Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by…

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

by Marjane Satrapi

Series: Persepolis (Ombinus 1-2)

Recently added byprivate library, aecath, lorgilbert, xiaomarlo, thefirstdark, emglider, tomatekumato, babxba, ghsmediacenter
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (teelgee)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Tjarda)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran by Roya Hakakian (cransell)
    cransell: A complementary (non-graphic) look at growing up in Iran during the Revolution.
    Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness by Darryl Cunningham (vnovak)
    vnovak: In the introduction to Psychiatric Tales, Darryl Cunningham said that he was inspired to write it after reading Persepolis. They share a spare, black and white style and a empathetic view of difficult topics.
    The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books show the effects of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 on Iranian families. The House of the Mosque shows its effect on a Muslim family whereas Persepolis shows its effect on a more secular family. Both authors are writing from their own experience… (more)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (jlparent)
    jlparent: Another wonderfully done graphic novel memoir about a difficult childhood.
    Nylon Road: A Graphic Memoir of Coming of Age in Iran by Parsua Bashi (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Another coming-of-age memoir in Iran.
    Epileptic by David B. (yabyak)
    Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale by Belle Yang (VaterOlsen)
    My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah (Tjarda)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    The Arab of the Future by Riad Sattouf (TomCat14)
    Die Birnen von Ribbeck by Friedrich Christian Delius (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Life at a personal level under various political regimes, told in an unconventional way.
    Mostly Miniatures: An Introduction to Persian Painting by Oleg Grabar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago (jilld17)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yaşar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Heartbreak Diet: A Story of Family, Fidelity, and Starting Over by Thorina Rose (k00kaburra)
    k00kaburra: Another autobiographical graphic novel :-p that's a mouthful!

English (287)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (295)
I want to be like Marji. I want to raise children like Marji.

An excellent book to help begin to understand what has happened in Iran, which can inform what's going on in the world today. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
I like this book!
  dyclibrary | Feb 12, 2019 |
In this graphic novel memoir, Satrapi shares the story of growing up before and after the Islamic Revolution in Iran. The story is told through a series of little vignettes detailing the mundane and the horrific. Marjane’s family is relatively affluent and critical of both the Shah and the fundamentalist regime that replaced him. Her parents actively protest until it becomes far too dangerous to do so anymore. Later, Iran and Iraq go to war, creating even greater hardship for the people of Iran. All throughout, Marjane and her family are still able to find humor and hope in the darkness. She is an incredibly outspoken little girl, which gets her into trouble at school and home.
The artwork is very simple yet conveys a wide array of emotions. It is very much from a child’s perspective and that’s the delight of the book. We see how she would simply repeat what she heard at school and how badly she wanted a revolutionary in her family so that she could tell her friends about her heroic family. The book shows the adjustments and sacrifices that people make as a result of a massive shift in government. Satrapi uses the medium of comics to excellent effect, making her story more visceral than if it were in prose. Check this out, and its sequel Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return as well. ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Feb 9, 2019 |
Iranian revolution as seen through the eyes of the daughter of a progressive Iranian family, which supported the uprising against the Shah, but not the subsequent take-over of the entire society by religious fundamentalists.

Horrifying, humorous, touching and thought-provoking, it is drawn just well enough not to inhibit the story. I was surprised to learn how much I did not know about the Iranian revolution. Truly one of those works that expand one's knowledge about the world we live in, but also highlights human stupidity in all its vastness.

Read it in Slovene, titled Perzepolis: Zgodba o otroštvu. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Persepolis
MarJane Satrapi

A unique and enlightening coming-of-age graphic memoir set in Iran, and weighted with high-contrast illustrations that transport us to another time and place.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

SUMMARY
Marjane Satrapi is the great-granddaughter of one of Iran’s last emperor‘s, and her parents are committed Marxist’s. PERSEPOLIS is her childhood memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. Black-and-white comic strip images tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen and allow us to learn as she does, the history of her country and her own family. Her childhood saw the overthrow of the Shah’s regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The book paints a portrait of daily life in Iran and the contradictions between home life and public life.

“The revolution is like a bicycle, when the wheels don’t turn it fails.”

REVIEW
PERSEPOLIS is a starkly drawn black-and-white graphic memoir. It’s a touching chronicle of Marjane’s childhood creatively blended with the politics of the time. It is a basic and yet thought-provoking and poignant story. The part I liked most was Marjane’s innocence in questioning all the changes that were happening around her, particularly in 1980, when being forced to wear the veil and when schools were separated by gender. “We didn’t really like to wear the veil, especially since we didn’t understand why we had to.” The vignettes of Marjane with her jasmine-scented grandmother were particularly memorable because of the wisdom and comfort Marjane found in her grandmother’s arms. “...always keep your dignity and be true to yourself.”

Marjane is a smart and outspoken child, and both of these traits serve her well as she has to confront the many challenges of a country in turmoil. A prime example was when she was detained by Guardians of the Revolution for wearing jeans and sneakers. The book is only 153 pages, but you get an excellent understanding of the beliefs and politics of her parents, and her extended family. While the illustrations were dark and heavy it seemed particularly fitting for the period of overthrow, revolution and war.

Middle school age students desiring exposure to other cultures and anyone who likes to explore unique literature formats should take a look at PERSEPOLIS. Author Marjane Satrapi was born in 1969 and grew up in Tehran, where she studied at the Lycée Français before leaving for Vienna and then going to Strasburg to study illustration. She has written several children’s books, and her illustrations appear in newspapers and magazines throughout the world, including The New Yorker and the New York Times. She currently lives in Paris. In 2005, she published Persepolis 2, a continuation of her memoir covering the story of her life in Vienna and her eventual return to Iran.

Thanks to my brilliant son for the gift of this book and for awakening me to the many literary adventures still awaiting my attention.
Publisher Pantheon
Publication June 1, 2004 ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Jun 14, 2018 |
Satrapi’s style is almost primitive, consisting of flat figures with simple shapes and features. It’s more sophisticated than a child’s creations, but it superficially resembles them, an approach that supports the presentation of memories from that period of life.

Marjane Satrapi's ''Persepolis'' is the latest and one of the most delectable examples of a booming postmodern genre: autobiography by comic book.

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aarne, TainaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deluze, EveLetteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gasparini, GianluigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CelineAdditional hand letteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sparagana, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
EXCEPT FOR MY GRANDMOTHER I WAS OBVIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE WHO BELIEVED IN MYSELF.
IT WAS FUNNY TO SEE HOW MUCH MARX AND GOD LOOKED LIKE EACH OTHER. THOUGH MARX'S HAIR WAS A BIT CURLIER.
TO EACH HIS OWN WAY OF CALMING DOWN.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.
Please determine if your item is a videorecording of the film adaptation Persepolis, a copy of the first of four Persepolis graphic novels published in France, a copy of the English edition Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, or a copy of the Complete Persepolis. Then please separate it and combine it with the appropriate item.

An intelligent and outspoken only child, Satrapi--the daughter of radical Marxists and the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor--bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,244,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible