I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets! by…

I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets!

by Fletcher Hanks

181965,444 (3.94)5

As you may know, I love classic sci fi and adventure novels, and yet I always forget that I would also probably love their counterpart in 1930s/1940s boy and manhood, the classic comic book. Fletcher Hanks was a mysterious comic artist. He only worked for a few years in the late 1930s and early 1940s and then disappeared. When Paul Karasik found a man with the same (unusual) name, he looked him up and happened upon Hanks' elderly, estranged son. The story of Karasik's meeting with Hanks, Jr. and the answers to some of the mysteries surrounding Hanks is illustrated by Karasik and included as an afterward to this pretty damn exciting collection of the senior Hanks' work in the comic genre. First, take a quick minute to Google image search "Fletcher Hanks" so you can see what I'm talking about. Pretty great, right? Fantomah, Mystery Woman of the Jungle is my new life coach. Stardust, The Super Wizard needs to have a movie made about him right now. They are simple and exciting characters with clear motivations (stop evil!) and a rough, colorful drawing style that works perfectly with a cheaply printed comic book.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2016/03/i-shall-destroy-all-civilized-planets.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Mar 20, 2016 |
I wonderful example of true outsider art that somehow leaked through the channels of capitalism. Reminded me a lot of northern renaissance paintings. The ideological disjunctions are explained with Paul Karasik's graphic postscript. ( )
1 vote librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |
One review calls this "outsider comics". That's a pretty good description. I loved this - the artwork and stories are so odd, yet compelling, and the post script in which Paul Karasik tries to track down the cartoonist is interesting. ( )
  piemouth | Jun 10, 2010 |
Fletcher Hanks was the most amazing artist who ever lived. From his secret drawing table, in a penthouse on the other side of the moon, he shot hypno-comic rays into thousands of speechless readers, lifted their bodies, suspended, into space where he flung them into the sun, faster than the speed of light, so that they came out the other side, cooler, and in yesterday. This is not to mention his tales of the Queen in Africa, and the giant panthers, and the bombs over New York. He surely would have busted crime too, if he had the time. "To be continued, in the next issue"...what a diabolical plan! Stardust! ( )
3 vote Ganeshaka | Mar 19, 2010 |
Very golden age, very weird. The epilogue really enhanced it. My favorite comics character is the Spectre, so the creatively gruesome fates of the villains weren't all that startling. He only had a couple basic ideas, but they were strong ones. ( )
  kristenn | Jan 7, 2010 |

Fletcher Hanksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Karasik, PaulAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karasik, PaulEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morgan, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible