy of the book from the publisher via NetGalley.

I need a time machine so I can go back to 1990 to hand my 10-year-old self this book. Almost-40-year-old me ADORED this novel, and I know my 10-year-old self would love it even more. Why? Because the book is smart, savvy historical fiction with an honest depiction of the era, and a heroine with a morbid bent that reminds me lot of myself--though Aggie is actually inspired by the childhood of the Queen of Mystery Writers herself, Agatha Christie.

Aggie is a young girl in 1902, growing up in a small British coastal town. She has a wild imagination and a taste for the macabre, and she can't help but get involved when her music teacher's cruel mother is found dead--dead of poison! Aggie and her friend Hector set out to investigate. Their methods are smart, but they also cause a lot of problems along the way, especially when a meddlesome local reporter gets tangled up in everything.

The characters are fantastic and fun, just as you expect in a cozy British mystery village; plus, they have fun portraits at the front of the book. One of the things I loved most was the honest depiction of the past. It was not sugar-coated. The book deftly addresses bigotry (Hector is a "foreigner," a Belgian refugee inspired by Hercule Poirot), sexism (girls can't/shouldn't do many things), and the complications that arise in this period from a child born out of wedlock. The book feels quite cozy with its fun mystery and whimsical characters, but also grounded in realism because of how these other issues are handled. The balance is so well done.

I highly recommend this book for kids and their parents. If the child isn't already into classic whodunits, this novel could very well be what kicks off a life-long love of the genre. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 17, 2019 |
for Tara
I will tell first about making a new friend and save the dead body for later.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Marthe Jocelyn's book Aggie Morton, Mystery Queen: The Body under the Piano is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible