The Good Killer

by Harry Dolan

"Sean Tennant and Molly Winter are living quietly in Houston when a troubled, obsessive stranger shatters the safety they have carefully constructed for themselves. Sean is at a shopping mall when Henry Alan Keen, scorned by a woman he's been dating, pulls out a gun at the store where she works and begins shooting everyone in sight. A former soldier, Sean rushes toward Keen and ends the slaughter with two well-placed shots-becoming a hero with his face plastered across the news. But Sean's newfound notoriety exposes him to the wrath of two men he thought he had left safely in his past. One blames Sean for his brother's death. The other wants to recover a treasure that Sean and Molly stole from him. Both men are relentless enemies, and Sean and Molly will need to draw on all their strength and devotion to each other if they hope to elude them. Thus begins a cross-country chase that leads from Texas to Montana, from Tennessee to New York to Michigan, as the hunters and their prey grow ever closer and, in a heart-stopping moment, converge"--… (more)

A disturbed Henry Allen Keen rejected by a mall employee decides to open fire on the masses in the store she works at. Former military man Sean Tennant and his wife Molly Winter are living quietly and happily under the radar when Sean's solo actions to take out the lone gunman at the mall cause repercussions for the life they've created. Sean's automatic responses to the threat of Keen leaves him in the glaring spotlight - only to be made worse by the fact that he disappears from the scene before anyone can thank him - or ask questions. Now the two men hunting Sean for separate purposes know where he and Molly have been hiding. One man seeks to recover his stolen goods while the other lays the blame solely at Sean's feet for the death of his brother. Sean & Molly were able to escape and create a life once before but will they be able to escape both men and Sean's sudden fame?

This book is told from several points of view. Each section is titled for the character and it is helpful as this book jumps characters quite often. The Good Killer is a solid book and I was very satisfied with the ending that the author wrote. I read a lot of books that are parts of series and sometimes it is honestly a relief to read a book that isn't. The ending didn't leave me with unanswered questions or even a thought that there could be more added to this story. The ripple effect that Henry Allen Keen's actions caused in this story was a nice touch and I feel like not a lot of authors focus on that. The near misses of the characters in this book coupled with the cross country chase from the Midwest to the East Coast makes this book an exciting read.

I would recommend this book to readers that enjoy thrillers, books with multiple points of view, and crime novels. This book is definitely not full of sensitive subjects other than violence, a public shooting, and mental health issues. Thank you to NetGalley and Grove Atlantic for the opportunity to read this book in exchange an honest review. ( )
  thereviewbooth | Mar 21, 2020 |
The Good Killer by Harry Dolan

Character driven story with each new segment introduced by the name of someone new or a returning player. I found this book a bit like watching a movie and could see it adapted for and easily produced for the big screen.

My thoughts:
* Complex plot
* Well written
* Action-packed
* What is right and what is wrong - truly
* Shades of gray
* Choices are not always clear-cut
* Love trumps all – usually
* Twisted people do twisted things
* Redemption may be possible
* Revenge doesn’t pay
* Great book

What I liked:
* That it made me think
* It is pertinent and timely
* The good guys are flawed
* The bad guys are not all bad
* I liked getting into the minds of the characters
* Cole’s part in the story
* I could visualize what was happening
* The story was credible and realistic
* All of it really except…

What I didn’t like:
* That people are willing to do anything to get what they want
* The reminder that bad things happen to good people
* Wondering what will happen to Rose – will her story be told by this author?

Did I like this book? I did
Would I read more books by this author? Definitely

Thank you to NetGalley and Grove Atlantic-Mysterious Press – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Feb 14, 2020 |
Sean Tennant kills a shooter on a rampage in a mall. However, he has something to hide and when he realizes that his photo will be in the newspaper, he leave Houston. First he must pick up Molly, his girlfriend in Montana.

Unfortunately there are several groups of people after him--the man he stole from, the man whose brother was killed following the robbery and of course, the police.

The Good Killer is an interesting book but does not live up to Harry Dolan's other books. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Feb 10, 2020 |
This is the second book I have read from this author. The second time around is a winner. Instantly. I was drawn to Sean and Molly and this storyline. You could say that I was sucked into the story. Which by the way, this book should come with a warning..."Don't start it before bed unless you don't plan on sleeping."

Once, I started reading, I could not stop reading. There are a handful of characters in this story but they are all major players within the story. I was on the edge of my seat as Sean and Molly tried to keep one step ahead of the people after Sean. The ending put a smile on my face. You can say that I was pleased with the ending. The next book can not come quick enough. Make sure that The Good Killer by Harry Dolan is in your shopping cart. ( )
  Cherylk | Dec 8, 2019 |

Harry Dolan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,639,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible