Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by…

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Omnibus 1-2)

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (teelgee)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Tjarda)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran by Roya Hakakian (cransell)
    cransell: A complementary (non-graphic) look at growing up in Iran during the Revolution.
    The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness by Darryl Cunningham (vnovak)
    vnovak: In the introduction to Psychiatric Tales, Darryl Cunningham said that he was inspired to write it after reading Persepolis. They share a spare, black and white style and a empathetic view of difficult topics.
    Nylon Road: A Graphic Memoir of Coming of Age in Iran by Parsua Bashi (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Another coming-of-age memoir in Iran.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books show the effects of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 on Iranian families. The House of the Mosque shows its effect on a Muslim family whereas Persepolis shows its effect on a more secular family. Both authors are writing from their own experience… (more)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (jlparent)
    jlparent: Another wonderfully done graphic novel memoir about a difficult childhood.
    Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale by Belle Yang (VaterOlsen)
    My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah (Tjarda)
    Epileptic by David B. (yabyak)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Die Birnen von Ribbeck by Friedrich Christian Delius (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Life at a personal level under various political regimes, told in an unconventional way.
    When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago (jilld17)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yashar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Heartbreak Diet: A Story of Family, Fidelity, and Starting Over by Thorina Rose (makaiju)
    makaiju: Another autobiographical graphic novel :-p that's a mouthful!
    Mostly Miniatures: An Introduction to Persian Painting by Oleg Grabar (Eustrabirbeonne)

English (244)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (251)
Good story. Loved the graphic novel style. Fast read ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Told in the form of a graphic novel, Persepolis, is the autobiography of Marji Satrapi between the ages of 9-14. The great-granddaughter of the last emperor of Iran, and daughter of Communists, she was poised to have a very interesting view of the Iranian revolutions that shaped the nation into what it has become.

I thought the format was a very interesting way to tell the story. By using the graphic novel format, she makes the recent history of her nation easily accessible to people of all ages. As an adult and history lover, I wanted more information, but given the style of this novel and the fact that it was presented through the eyes of a child, the information was adequate for what this book is. If like me, you find yourself wanting more detail, it's probably a good idea to follow this book up with a more in depth history of Iran. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
I didn't find this book as to be as good as a lot of other people obviously did from their reviews. I don't know much about the Iranian revolution and the war between Iraq and Iran. I feel like this hurt my understanding of the novel. I also feel like the book jumped around suddenly between times and I didn't like that each story was at the most 5 pages long. I would have rather had a full length continuous graphic novel that tells the author's story. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is a moving and real account of a girl growing up in Iran during the revolution and their country's war with Iraq. The book is a graphic novel, which makes it a quick read. It was enlightening learning about another culture through the eyes of a child and it was a reminder that not all residents of the middle east are religious fanatics. Readers learn the consequences of both revolution and war along with Marji. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
I really liked the art style of this book and how it added to the story. It was intriguing to see the events of the Iranian Revolution from the perspective of a child. ( )
  EllsbethB | Dec 18, 2015 |
Satrapi’s style is almost primitive, consisting of flat figures with simple shapes and features. It’s more sophisticated than a child’s creations, but it superficially resembles them, an approach that supports the presentation of memories from that period of life.

Marjane Satrapi's ''Persepolis'' is the latest and one of the most delectable examples of a booming postmodern genre: autobiography by comic book.

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aarne, TainaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deluze, EveLetteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CelineAdditional hand letteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
EXCEPT FOR MY GRANDMOTHER I WAS OBVIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE WHO BELIEVED IN MYSELF.
IT WAS FUNNY TO SEE HOW MUCH MARX AND GOD LOOKED LIKE EACH OTHER. THOUGH MARX'S HAIR WAS A BIT CURLIER.
TO EACH HIS OWN WAY OF CALMING DOWN.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

An intelligent and outspoken only child, Satrapi--the daughter of radical Marxists and the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor--bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,046,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible