The Richness of Life: The Essential Stephen…

The Richness of Life: The Essential Stephen Jay Gould

by Stephen Jay Gould

I probably didn't understand it, but I have not found this collection of essays illuminating as I had expected. I didn't even find them interesting. Sorry about that :( ( )
  Princesca | Jan 9, 2014 |
A varied collection. Ranging form the short and punchy columns he published in Scientific American to extracts from his highly technical works.

As I have previous remarked, I much prefer the former over the latter. For me, when Gould uses three words instead of one I wince and don't particularly marvel at the poetry. But others do.

His writing sometimes lacks the brevity, clarity and force of Dawkins and I can occasionally get tangled up in how he is delivering his message to the detriment of the message itself.

From now on I will indulge myself in his pithy essays. ( )
1 vote psiloiordinary | Nov 29, 2008 |
Gould is a more prolific author since his death than some people are in their entire lives. This book contains a collection of various essays on natural history and evolution contained in his prior works, both academic and popular. Everything in this book has been previously published, but really, who among Gould fans could resist picking up this book? A very human work, accompanied by a delightful glimpse of the man through Oliver Sack's forward. Some of the academic writing was heavy sledding for me, however it made sense in the context of the book. ( )
1 vote Meggo | Jul 26, 2007 |

The most entertaining and enlightening writings by the beloved paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, and celebrant of the wonder of life.

"Nature is so wondrously complex and varied that almost anything possible does happen....I rejoice in [its] multifariousness and leave the chimera of certainty to politicians and preachers."—from Ever Since Darwin

Upon his death in 2002, Stephen Jay Gould stood at the pinnacle among observers of the natural world, recognized by Congress as a "living legend." His prodigious legacy—sixteen best-selling and prize-winning books, dozens of scientific papers, an unbroken series of three hundred essays in Natural History—combined to make Gould the most widely read science writer of our time. This indispensable collection of forty-eight pieces from his brilliant oeuvre includes selections from classics such as Ever Since Darwin and The Mismeasure of Man, plus articles and speeches never before published in book form.

This volume, the last that will bear his name, spotlights his elegance, depth, and sheer pleasure in our world—a true celebration of an extraordinary mind. 20 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:55 -0400)

Collects forty-four key segments from the late paleontologist and evolutionary biologist's books, papers, and essays, in a collection that includes an assortment of previously unpublished articles and speeches.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible